X9 Owners & Riders Club
October 20, 2018, 06:38:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The DONATE button below isn't working since the server move. To donate towards hosting costs please use the one on the web pages.

Home   Help Website Gallery Login Register Donate  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I have a damp patch guys...  (Read 2970 times)
chippyzip
Provisional

« on: April 20, 2017, 07:54:53 »

The other day whist sorting out my scratches on the X10, I could smell the familiar whiff of petrol, and there underneath the petrol tank was a small pool of petrol. I looked underneath with a torch and found that petrol was dribbling from the tank near that rubber bung or what easyparts.nl call a "puffer" (go and see!) https://www.easyparts.nl/showdrawing/19642/142627/713B/0-4019-1-m420-m15057-m19642-s19647-d142627/Fuel-tank.html
I gave the underside a good clean, and put some paper underneath to spot if any more came out.
This morning, I checked, and there was a dry patch in what looked like, and smelled of petrol, but had dried out..
Now I'm fearing the worst- a knackered tank, but I do have a tendency to overfill the tank - in some cases I fill it right up to the brim, as I did a few days before I noticed the patch - could that be the problem?
I'm going to leave the scooter in the garage for a week, and see what happens, but if the tank is leaking, what other attempts should i try, before handing a very large wad of cash to my ever so eager repair shop down the road?

Graham 

Piaggio X10 500cc executive
Dave Milnes
Administrator
Stunt Rider

Fylde Coast

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 08:02:42 »

The 'puffer' is I think just a rubber grommet that a post moulded into the tank pokes through to locate the tank. The leak may well be from the expansion/breather pipe above but trickles down to the lowest point. Over filled tanks often bled out of the breather pipe on X9's so it may be the same thing, petrol expands when hot and the tank can get quite warm with heat soak from the cylinder head and exhaust header. I have never heard of any cracked, split or any other faults with the moulded tanks on Piaggios.

'04 X9 500 Evo in YELLOW - LED's, K&N, twin lights, bleepers...
'68 NSS300 Forza in Crescent Blue
Expat47
Provisional

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 13:43:01 »

I agree with Dave. It sounds like the overflow tube. Go for a few miles drive then have a good look again tomorrow. If there's any sign of gas (petrol) then you've got a problem.

--
C'you,
Don
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Cafe Racer

X10 350ie Executive & Ural cT

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 16:23:49 »

Just FYI I never brim mine, soon as pump nozzle cuts out leave it at that, I've tried getting that last bit extra in, just overflowed everywhere so don't try that anymore. (Which tested the drain holes in the rubber mat thingy that fits around the filler cap!)

PS do it on sidestand too which may make a difference in terms of max. level.

Murphy's 4th law of motion states that any small object that is accidentally dropped will immediately hide itself under a larger object.
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Cafe Racer

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 16:28:30 »

PPS the breather system is '10', 'puffer' (5) is a rubber bush for where front of tank is supported on the front cross member.

HTH

Murphy's 4th law of motion states that any small object that is accidentally dropped will immediately hide itself under a larger object.
Noggin the Nog
Provisional

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 17:56:08 »

From experience I try not to "brim" the tank too much and never fill the tank with the bike on the centre stand, especially if I'm filling the tank when I'm nearing home. It'll try and leak as soon as you park it on the side stand.

2013 Piaggio X10 350: 1999 Moto Guzzi California Special 1100: 2003 VW T4 custom dive bus known as "Turbo Turtle"
chippyzip
Provisional

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 11:01:46 »

Panic over, gave the scoot a good run down the A1 over the weekend- 54 miles and the bottom of the tank was as dry as a bone..! I was starting to think this could be an expensive repair!

Graham 

Piaggio X10 500cc executive
Mr.Chips
Administrator
Stunt Rider

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 11:14:40 »

Mike.
2013 Honda Silverwing 600: 'The Crowman' - Pure Black, ABS, Givi Airflow Screen, Top-Box and Universal Handlebar Muffs.
When did you last read the Highway Code?
Now part of the SW England (Salisbury) Chapter.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
Edmund Burke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoPlwPUYWaw&feature=channel
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Cafe Racer

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 17:14:48 »

False alarm! 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: