X9 Owners & Riders Club
February 18, 2020, 00:18:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New member confirmation emails may not be going out so keep checking back using the log on details you asked for.

Home   Help Website Gallery Login Register Donate  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: X10 500 solid ABS warning light  (Read 149 times)
ramjet
CBT

« on: February 07, 2020, 14:49:46 »

OK, Latest saga! Any helpful suggestions appreciated

As previously told, I had to remove the rear caliper to remove a stuck pad retaining pin so I could fit new pads. The caliper was pretty clean and pistons moving OK. Made a point of not touching brake levers at all while caliper off as I did not want to upset linked brake balance. Put copper grease on pads sides/back and silicone grease around piston edges. Replaced caliper and bled, which only took a couple of minutes for bubbles to stop. Brakes felt normal just pushing in shed, and turning ignition on at this point gave normal flashing ABS and ASR lights.

Took it for a brief road test yesterday. Flashing lights went out as normal in first few yards. Brakes working normally. After about 5 minutes of town riding I got a solid ABS light and flashing ASR. Solid ABS now comes on when ignition turned on. I have tried the following

Check front and rear ABS sensors. Appear normal, undamaged and clean.

Pull and replace fuses for ABS (ignition off) (Large one in clear cover beside battery, and 5 A one in fuse box)

Bleed front right caliper which is linked to rear. Only a tiny amount of air escaped

Bled nipple on brake balance valve under windscreen. Again, tiny amount of air only.

Brakes still have good feel. Solid ABS light remains

I'm a bit concerned is MoT due soon and no point turning up with ABS light on. I suppose the ABS unit/electronics could have coincidentally packed up while I was on my test ride, but find that unlikely

Bike is 14 reg 500 with 12,000 miles and is kept in shed and cleaned and maintained by me regularly

Is there anything else I could try? I haven't had a chance to road test it again, but with solid ABS light from ignition on I don't think this would help. Thanks for any suggestions

PS Don't think I can try the calibration process as you need to start the process with everything working OK
Dave Milnes
Administrator
Stunt Rider

Fylde Coast

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 19:36:59 »

My guess would be electrical. ASR is similar to ESP and interfaces with ABS so I would say either another sensor is faulty or there is damage to wiring or a poor connection to a sensor somewhere.

2004 X9 500 Evo in YELLOW - 2016 Maxsym 600i Sport
Anderton 2004, Pen-y-cae 2005, Matlock 2006, Hay on Wye 2007, Minehead 2008, St Florence 2010, Newent 2011, North Kyme 2012, Betsw-y-coed 2013, Hardraw 2014, Parkend 2015, Whitby 2016, Mundesley 2017, Derby 2018, Telford 2019.
ramjet
CBT

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 20:41:35 »

I thought so too, but sensors must have been OK when flashing ABS and ASR lights went out after starting ride, before (at least one) failing 2 minutes later. Seems unlikely, but next step is to test/rule out sensors. At £48 each though I wouldn't like to buy one, then another, and still have fault. Will investigate manual and see if I can test with meter. Thanks for your reply Dave.
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Cafe Racer

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 21:56:45 »

Have you done the calibration procedure? If I remember right, you get two flashing lights until you start riding, then they go out, but if after a while it thinks the wheels are revolving at different speeds the lights come on as a warning. Then you need to go thru the calibration procedure so that it learns what's the correct number of pulses from each wheel, for normal riding. IIRC this is to accomodate for tyre wear, so it must be quite sensitive to what are really small changes.

Murphy's 4th law of motion states that any small object that is accidentally dropped will immediately hide itself under a larger object.
ramjet
CBT

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 17:01:59 »

Thanks, but with a solid ABS light now from ignition on I don't think I can try the calibration process. Awaiting arrival of a new multimeter and will try checking ABS sensors/connections
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Cafe Racer

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 19:18:51 »

I forgot it was solid. What does the handbook say?

Murphy's 4th law of motion states that any small object that is accidentally dropped will immediately hide itself under a larger object.
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Cafe Racer

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 19:21:16 »

Going back to the beginning, if it's throwing the error from switch on implies it's not getting correct test results from a sensor, e.g. short or open circuit

Noggin the Nog
Provisional

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 20:48:41 »

Having been here, I feel your pain. If you've not already done it, check the clearances of the abs/asr sensors, that the sensor rings run true & the slots in the rings are clear. The sensors are beggars to check, and can appear to be OK even if not functioning correctly. As you've read in my thread on this subject, finding the problem can be, er, interesting.
btw: although I convinced myself the calipers were OK as I'd managed to get the pistons to move, they were probably not retracting sufficiently.
Good Luck

2013 Piaggio X10 350: 1999 Moto Guzzi California Special 1100: 2003 VW T4 custom dive bus known as "Turbo Turtle"
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Cafe Racer

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2020, 16:43:30 »

Yes, IIRC, if the sensor rings / discs are only slightly bent, they're screwed.

Can get similar prob in the car world, where the sensor rings are toothed, and go rusty. The rust obscures the boundary between teeth and slots and confuses the black box.

ramjet
CBT

« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 16:47:55 »

Thanks for the replies. Rear ABS disc was previously replaced with a new one. All was perfect before I had to remove the rear caliper to remove pad pins to replace rear pads . So neither front or rear ABS sensors disturbed after working fine long term. So only likely cause was removing/replacing rear caliper and bleeding system (rear only, then front right, then balance valve) After doing this both lights were still flashing at switch on, and both went out within yards of test run before solid ABS came on. Not had time to investigate further yet but will be doing so soon. ( I think manual says in event of solid ABS light tape over for MoT!)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: