X9 Owners & Riders Club
March 29, 2024, 05:39:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Website Gallery Login Register Donate  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quick question  (Read 11211 times)
chippyzip
Cafe Racer

« on: February 15, 2018, 15:03:36 »

Hi,

I've had the X10 laid up over the winter, with just the battery optimizer, keeping the battery charged up, and apart from starting it for 5 mins or so, I haven't been out on it since November last year.
I've noticed however, that with the scooter sitting on the main stand, the back wheel  doesn't move freely. I can't remember if it's supposed to be free, or locked up with the rear brake on, if it is a bit stiff, what's the best way to free it? a good dollop of grease?

Cheers

Graham 

Piaggio X10 500cc executive
Dave Milnes
Administrator
Old Timer

Fylde Coast

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 16:12:12 »

Start it up and rev it while the wheel is off the ground. The drake disc may be stuck to the pads. Check that the rear calliper isn't sticking, give it a good hard pump a few times. There is nothing else that could cause it to go tight.
The 500 X10 is the same as the 500 X9 Evo with the Brembo calliper at the back isn't it, or have they adopted the Chinese Heng Tong items!!?

2004 X9 500 Evo in YELLOW - 2016 Maxsym 600i Sport
Anderton 2004, Pen-y-cae 2005, Matlock 2006, Hay on Wye 2007, Minehead 2008, St Florence 2010, Newent 2011, North Kyme 2012, Betsw-y-coed 2013, Hardraw 2014, Parkend 2015, Whitby 2016, Mundesley 2017, Derby 2018, Telford 2019, Loch Doon 2020, Cumbria 2021.
roadster
Cafe Racer

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 08:44:39 »

Probably not too much to worry about but if your inclined to get on your knees and give the back wheel and the brake calliper itself a really strong rattle around there would generally be enough give in the wheel bearings and the floating calliper mounts to restore some play at the brake pads. If that is what's binding you will notice the change even if the wheel still makes a bit of noise when you turn it. If that makes no difference then its the drag in the very cold transmission gearbox and clutch.
Else if that is all a bit more trouble than its worth make your first spring run no more than a few miles then stop and check that everything is back to normal and the rear calliper and disk are not too hot to touch.

Sorry about all the nested 'ifs' I've been doing too much programming lately!
chippyzip
Cafe Racer

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 12:53:02 »

Thanks a lot for the advice, I can't wait to get back on it, however, a belt and roller change is on the horizon, as I'm going to Belfast in the summer for WVD in Belfast, while the missus is taking the plane!
Anyone know of any good (perhaps cheap) stockists of OEM belts?

Graham

Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Stunt Rider

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 14:13:56 »

Interesting, mine's been standing a while but both wheels are free. (Just been out to check.)

You might have seizing caliper pistons, causing the pads to bind. Guess how I know.

Had this happen with the old blue X10, one day I wanted to check front tyre pressure - it's on the mainstand - just need to rotate wheel to get access to the valve, easy, just pull up on the spokes to turn wheel backwards. This normally works on every bike I've had but it wouldn't budge. Ended up jacking the wheel off the floor. Still wouldn't budge! Locked solid! 

The pistons were starting to corrode and so were stuck "on". Managed to free them off, calipers off and pads out, then a good clean up around the pistons, then levering them back and pumping them out several times. Then I applied a good smear of Brembo grease (safe for seals) around the pistons, then reassembled the pads and put the caliper back on. I had to do this with all 3 calipers. If this is your problem it needs sorting ASAP otherwise will just get worse and the pistons may end up too badly damaged.

PS: I also Brembo greased all the new white X10's pistons soon as I got it (bought brand new).

PPS: I also have a Ural 750 and did ditto to that (also bought brand new).

HTH

Murphy's 4th law of motion states that any small object that is accidentally dropped will immediately hide itself under a larger object.
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Stunt Rider

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 10:31:18 »

No more news on this?

Murphy's 4th law of motion states that any small object that is accidentally dropped will immediately hide itself under a larger object.
chippyzip
Cafe Racer

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 09:05:18 »

Managed to get the rear wheel free, by giving the brake pads a tap with a rubber mallet!

I've bought a new OEM belt and I'm going to get 19g rollers- do I need 6 or 8?
and does anyone have a step by step guide on removing the belt cover and that plastic cover that's over it? I guess it's about the same procedure as changing the belt on the GTS...

Graham 

Dave Milnes
Administrator
Old Timer

Fylde Coast

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 13:13:52 »

X10 will be 8 rollers.
If it's the same as X9 then remove the big cross head screws and pull off the plastic cover. Undo the rear clutch hub nut and pick out the washers, then the 8 or so 8mm bolts around the edge of the cover then the 4 big ones down the holes. Then pull it off. Remove the washer from the clutch shaft (don't lose it) then undo and remove the nut and 2 washers from the variator shaft keeping the washers in the same position (one is domed and has to be correct orientation). Lift off the variator outer half then the belt complete with rear pulley/clutch. Finally the inner half of the variator compete with inner tube, spacer washer and roller plate and rollers. Leave the chamfered washer on the shaft unless you feel like cleaning it, but put it back the correct way around.
Replace everything in reverse order.
To get the belt wedged as deep into the rear pulley as you can, twist the two pulley halves so they open up then bury the belt as deep as you can then when you fit the outer front pulley half it doesn't trap the belt and all your nut tightening isn't wasted on squashing the belt.
Basically the same as a GTS but a bit bigger.

2004 X9 500 Evo in YELLOW - 2016 Maxsym 600i Sport
Anderton 2004, Pen-y-cae 2005, Matlock 2006, Hay on Wye 2007, Minehead 2008, St Florence 2010, Newent 2011, North Kyme 2012, Betsw-y-coed 2013, Hardraw 2014, Parkend 2015, Whitby 2016, Mundesley 2017, Derby 2018, Telford 2019, Loch Doon 2020, Cumbria 2021.
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Stunt Rider

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 13:46:57 »

and does anyone have a step by step guide on removing the belt cover and that plastic cover that's over it? I guess it's about the same procedure as changing the belt on the GTS...
Nothing on youtube, thought there was but is for 350cc / Beverly motor...

I've bought a new OEM belt and I'm going to get 19g rollers- do I need 6 or 8?
Is 19g different to stock, and if so why?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: