Current Licensing Laws

If you're thinking of riding anything with an engine, you need to do the CBT first. Even long licence holding car drivers will need to do this one day basic safety course which will 'teach Grandma to suck eggs', but you may get a few insights you hadn't considered from a car driving perspective. The CBT is valid for 2 years only then has to be re-taken unless you pass one of the full riding tests. Once done you can look into the...
Theory Test
If you're booking all your training through one company, they may be able to book this for you. If not, check the Driving Standards Agency website for details of your nearest test centre or call the DSA on 0870 010 1372 between 8am and 6pm weekdays to book.You can obtain training software CD's and books to help. The test is not the same as for a car, so even a fully qualified car driver has to re-sit the theory test. You only need pass this once to progress through any of the age related practical tests.
Practical Test
This is now split into two separate tests, Module 1 which is an off-road (hard surface course) where you do basic handling manoeuvres under observed conditions, such as:

  • wheeling the moped or motorcycle and using the stand
  • riding a slalom and figure of 8
  • a slow ride and a u-turn
  • cornering and a controlled stop and emergency stop
  • cornering and hazard avoidance

followed if you pass, by a Module 2 test which consists of:

  • an eyesight check
  • "show me, tell me" vehicle safety questions
  • Observed road riding and independent riding

The type of bike and your age determine what category of licence you are eligible to take:

Licence category





Minimum age of rider





Engine capacity

Up to 50cc

120 to 125cc

At least 395cc

At least 595cc

Maximum speed

Up to 28mph

55mph or above



Engine power

Up to 4kW

Up to 11kW

20 to 35kW

At least 40kW

Power to weight ratio



Up to 0.2 kW/kg


Power to weight ratio if you use a sidecar


Up to 0.16kW/kg


Up to 0.16kW/kg

See for up to date details.