X9 Owners & Riders Club
March 28, 2024, 08:38:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Website Gallery Login Register Donate  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: X10 - April 19 Update  (Read 9000 times)
Mr Nozzle

« on: April 21, 2019, 07:03:43 »

Hi all, happy Easter. A quick update on my X10 350 as I've had it for nearly 6 months now. I've already posted the details of the blown exhaust valve and front brake works, the battery is behaving itself after I cleaned the terminals although I have purchased a new one to go in at some point.
I now have a small oil leak that is covering the centre stand in oil and also covering the paving slab I park the bike on. Strangely the oil level doesn't seem to be getting any lower. I will investigate further today if it's not too busy at work.
The front brakes also need investigating, it seems that one or more of the pistons is sticking or one of the discs has warped slightly. After pulling the brake I can hear and feel it sticking / rubbing. Wheel off today hopefully and examine.
I'm thinking I may sell it when all faults have been rectified, I do like it but I've had nothing but trouble with it and it's not the easiest of machines to work on.
Have a good day everyone   
spannerman
Stunt Rider

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 12:43:52 »

Identify if the oil leak is from the engine or the wet clutch hub.
The oil filter cover has had a few changes from my early Beverly.

Dave Weller, Chatham VespaGTS250, Royal Enfield 350 HNTR. NC750X
Dave Milnes
Administrator
Old Timer

Fylde Coast

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 20:07:19 »

Water pump seal leak, I think the X10 has a little drain pipe rather than a simple hole in the cover?

2004 X9 500 Evo in YELLOW - 2016 Maxsym 600i Sport
Anderton 2004, Pen-y-cae 2005, Matlock 2006, Hay on Wye 2007, Minehead 2008, St Florence 2010, Newent 2011, North Kyme 2012, Betsw-y-coed 2013, Hardraw 2014, Parkend 2015, Whitby 2016, Mundesley 2017, Derby 2018, Telford 2019, Loch Doon 2020, Cumbria 2021.
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Stunt Rider

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 18:13:47 »

Yes there is a short hose with a plastic plug in it, this drains the air filter box. I did think it might be the air filter cover joint leaking perhaps.

Or, maybe the plug is missing from the end of the hose?

Murphy's 4th law of motion states that any small object that is accidentally dropped will immediately hide itself under a larger object.
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Stunt Rider

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 18:19:27 »

The front brakes also need investigating, it seems that one or more of the pistons is sticking or one of the discs has warped slightly.

My blue X10's ones was so bad the front wheel couldn't be turned by hand when jacked off the floor. All the pistons had seized so both brakes effectively stuck on. Amazing it would still drive like that. I managed to clean up and free them all (requires calipers off and pads out) and "exercise" the pistons by pressing back and pumping out several times, until moving freely, then coated with Brembo grease.

Murphy's 4th law of motion states that any small object that is accidentally dropped will immediately hide itself under a larger object.
Mr Nozzle

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 18:31:06 »

Thanks for all the advice Gents. I've not had a chance to look at the front brakes yet, I'll get the wheel off and do as Mike H did, hopefully that'll do the trick.
I have managed to clean the underneath somewhat and get a picture of the hose thingy that sits above the centre stand that doesn't look like it's sitting right. There seems to be oil leaking from here. Checking the oil level, it seems to be over filled. I'm going to drain some out and re sit the hose and see if that stops the leak. I'm sure there's a way of adding a photo but I can't work it out.
Dave Milnes
Administrator
Old Timer

Fylde Coast

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 18:34:55 »

There is a tutorial in the help section for photos, but basically they need to be hosted on-line then linked into your post.

2004 X9 500 Evo in YELLOW - 2016 Maxsym 600i Sport
Anderton 2004, Pen-y-cae 2005, Matlock 2006, Hay on Wye 2007, Minehead 2008, St Florence 2010, Newent 2011, North Kyme 2012, Betsw-y-coed 2013, Hardraw 2014, Parkend 2015, Whitby 2016, Mundesley 2017, Derby 2018, Telford 2019, Loch Doon 2020, Cumbria 2021.
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Stunt Rider

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 16:45:46 »

I have managed to clean the underneath somewhat and get a picture of the hose thingy that sits above the centre stand that doesn't look like it's sitting right. There seems to be oil leaking from here. Checking the oil level, it seems to be over filled. I'm going to drain some out and re sit the hose and see if that stops the leak.

There should be a plastic clip to hold the end of the air filter box drain hose, so it shouldn't be just flapping about loose. You pull it out its clip, lower it down, then pull the plug out to drain, after first putting something underneath to catch anything.

First time I refilled mine the book was wrong about the capacity, as it was overflowing onto the floor! Not 1.4 litres then, I think in the end it was 1.2 litres. I had to suck out about 300cc to get it down to max on the dipstick if memory serves.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: