X9 Owners & Riders Club
April 19, 2024, 10:42:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Website Gallery Login Register Donate  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Horrible weather  (Read 58055 times)
johnp
Old Timer

« on: January 08, 2004, 20:06:52 »

Did anyone go out on there bike today. I went to work in the downpour. I usually go on the M25 but as it was very windy i didn`t go on the motorway, but went up the A roads. The A roads were less windy but i could not belive the amout of water on the road. At one point there was a huge puddle right across the road, and the only way to keep myself upright while going through it was to dangle my feet into the water. But go to work alright and had a dry journey home.

I.A.M member:
Barnfields Plumbing & Property Services

chiefkeefe
Old Timer

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2004, 20:19:42 »

No, not me John.  Partly 'cos I'm not feeling 100% at the moment, and partly because the lure of the heater and air con won the day.

However ... with good riding gear, rain doesn't bother me as long as I feel confident that others can see me.  the trouble is, even with air con and rapidly clearing misty windscreen, it can sometimes be hard to see PTWs on the dismal mornings.

So ... wear something bright, a white lid works too, and dominate your lane!  Don't ride in the gutter, and be more careful when filtering.  Watch out for slippery diesel, wet leaves and white lines and do all your braking in a straight line if possible.

Above all, expect everybody else to be out to kill you and you won't go far wrong!

Be safe, everybody, so I have time to meet you before you have an 'off'!!!

(What a cheerful sod!)

Keith

1992 BMW R100GS PD
2014 BMW R1200GS LC
2017 SWM SM650R
1983 Moto Morini Kanguro 350 X1
Triumph Tiger 800XC
Piaggio X9 500 Evo; X9 500 DL etc .
Neil B
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2004, 20:22:36 »

Luck must have been with me a bit today, My new 100% waterproof jacket would not do up as the zip bust . So old faithful came out. It was cold and damp but no rain.  

That was until I got into the car park at work and had just locked the bike.

Did it rain or what!!

I did feel sorry for our Security Guy's outside checking ID's  
« Last Edit: January 08, 2004, 20:23:43 by Neil B » Logged
Mr.Chips
Administrator
Old Timer

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2004, 20:32:40 »

Mike.
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU GT - HAL
When did you last read the Highway Code?
Now part of the NE England Chapter.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
Edmund Burke
Dave Milnes
Administrator
Old Timer

Fylde Coast

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2004, 21:36:58 »

I was out the other evening and it was fairly cold, and I was geting a bit chilly on the arms and was thinking I must be getting soft as it never bothered me last winter. When I got home I was putting something in my wardrobe when I found the inner thermal liner from my jacket that I took out for the summer! With it re-fitted it's plenty warm enough now and tomorrow is another scooter-use day regardless of the weather.

2004 X9 500 Evo in YELLOW - 2016 Maxsym 600i Sport
Anderton 2004, Pen-y-cae 2005, Matlock 2006, Hay on Wye 2007, Minehead 2008, St Florence 2010, Newent 2011, North Kyme 2012, Betsw-y-coed 2013, Hardraw 2014, Parkend 2015, Whitby 2016, Mundesley 2017, Derby 2018, Telford 2019, Loch Doon 2020, Cumbria 2021.
Neil B
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2004, 21:41:28 »

When I got home I was putting something in my wardrobe when I found the inner thermal liner from my jacket that I took out for the summer! With it re-fitted it's plenty warm enough now and tomorrow is another scooter-use day regardless of the weather.
Lets hope it's not too long before you have to remove it again. ::  
hobart
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2004, 21:43:14 »

I was certainly very windy this morning, especially as I live on top of quite an exposed hill. Didn't dare try to pass anything, as the bike seemed to be being blown across the road. Glad I didn't buy anything lighter.
wayne
Stunt Rider

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2004, 21:48:29 »

Hi All

Left for work this morning and just starting to rain but with a hooded windstopper and jacket and bright black and yellow waterproof and new winter gloves and Baglux handlebar Mitts and didn't need my heated grips on and padded cobra waterproof pants got to work nice and warm even before christmas when it was freezing cold still got to work warm and toastie.  

But as Joyce says it does restict the lift saver a bit.

First x9 Blue 250SL, Second X9 Silver 250 Evo with PICs and LEDs. Owned a X9 500 in yellow. I  have owned a Yamaha T Max which I Loved riding it.Back to a X9 250 evo. Ex-owner a Black T Max mk2.Gave up biking as it was getting to the point where it was better for me to give up for a number of reasons.
Lots of Things have happened since I stopped riding, Now I am giving it a second Go.
JJ
Resident Forum Rain God
Rider for the Ride
Old Timer

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2004, 22:52:12 »

I seemed to hit a clear window this morning when I got on my scoot at 04:50 to ride the 20 miles to central London. The roads were wet and there was a bit of a wind blowing but no rain at all until after I'd got to work...... then the heavens opened.

Whatever, it still beat the trains hands down.

JJ

JJ Over 70k total X9 Miles -
Follow that with over 90k on Burgmans

2014 Blue Triumph Bonneville America
USR, FBOS,

A survivor of :Isle of Wight, Shropshire, France '04&05, Wales,Wessex, Hay on Wye and Minehead..it rained! Germany 08..we got lost!!! Kings Lynn 09 ...it rained on the way back !!! Kent 8 - they ran away!!!! About to get lost in France '11

Smoke me a Kipper...
Mark Arnold
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2004, 00:37:34 »

I rode into work this morning at 6:20am, wet, windy and cold outside but I was warm and dry thanks to my belstaff jacket and trousers  ! The heated handgrips I had fitted a few months ago are worth their weight in gold, my Buff did a good job of keeping the cold off my neck and Fogcity visor once again did a great job of allowing me to see!
I don't mind the cold and wet, I enjoy the cold and dry more but the outstanding weather protection offered by the x9 is second to none, hope you are all safe and upright after all this weather.
As Billy Connelly once said 'There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes!'.
Aaron
Stunt Rider

Webmonkey

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2004, 11:09:09 »

As Billy Connelly once said 'There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes!'.
How true! ::

Aaron

Barney
Stunt Rider

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2004, 12:51:51 »

[span style=\'color:blue\'] [span style=\'color:blue\']Whether the weather be cold
Or whether the weather be hot.
Whatever the weather,
We'll weather the weather,
Whether we like it or not ! ::

I used to be dyslexic, but I'm KO now[/span]
[/span]
« Last Edit: January 09, 2004, 12:53:11 by barney » Logged

2012 Honda Silverwing 600
The Power of Dreams
Rocketman
Old Timer

Northampton Honda Forza 350

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2004, 15:11:30 »

[span style=\'color:blue\'] [span style=\'color:blue\']Whether the weather be cold
Or whether the weather be hot.
Whatever the weather,
We'll weather the weather,
Whether we like it or not ! ::

I used to be dyslexic, but I'm KO now[/span]
[/span]
Hi Barney,

Me thinks you got to much time on your hands,perhaps a bit of charity work to occupy your mind.  

Regards

Steve

Steve
Ride Safe Ride Upright
Toastmaker general at Craig Y Nos castle 2005
 ISLE OF WIGHT 2004,  WALES 2005,  MATLOCK 2006,  HAY ON WYE 2007. MINEHEAD 2008. NORFOLK 2009. PEMBROKESHIRE 2010. NEWENT 2011. NTH KYME LINCS 2012. SNOWDONIA 2013. YORKSHIRE DALES 2014. FOREST OF DEAN 2015. WHITBY 2016.MUNDESLEY 2017.DERBY 2018.TELFORD 2019.
SCOTLAND 2015 SCOTLAND 2023

Honda Forza 350

Neil B
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2004, 09:15:24 »

Well, its not as bad outside as I thought it would be today.

But I am tucked up in bed nice and warm, and only looked out the window!  

Is it as windy as they said it would be?

If so I think I may have to lash the cover down thats over my bike.  
Mr.Chips
Administrator
Old Timer

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2004, 09:21:13 »

I'll tell you when I get back.
I'm taking a friend down to Victoria Coach Station in half-an-hour.
I think it's very wet and very windy!

Mike.
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU GT - HAL
Edmund Burke
Neil B
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2004, 09:37:20 »

At the moment it's raining slightly here, but I can hear the birds singing in the tree at the end of the garden so it's not that bad now.  

I think the worse is yet to come. I have to go out at 2pm to pick my daughter up from school(on the bus) lets hope it's not too bad.  

Good luck around Victoria Coach station, watch out for the tourists who look the wrong way before they step into the road!  
Mr.Chips
Administrator
Old Timer

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2004, 09:42:40 »

Thanks Neil.
I think if there are any tourists out in London in this weather, they deserve to be run over!
But seriously, I shall be very careful.
It should have stopped raining in an hour or so.
I'm looking forward to cruising along the Embankment. I LUV London.
Best wishes,
Mike  

Mike.
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU GT - HAL
Edmund Burke
johnp
Old Timer

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2004, 18:44:46 »

Today i went to work by car. (sorry) The weather people on the tv said that there will be flooding and 60-70mph gales, that`s why i took the car.
   :grrr: But i should have known better THEY GOT IT WRONG. This afternoon turn out sunny and dry, so i could have taken the bike to work after all. I missed the love of two wheels and not stuck in traffic.

I.A.M member:

johnp
Old Timer

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2004, 20:52:14 »

Went to work on Berol today and i pooped myself 3 times as the cross winds try to throw me off. Made it to work and had a very strong coffee before i started work. Weather should be better tommorrow. Let`s hope.
Must say how stable she really was. If i was on a vespa et4 i don`t think i would of stayed on.

I.A.M member:

Mr.Chips
Administrator
Old Timer

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2004, 21:32:45 »

I went to JT's via one section of the M25 - wind on the Port bow. Very unnerving. Kept speed down to 60.
Coming back was good, though and decided to ride on round to Enfield. Wind behind this time. I kept to 70 but the X9 wasn't paying much attention to that!

Mike.
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU GT - HAL
Edmund Burke
Mr.Chips
Administrator
Old Timer

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2004, 15:13:36 »

Hello everyone.
I hope all who've had to go out on two wheels today have managed to keep safe.
I've just been out in the truck and there's so much surface water about I'm thinking of building an Ark.

Mike.
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU GT - HAL
Edmund Burke
Chris
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2004, 15:20:59 »

The weather's beautiful here in Durham.  A bright, sunny day with no wind.

A pity because I came to work in the car!

johnp
Old Timer

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2004, 16:53:30 »

I have just got back from Shenley, and i came along the old road. There was so much water on the road i wore a snorkel. But this morning going to work was lovely. The roads were dry and there was no wind.Pefect.

I.A.M member:

BarryCello
Rider for the Ride
Stunt Rider

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2004, 18:14:02 »

Is that the same snorkel you wear to the Ace on Saturdays ????      

Stay dry

BarryCello

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up , totally worn out and loudly proclaiming;  WOW!!! What a ride.

Double  Burger  Burger   With relish!
John Barlow
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2004, 10:51:06 »

Hi, fellow all weather commuters.

Damaged car being checked today by engineers.

So, Plan B - go to work on the X9. No need to leave early, no traffic problems and can park outside the office.

Opened front door and there she was - sparkling silver and looking real pretty. So.........plan C - got in Lynnes silver Megane Coupe, put on the heaters, pushed in the CD and turned up the volume!    

Traffic awful, parked a taxi ride from my office but, when it's cold, dark and raining tonight I'm sure I will be pleased with my choice.

Will just have to grab a cocoa and get on the old heated rollers tonight! ::

Sorry folks - obviously I' a Wuss!!

Take care,
jb.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: