X9 Owners & Riders Club
December 19, 2018, 03:31:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Also new member approval emails are not being sent, so keep trying to log on with the credentials you entered. Try again after 24hrs and if approved it should work.

Home   Help Website Gallery Login Register Donate  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: X10 front brake calipers. :headbang:  (Read 968 times)
Noggin the Nog
Provisional

« on: May 11, 2018, 07:26:19 »

Not sure that it's worth spending anymore time trying to extricate the blasted brake pad securing screws, so looking at the possibility of new calipers.

Is there a list anywhere of calipers which will fit (and stop the bike)? I've been trawling the internet for CM068316 and 317 calipers and have noticed that a lot of other calipers advertised for other models look very, very similar.

2013 Piaggio X10 350: 1999 Moto Guzzi California Special 1100: 2003 VW T4 custom dive bus known as "Turbo Turtle"
roadster
Provisional

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 07:37:47 »

If you are going to the trouble of removing the callipers I would be inclined to strip out the rubber parts, cut the pads free with a Dremel, then use heat on the calliper body to loosen the threaded part.  I made the mistake of trying to do the rear calliper in situ and drilled out the pins. Although I did succeed in the end it would have been far easier to start by taking the calliper off.
Techno
CBT

ZX10R, XJR1300, X10

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 16:13:20 »

The issues with these calipers is mainly two fold, 1 they use a too high strength thread locking compound, 2 it's cheap s/steal into aluminium.  Normally heat will do it but as with everything there's heat and there's heat!  Most try and are successful using butane DIY plumbers blowtorch, but these don't burn hot enough for the stubborn ones.  They just end up heating up the whole caliper, possibly wrecking the seals and not softening the compound.  What you need is acetylene just on the pin, it's so hot the heat goes straight down the pin and softens the compound in seconds, not enough to damage anything. 

The other way once you've buggered the caphead, is to spot weld a allen key into the rounded off caliper pin, the heat from the weld softens the compound and the key which is now welded to the pin will with a socket get the pin out.  You don't need to attack things with Dremels, obviously you need access to acetylene and or a welder.  Both should be accessible at a local car workshop, just explain and if they give you funny looks, go elsewhere!

In both cases as mentioned take the caliper/s off.

Once they're out fit new and a little dab of chopper grease on the thread.             
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Cafe Racer

X10 350ie Executive & Ural cT

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 20:06:46 »

If possible I would like to find an engineering works and give it to them? Such firms have been useful to me in the past and I think in every case they had a solution that I would never have thought of, or were able to use a technique I never knew existed.

E.g. there were at least 2 cases of bleed nipple snapped off in a caliper, which were removed by an arc erosion machine.

Murphy's 4th law of motion states that any small object that is accidentally dropped will immediately hide itself under a larger object.
Noggin the Nog
Provisional

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 11:57:45 »

Hi
Should anyone be "breaking" (hah!) an X10 I'd be interested in both front calipers for sorting over the winter (I'd do the ones on it but don't want the bike off the road too much as it's the winter ride.
TIA

2013 Piaggio X10 350: 1999 Moto Guzzi California Special 1100: 2003 VW T4 custom dive bus known as "Turbo Turtle"
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Cafe Racer

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 16:28:54 »

Is this still going on? 

Murphy's 4th law of motion states that any small object that is accidentally dropped will immediately hide itself under a larger object.
Dave Milnes
Administrator
Stunt Rider

Fylde Coast

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 17:10:09 »

Probably on the bonfire by now...that'll loosen the pin!

'04 X9 500 Evo in YELLOW - LED's, K&N, twin lights, bleepers...
'68 NSS300 Forza in Crescent Blue
Noggin the Nog
Provisional

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2018, 17:01:35 »

Nope, the bike has been in general use, which is why I was hoping to get another set of calipers to work on.

However, in the last few days, life has thrown a wobbly which means the bike probably won't be doing much for 5 months so I'll have time to work on the existing calipers.

Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Cafe Racer

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2018, 14:30:06 »

Did occur to me if you keep using it you're going to wear the pads down anyway. Thus shortening the postponement.

Noggin the Nog
Provisional

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2018, 16:52:51 »

The day would've come eventually.
My wife works several days a week at the place where I volunteer.

A lot.

Some of my work involves taking tools, kit and chainsaws etc. As my wife has to be at work a lot earlier than me, I usually put any gear I need in her car. Due to redevelopment on the site, they've decided to close her department for 5 months. If I go in, I'll need to carry my own gear but, cavernous as the carrying capacity is, the scooter just won't take it all.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: