X9 Owners & Riders Club
March 28, 2024, 08:54:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Website Gallery Login Register Donate  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: X10 500 ignition switch play  (Read 6179 times)
ramjet
« on: January 22, 2020, 15:53:01 »

Had a recent problem once when after making an uneventful journey I got on scoot to come home but although key turned to right ignition and instruments did not come on. It was as if there was too much free play and the barrel was turning ok but not enough for switch to make contact. After 5 minutes of retrying and locking/unlocking steering it came on OK and started and ran normally.

Next day as I was leaving work (After starting normally first time) the bike cut out and instruments and lights went off and flashing red immobiliser light came on (so just like turning the ignition off)

I stopped, turned ignition off and on and it restarted normally. I was able to ride home fine (54 miles of mainly motorway in increasing darkness) so needless to say I was terrified it might cut out again when I was in a dangerous position and speed.

I have tried the switch dozens of times today but works normally. There does seem to be quite a bit of free play in switch/barrel but as several parts join together I don't think its excessive. Looking in from the front under the instruments I can see the wire circlip is present and seated. I have not yet tried to remove whole barrel assembly as I am not sure how much more dash panelling I will have to remove. Has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas? I want to be sure it's secure as I don't fancy it cutting out again at motorway speeds!
Dave Milnes
Administrator
Old Timer

Fylde Coast

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 16:16:45 »

If its like the X9 there are 3 sections to the assembly. The key barrel which engages with the lock pawl which engages with the actual ignition switch.
The pawl sits loose in the shaft and the key barrel locates then is held by a 'hidden' circlip and the switch plugs in the front end again held with a more visible circlip.
Too much end play and the barrel or the pawl may lose engagement with the switch and not quite turn it enough then a road bump jolts it off again.
There is a photo of the assembly in the gallery somewhere.

2004 X9 500 Evo in YELLOW - 2016 Maxsym 600i Sport
Anderton 2004, Pen-y-cae 2005, Matlock 2006, Hay on Wye 2007, Minehead 2008, St Florence 2010, Newent 2011, North Kyme 2012, Betsw-y-coed 2013, Hardraw 2014, Parkend 2015, Whitby 2016, Mundesley 2017, Derby 2018, Telford 2019, Loch Doon 2020, Cumbria 2021.
ramjet
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 17:14:32 »

Have found the pictures thanks, and the Piaggio parts diagrams. Workshop manual has no detail on assembly at all.  Looks pretty similar to X10, although shorter overall length. I think I will need to remove whole assembly and see if there's anything obviously loose or broken. Watch this space!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: