X9 Owners & Riders Club
March 28, 2024, 08:48:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Website Gallery Login Register Donate  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A quick service.  (Read 10691 times)
Mr Nozzle

« on: November 29, 2018, 18:40:00 »

I've got all the bits I need for a quick, piece of mind, service for my new (to me) X10 350. I've also got a set of rear brake pads as it was an advisory on the MOT that was done a couple of weeks ago. The oil level is on the minimum and all the insides (that I've looked at so far) show signs of minimum / none extra care, i.e. dirt and dust everywhere. I've cleaned and ACF50'd the outside and inspection cover innards but want to strip and do the lot. As I'd be doing this on the pavement outside my house and with the not so good weather here at the moment, I'm going to concentrate on the basics first. Spark plug is easy, Oil and filter change seem easy (can I get the filter off without the specific tool?), checking drive gear oil is easy as is filling up / changing if needed, I presume? I've read the posts about panel removal and everything that comes with this, a tad daunting but hey ho, I've got to get used to it. I'm no expert at mechanics but don't mind having a go, should I just trust this to a Piaggio recommended service centre? There's one in Chichester just half hour down the road from me. 
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Stunt Rider

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 21:06:20 »

I've used a chain wrench on the oil filter no prob. Be careful refilling the engine oil, it wasn't what it says in my service manual, I tried to put in 1.8 litres or whatever it was, and it overflowed onto the floor. Had to suck some out. 1.2 or 1.3 litres, something like that. You'll need something like a long tube and a funnel to get it in.

Behind the engine somewhere is a hose with a plug in the end, to drain oil in the air filter box, will need the end pulling off to empty any gunge.

Service schedule says change the final drive oil at 1st 1000 km, but seems not the mention anymore after that, but I would get a small sample out to look at the colour and feel of it. If clean and not runny, OK.

I also had a 2012 one, my first one, what I found when taking panels off was an incredible amount of caked on dirt stuck to the frame tubes etc., from dirty spray going up inside the bodywork, but of course not get-at-able to wash off.

Make sure you can undo the Allen screws that hold the brake pads in. These have like a blue paint as a thread lock and can be utter s0ds to remove. I've been lucky, but I had to take all the pads out of my blue one and clean and grease the caliper pistons because they were seizing up. I succeeded in freeing them off, and gave them all a light smearing of Brembo grease, to try keep further dirt and water away.

Also read up about the fusebox problem.

HTH

Murphy's 4th law of motion states that any small object that is accidentally dropped will immediately hide itself under a larger object.
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Stunt Rider

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 21:11:08 »

Murphy's 4th law of motion states that any small object that is accidentally dropped will immediately hide itself under a larger object.
Mr Nozzle

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 10:34:43 »

Magic, thanks Mike.
Mr Nozzle

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 14:04:16 »

Right, spark plug, Oil and filter all changed. Wasn't too painful. I used water pump pliers for the oil filter, no drama's. 1.5 litres to fill back up. Thanks for the tip Mike, I used a long neck flexi funnel as advised, no spillage.
I glanced briefly at the rear brake caliper, this didn't make the brake pads any better though, looks like I'll have to actually take the caliper off and change pads.
spannerman
Stunt Rider

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 19:35:17 »

If you have a long (6mm) allen socket and a good 1/4 or 3/8'' socket set you can reach the pad pins without taking the wheel off. I did it on my 350 Beverly. There is a good selection of long sockets available these days on Ebay. Don't try moving the pins using the standard 'L' shaped keys as before you put the required force on it, it will not stay square to the pin. From experience of others on the site, why they put that blue thread lock on we'll never know. With a good socket you can give it a good bash to seat it before trying to turn it.    

Dave Weller, Chatham VespaGTS250, Royal Enfield 350 HNTR. NC750X
Mr Nozzle

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 21:39:27 »

Thanks Spannerman. I have a Halfords Advanced socket set that hasn't let me down yet, I'll have a go tomorrow
Mr Nozzle

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 09:23:02 »

It's raining today, I've booked her in to a garage for them to do the brakes. Drive belt also and a full check over.
Noggin the Nog
Cafe Racer

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 19:03:39 »

Out of curiousity, if you don't mind me asking, how much was the belt/caliper service visit. (just a ballpark figure will do).

2013 Piaggio X10 350: 1999 Moto Guzzi California Special 1100: 2003 VW T4 custom dive bus known as "Turbo Turtle"
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Stunt Rider

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 19:19:53 »

+1 ...

Mr Nozzle

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2019, 10:55:39 »

The drive belt + fitting and rear brake disc + pads and free up the seized pistons was just over £500.
They're also charging me for a new exhaust valve and seals after it blew up on the way home! It's still there and should be ready next week. 
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Stunt Rider

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2019, 17:41:02 »

What the hell? 

Noggin the Nog
Cafe Racer

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2019, 18:59:15 »

Ouch!!

2013 Piaggio X10 350: 1999 Moto Guzzi California Special 1100: 2003 VW T4 custom dive bus known as "Turbo Turtle"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: