X9 Owners & Riders Club
July 23, 2018, 17:36:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The DONATE button below isn't working since the server move. To donate use the one on the web pages. Thanks.
The recent crash has means restoring from backup as of Saturday evening 14th July so posts on Sunday morning may be missing. The fault developed around noon on Sunday.

Home   Help Website Gallery Login Register Donate  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: parts request  (Read 2785 times)
chippyzip
Provisional

« on: August 23, 2016, 18:38:02 »

Hi I have a 2 year old X10 in mint condition, but just lately I've noticed that the lower plastic deflector (No 6 in the image) has two of it's tabs broken. I've been to a website (oem-parts.hu are selling the part for over 100 euro's! Does anyone know of a dealer that sells parts for the X10?

Graham 

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=plastic+deflector+for+piaggio+x10&espv=2&biw=1333&bih=603&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjb-NjbktjOAhUGWRoKHQgeDvkQ_AUIBygC&dpr=1#imgrc=i3Oq6_WxMCXlDM%3A

Piaggio X10 500cc executive
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Cafe Racer

X10 350ie Executive & Ural cT

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 23:16:39 »

I use A. J. Sutton, and I doubt prices are much different. Some of the X10 plastics cost a bomb, that bit especially! So few X10's in the UK that I doubt there's much in the way of second hand parts either, and which may just as likely be similarly damaged. I was surprised at some of the plastic clips (aka 'tabs') on mine, a cynical person might say they were DESIGNED to snap off if you're too rough prising / pulling them out. The steel spring clips always rust making breakage even more certain so at the earliest opportunity take everything apart and grease them all pronto.

Murphy's 4th law of motion states that any small object that is accidentally dropped will immediately hide itself under a larger object.
allen m
Provisional

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 17:40:24 »

Hi Graham
How about plastic welding?
A lot of proper body shops (not 'Chipsaway' or similar) can do it these days because of the number of plastic panels on car & bikes. Worth asking round.
Regards
Allen Morgan

Allen Morgan. First time scooter rider (X9 Evo 125cc Imperial Blue 2006 reg) since January 2014 after being on Bikes from 50cc to 650cc since 1958 (and cars since 1962).
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Cafe Racer

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 23:30:57 »

I know this part, it's like transparent perspex and has very small like brackets on it, best bet would be Araldite the broken bits back on IMHO ... also it is screwed to the silver trim part and the screw pillars can snap off too. It's really quite fragile for where it's located and will likely smash if you just drop the bike on it's side while standing still.

Murphy's 4th law of motion states that any small object that is accidentally dropped will immediately hide itself under a larger object.
frankiej1949
Provisional

Manchester

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 09:50:57 »

This is the reason I sold my 350 and my 500, rust buckets and flimsy fixings. Every time it went in for service they had to replace a panel, waiting time for parts was a joke.

Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive in Pearl Racing White on a 14 plate
Piaggio X10 500 Executive in Bianco Perla on a 13 plate
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Cafe Racer

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 11:32:30 »

Yes the plastic snap-in tabs can break off quite easily especially if the spring clip has gone rusty, it seems almost deliberate so that Piaggio then have to sell you a new panel! (Hence the waiting time) My first blue 2nd hand X10 was also 2 years old, and had a few missing tabs, I broke a couple off myself and felt somewhat guilty about it until I discovered that they'd been broken off before and then glued back on. So actually it was the glue that had failed. Araldite is a bit tougher but in any case you MUST grease the spring clips as that's what makes sure they come out most easily. Otherwise, a good spray first with WD40 to lubricate the steel clip, before attempting to pull/prise it out (I often have to use a big flat blade screwdriver as a lever), especially if it's rusty. TBH I'm not surprised that a dealer's mechanic wouldn't manage any better, and break something, especially if not yet familiar with this model and it "foibles".

JohnF
Provisional

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 16:19:22 »

Chippyzip/Graham, if you haven't already replaced the deflector, try Easyparts. They are in Holland, the website has an english language version, and they are very reliable. They are quoting 81€ plus postage for the part. I lost one of mine for the very reason that Mike H quoted - dropped on it's side. Had the new part within a week (I am in France).
Give them a try, I have used them for a number of years and find they are good for all sorts of spares. They also always answer questions about parts etc.
www.easyparts.nl

Piaggio shopping trolly - 2012 model 4T Fly 125
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: