X9 Owners & Riders Club
September 22, 2019, 06:07:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New member confirmation emails may not be going out so keep checking back using the log on details you asked for.

Home   Help Website Gallery Login Register Donate  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A day fixing a 500  (Read 210 times)
Solo
X9 Photographer
Cafe Racer

« on: August 28, 2019, 00:12:07 »

On a hot day you be out riding, but today fixing a friends X9 500, its a bit battered, has problems and new engine fitted.

Manage to by pass all the center stand loom and safety switch to get the dam electric stand ram to move as someone has rewired it, just me to see it lose pressure and **** fluid out, so that gone.

Next the owner wants the 500 with the 250 twin lights so that in the works, then replaced some damage panels and still trying to get his brake light to work as last onwer as run a wire from the brake input of the dash straight to the brake light switch then straight to the brake light bulb.......so trying to figure that out,

Final problem, interment starting, kills are all ok, side stand too, swapped soliniod over nothing and checked starter relay, stil no clicking and immobilizer light goes out fine no codes.. yet still wont start the 10000 times pressing button it starts, so iam thinking bad earth on starter motor next.

toke the X9 500 for a spin, hated it, front end very stiff and heavy, put air in tire still same, come to conclusion head bearings are too tight as its last thing that had done to the X9, and to finish off the brake brakes sqeek.

not too much to do

(5X) Piaggio X9 125 (1x) Piaggio X8 125 (1X) Aprilia Atlantic 125 (1x) Gilera Runner (5x) Pioneer Nevada 125 (1X) Shineray 125 (1X) siamoto 125 (1x) Piaggio Zip **Biking since 2005**

FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/SOLO.Biker.Leeds
Photography: https://www.flickr.com/photos/solo-photography/
unchained
Cafe Racer

I seem to be collecting X9s!!!!

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 04:35:04 »

After riding a 250sl the 500 (especially the Evo) do seem very heavy and lumpy. You get used to it after a while though but they are never as throwable as a good 250.

Bob

X9 125cc 51 Reg in red (now sold)
X9 250sl 03 Reg (Given away, it left me in the back of a Micra!!!)
X9 500sl 03 Reg, now in Black
X9 500 Evo 04 in blue
Mr.Chips
Administrator
Stunt Rider

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 08:14:35 »

It took me around six weeks to come to terms with my 500 after two years on the 250sl.

I came to realise that the 500 had to be 'driven' whereas one just had to 'think' what one wanted from the 250 and it did it.

Mike.
2013 Honda Silverwing 600: 'The Crowman' - Pure Black, ABS, Givi Airflow Screen, Top-Box and Universal Handlebar Muffs.
When did you last read the Highway Code?
Now part of the SW England (Salisbury) Chapter.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
Edmund Burke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoPlwPUYWaw&feature=channel
Gav
Provisional

Dovercourt Essex

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 13:03:35 »

My first Atlantic a 125 seemed to be prone to tramling and bumps put it offline, however a new set of boots transformed it.

There is a road that runs alongside  the River Stour and I reckoned I could do the 10 miles from here to the next town on same stretch of water,quicker on that than some of the higher powered stuff owned, but cant say the same regarding the current 500 one,  and albeit the only thing I rode after my Futura accident, first time out when on the mend,on 2 wheels,the roads had been gritted, the old screen opaque and feeling top heavy, didnt instill instant confidence, not to mention the Atlantic's then habit of cutting out at slow speed.
Later , but then having later high sided my Cagiva en route to Ireland,maybe its an age related case of running out of talent, but that said after a refurbishment last year I still was finding it a bit vague around the front end, however a few more PSi's in the front tyre has improved that no end.

Still set up going into corner with a touch of rear brake and if all clear power through /point and squirt,  I caught up with some bikers who had roared past through a 30 limit coming back from an evening Village Green Meet, on the next de restricted bit.Also I dont find the front brakes so confidence inspiring as on that single front disc modular scoot, that may of course be due to the vastly extra torques from the Commander engine over the Leader one.https://live.staticflickr.com/4562/38956315191_15d4f67382_b.jpg
looking forward to some cooler weather???

« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 14:07:30 by Gav » Logged

Dave Milnes
Administrator
Stunt Rider

Fylde Coast

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 09:18:38 »

The 500 (Evo) is really sensitive to tyres, not only pressure but brand. Mine felt a bit odd with Avons so I swapped to City Grips which feel dull but safe like the original Michelin Gold Standards. Pirelli Diablo are really good on the Forza and will probably go on the X9 next. Not sure what to do with the Avons, they are OK in the dry but the rear is lethal in the wet.

2004 X9 500 Evo in YELLOW - 2018 Honda Forza NSS300
Anderton 2004, Pen-y-cae 2005, Matlock 2006, Hay on Wye 2007, Minehead 2008, St Florence 2010, Newent 2011, North Kyme 2012, Betsw-y-coed 2013, Hardraw 2014, Parkend 2015, Whitby 2016, Mundesley 2017, Derby 2018, Telford 2019.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: