X9 Owners & Riders Club
August 21, 2019, 07:28:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New member confirmation emails may not be going out so keep checking back using the log on details you asked for.

Home   Help Website Gallery Login Register Donate  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oil leaking from coolant pump bypass pipe  (Read 720 times)
Mr Nozzle
CBT

« on: June 03, 2019, 20:32:32 »

Hi all, I managed to have a look under my X10 today to try and find the source of the oil leak. It seems to be from the coolant pump pipe. Would there supposed be any oil in here? The hose jubilee clip seems to be broken, in the way it won't tighten fully. The hose also seems to have been cut an odd angle and doesn't sit flush with the end.
Dave Milnes
Administrator
Stunt Rider

Fylde Coast

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 07:19:25 »

Any chance of a photo as not sure what you mean by coolant pump by-pass.
If you mean the open ended little small bore drain pipe attached to the water pump shaft casing (between upper and lower swing arm bolts on the end cover) then oil leaking from there indicates a failed inner oil seal, if it's coolant leaking then it's a failed outer ceramic seal, if it's an emulsion of oil and coolant then both seals have failed.
These fail at about 18-20,000 miles from new but then last a bit longer second time.

2004 X9 500 Evo in YELLOW - 2018 Honda Forza NSS300
Anderton 2004, Pen-y-cae 2005, Matlock 2006, Hay on Wye 2007, Minehead 2008, St Florence 2010, Newent 2011, North Kyme 2012, Betsw-y-coed 2013, Hardraw 2014, Parkend 2015, Whitby 2016, Mundesley 2017, Derby 2018, Telford 2019.
chippyzip
Provisional

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 17:01:49 »

Any chance of a photo as not sure what you mean by coolant pump by-pass.
If you mean the open ended little small bore drain pipe attached to the water pump shaft casing (between upper and lower swing arm bolts on the end cover) then oil leaking from there indicates a failed inner oil seal, if it's coolant leaking then it's a failed outer ceramic seal, if it's an emulsion of oil and coolant then both seals have failed.
These fail at about 18-20,000 miles from new but then last a bit longer second time.
Blimey, that's a bit quick for the seals to break, I've done only 11,000 miles from new over 4 years, so I'd better be prepared for it to happen to me sometime! BTW, would the repair be fairly straight forward? or will it need to be taken to a garage??
Graham 

Piaggio X10 500cc executive
unchained
Cafe Racer

I seem to be collecting X9s!!!!

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 17:52:10 »

Not sure a picture will help you Dave as its a 350!!!

Chippyzip, to answer your question; I wouldn't worry until it happens, if the scoot is used regularly it tends not to happen as often but the seals get dry and fail when not used.
When the oil seal does fail, assuming the engine in the X10 is mounted similar to the X9, with frame work in all the wrong places, then unless you are fairly competent then I would leave it to a garage.
The outer water seal is a piece of cake; drain coolant, remove pump cover, unscrew pump propeller and slide off and replace ceramic seal. Making sure the new one is inserted the correct way around and that there are no greasy finger prints left on it.
The oil seal is buried further down the prop shaft and has to be very carefully removed without scratching the shaft, Dave has a clever way of doing this, but I have yet to master it, and whomever attempted it with the Evo, prior to my ownership, couldn't do it either and the result involves dropping the engine to remove the side casing and replacing the prop shaft.

Bob

X9 125cc 51 Reg in red (now sold)
X9 250sl 03 Reg (Given away, it left me in the back of a Micra!!!)
X9 500sl 03 Reg, now in Black
X9 500 Evo 04 in blue
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Cafe Racer

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 23:05:00 »

Hi all, I managed to have a look under my X10 today to try and find the source of the oil leak. It seems to be from the coolant pump pipe. Would there supposed be any oil in here? The hose jubilee clip seems to be broken, in the way it won't tighten fully. The hose also seems to have been cut an odd angle and doesn't sit flush with the end.

Oil has a habit of making its appearance nowhere near where it's actually coming out of, are you absolutely sure?

Murphy's 4th law of motion states that any small object that is accidentally dropped will immediately hide itself under a larger object.
polecat
Provisional

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 07:59:14 »

if it's covering your rear disc in oil that's the two seals  leave the ceramic seal alone just do the oil seal a couple of hours job first time
polecat

scooter piaggio x7 250ie 2008
bedlington northumberland
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Cafe Racer

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2019, 13:07:18 »

Looking at photos of the power unit, I can't see how that can happen, seems a long way to travel.

Y'all are aware that this is the same as the 350 Beverley motor?

Murphy's 4th law of motion states that any small object that is accidentally dropped will immediately hide itself under a larger object.
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Cafe Racer

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2019, 13:21:32 »

Service manual, cooling system starts on page 318 (PDF page numbers)

https://manuals.wotmeworry.org.uk/Piaggio/Piaggio%20X10/X10%20350ie%20Exec/x10_350ie_workshop.pdf

Dave Milnes
Administrator
Stunt Rider

Fylde Coast

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2019, 15:20:03 »

Water pump is right behind the front exhaust pipe UGH!

2004 X9 500 Evo in YELLOW - 2018 Honda Forza NSS300
Anderton 2004, Pen-y-cae 2005, Matlock 2006, Hay on Wye 2007, Minehead 2008, St Florence 2010, Newent 2011, North Kyme 2012, Betsw-y-coed 2013, Hardraw 2014, Parkend 2015, Whitby 2016, Mundesley 2017, Derby 2018, Telford 2019.
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Cafe Racer

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2019, 16:21:12 »

Yup. Itsa bee-yotch

Mr Nozzle
CBT

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2019, 15:38:07 »

I've given up trying to load photo's. I'm on a work pc with firewalls and can't find a hosting site.
The oil does seem to be coming from the hose on the bit just above and to the left of the oil draining plug. The centre stand gets covered if left for more than a few days. I'll renew the jubilee clip on the hose as the one in place seems to be slipping when tightened.
Techno
CBT

ZX10R, XJR1300, X10

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2019, 16:35:22 »

I've given up trying to load photo's. I'm on a work pc with firewalls and can't find a hosting site.
The oil does seem to be coming from the hose on the bit just above and to the left of the oil draining plug. The centre stand gets covered if left for more than a few days. I'll renew the jubilee clip on the hose as the one in place seems to be slipping when tightened.

Try a hosting site e.g. Flicker.   It's just about impossible to diagnose this sort of oil leak without them, you need to picture not just the leak but all the surrounding area, oil has a nasty habit of travelling.  It's quite possible your problem is just a leaking oil drain washer, these are often reused many times and over tightened, which deforms them and they leak, owners then try and tighten even more which actually make the leak worse.  Fingers crossed this is all it is, with the oil running along the centre stand pivot and collecting on the water hose. 

Post the pictures mate.     
Mr Nozzle
CBT

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2019, 17:28:35 »

« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 19:10:05 by Mr Nozzle » Logged
Mr Nozzle
CBT

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2019, 19:06:55 »

Right, this should hopefully work

https://imgur.com/a/9SwbMmW
Mr Nozzle
CBT

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2019, 19:09:00 »

fingers crossed
Mr Nozzle
CBT

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2019, 19:11:21 »

fingers crossed
Techno
CBT

ZX10R, XJR1300, X10

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2019, 23:12:19 »

It's just a picture of the pipe I need pictures of the whole area to be certain, as I said oil travels.  From the picture it doesn't look like an oil leak more coolant mixing with road grime.  Coolant does have an oily/waxy appearance. The pipe looks to have seen better days, it's also possible the hosing union is corroded.  Which is why the hose clip isn't sealing and therefore leaking slightly.  Drain the coolant, remove the pipe and inspect the union, if it's mating surface is damaged it my require the hosing to be replaced.  I'd also replace the hose and clip. 
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Cafe Racer

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2019, 13:20:49 »

Yep I can't see oil in that picture. Hose looks like it's been taken off and put Back wonky. Maybe to drain the system? Jubilee clip looks like it's ready to be retired. V rusty probably why it won't tighten. Also I would have put the screw part on the other side  of the hose, not enough space for it there.

Have you looked at the coolant level, and even the oil level? One or the other may be dropping, as a better indicator.

Mr Nozzle
CBT

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2019, 08:10:23 »

Oil level is constant, coolant is low. I'll take the hose off and renew the clip putting the screw on the other side, thanks Mike. Top up the coolant and hopefully that'll be it.
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Cafe Racer

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2019, 12:10:48 »

OK, yes I think so too. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: