X9 Owners & Riders Club
April 19, 2024, 04:07:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Website Gallery Login Register Donate  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brown Trouser Moment  (Read 7731 times)
Derek
Old Fart
Old Timer

« on: February 02, 2006, 21:24:17 »

On the way over to the Mother-In-Law this evening I had to pass under a bridge on a bend at the bottom of a hill that can normally be taken in excess of the speed limit. Approaching it tonight I saw something glisten on the road surface so decided to scrub some speed off and applied all brakes and went into an horrendous tank slapper that I only just managed to get out of before hitting the bend. Dearie me  I said to myself I wonder what caused that. Carried on and everything was fine until I used the brakes next and again a seveer wobble occurred but nothing like as bad as before. When I got home I checked the bike and found the front tyre pressure was 14psi  . On investigation I found that the angle adaptor I'd fitted to the front tyre had become loose and was leaking air. Tightened it all up, inflated tyre to correct pressure, took it for a test and all was OK. Phew! Must confess it's been a couple of weeks since I checked the tyre pressures

When I was a kid and wanted to be older, this $hit was not what I expected

FuocoRider.co.uk
Dave G
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 21:33:34 »

Glad you got out of it ok, but I guess that's a good reminder for everyone to check their pressures regularly especially when those two little bits of rubber are all that is between you and the hard stuff!
mcbiker
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 22:17:36 »

Remove the adaptor all together, throw it away, their dangerous.
Derek
Old Fart
Old Timer

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 22:24:58 »

I cannot get my digital gauge or a tyre inflator on without the adaptor as my hands are not very nimble. I usually loosen the adapter and align it paralell with the wheel when not in use limiting its effect in the air stream. The rear tyre I have no problem with.

FuocoRider.co.uk
loudy331
Cafe Racer

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 23:17:39 »

only ever had a tank slapper once and came off it happened that quick, glad to see you held it derek  

05 250 evo blue with piaggio top box,pics,external aerial,scorpion stainless (noisy) exhaust.
jimc
Club Elder
Old Timer

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 23:27:59 »

If you must use the angled valve adapter (I can understand why), use it on a pump that has a digital pressure gauge, and fit to the pump before using on the original valve.  Do not leave it on the bike.

I've never had to top-up any of my tyres (10 in total now) that have been Ultrasealed.  Just a thought...

Jim Crowther
GT200L (The Hornet), GTS300 (in CA)
loudy331
Cafe Racer

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 23:34:29 »

poor rab yesterday,as his bike had been off the road for a few months decided to go check his pressure's he rode along the the garage,on connecting the air line it deflated his front tyre,he said to the woman in the garage what happened,she replied " i know, the air line's broken" there was no sign on it   ,poor sod had to push it to the next garage,his wife phoned me looking for him as he'd been away for over an hour (had vision's of his 125 broken down again) och well he needed the exercise  

05 250 evo blue with piaggio top box,pics,external aerial,scorpion stainless (noisy) exhaust.
Derek
Old Fart
Old Timer

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2006, 23:42:08 »

That's a good

FuocoRider.co.uk
DrChip
Stunt Rider

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2006, 05:06:30 »

I have had the rubber valves removed and a steel angle valves fitted and bolted to all my X9's wheels as I will also with my new one X9's, they never have leaked on any of the bikes I have had and they pumping and checking air pressure a breeze..  for $7 each they are worth it
« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 05:09:58 by DrChip » Logged

"There are 10 kind of people in the world, them that understand binary and them that don't"

"A Recycled Teenager loving & living life in Bunbury, Western Australia"

Yamaha (08)TMax-500 Steel Gray, Nokia N95 8GB, Nolan N42
johnp
Old Timer

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2006, 05:22:11 »

Good to see your fine Delboy as it could have been worse. I check my tyre`s every other week.

I.A.M member:
Barnfields Plumbing & Property Services

wayne
Stunt Rider

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2006, 06:02:05 »

Glad to hear you are OK  

Does the adapter alter the wheel balanceing ?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 06:02:36 by wayne » Logged

First x9 Blue 250SL, Second X9 Silver 250 Evo with PICs and LEDs. Owned a X9 500 in yellow. I  have owned a Yamaha T Max which I Loved riding it.Back to a X9 250 evo. Ex-owner a Black T Max mk2.Gave up biking as it was getting to the point where it was better for me to give up for a number of reasons.
Lots of Things have happened since I stopped riding, Now I am giving it a second Go.
Quinn
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2006, 15:40:10 »

Quote from: DrChip
I have had the rubber valves removed and a steel angle valves fitted and bolted to all my X9's wheels as I will also with my new one X9's, they never have leaked on any of the bikes I have had and they pumping and checking air pressure a breeze..  for $7 each they are worth it

Angles valves, eh? So that's the trick to giving the tire's air. Is this a special Piaggo part order or can I pick some up at any motorcycle shop? I went to the gas station to use their air pumps and realized I couldn't easily get at the air valves with that steel plate thingy in the way. Finally wrestled nozzle onto air valve using the force and scratched up my hands in the process.

Derek
Old Fart
Old Timer

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2006, 17:09:31 »

Should be able to get them from a bike shop.

FuocoRider.co.uk
jimc
Club Elder
Old Timer

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2006, 17:12:58 »

Or from any tyre (tire) place that does lorry (truck) tyres.

Jim Crowther
GT200L (The Hornet), GTS300 (in CA)
collinp
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2006, 17:28:25 »

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: