X9 Owners & Riders Club
October 20, 2018, 06:37:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The DONATE button below isn't working since the server move. To donate towards hosting costs please use the one on the web pages.

Home   Help Website Gallery Login Register Donate  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Piaggio X10 not produced anymore  (Read 3878 times)
dado099
CBT

« on: February 27, 2017, 16:22:02 »

Yes you got it,
I just read on italian news that X10 and XEVO will be no more being produced from Piaggio factory.  
Noggin the Nog
Provisional

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 17:08:41 »

I wonder what it is about the new emissions standards that they found so daunting that they couldn't be incorporated in an updated model?

Or will we all be going electric?

2013 Piaggio X10 350: 1999 Moto Guzzi California Special 1100: 2003 VW T4 custom dive bus known as "Turbo Turtle"
Expat47
Provisional

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 10:07:21 »

I dropped by my friendly neighbourhood Piaggio dealer this AM. He confirmed that the X10 is out of production but had no idea why or what was going to replace it.

Damn!!! You think they're going to become classics this soon????  ::

--
C'you,
Don
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Cafe Racer

X10 350ie Executive & Ural cT

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 11:32:32 »

As far as I can tell they never sold many, so most likely simply a case that Piaggo thinks it's a flop.

Only 4 years in production - reminds me of the Ford Scorpio!

Murphy's 4th law of motion states that any small object that is accidentally dropped will immediately hide itself under a larger object.
Noggin the Nog
Provisional

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 17:10:24 »

Weird, huh?

After looking at several different options I bought mine 'cos the reviews were good and I liked the look of it. It seemed to be the right m/c for what I wanted & still think so.
Showed it to a friend who's in the market for a new bike but didn't fancy a maxi scoot.
He had a look round it & said  "if that's what they're like I may well get one".

Mind you, I like Guzzis and they don't sell in numbers either.

2013 Piaggio X10 350: 1999 Moto Guzzi California Special 1100: 2003 VW T4 custom dive bus known as "Turbo Turtle"
dididowell
dididowell
Cafe Racer

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 18:36:49 »

As far as I can tell they never sold many, so most likely simply a case that Piaggo thinks it's a flop.

Only 4 years in production - reminds me of the Ford Scorpio!

[/quote
Maybe it's time to change your medication. Comparing an X10 to a Ford Scorpio?

650 exec ALO, 650 Burgman K3

Burger   Burger
JohnF
Provisional

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 22:48:58 »

It’s an interesting discussion.

Euro 4 is a serious matter, and regardless of Britain's association with the rest of Europe after Brexit, the vehicles available in the UK will still have to comply with European regulations, as will Japanese, Chinese etc.

I found this article a good explainer of Euro 4, and how it applies:
https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/features/bikes/what-does-euro4-really-mean

I also agree with the point that part of Piaggio’s reason to dump the X10 range relates to sales. Not enough to justify re-engineering the motor?

I live in the part of the world where scooters are dominant, the South of France (and Italy). I would guess Greece and Spain are the same. Kids start riding them on the roads here in France at 14.  Here they are a necessary part of life for many, including the over 70s. Many a granny will overtake you!

In the north not as much, but here you can have trouble finding parking for them even on the pavements.

We have 2 scooters - an X10 500 and a Fly 125. My wife can also ride the 125 (on her drivers permit). The 125 is great for the daily shopping, bread, wine, veg etc. (the daily essentials)! Winter or Summer. Easy to park and easy around the traffic, especially in Summer.

The X10 is great on the autoroute, BUT too big for regular use here. Parking around the market is impossible.

AND this is the market for scooters - not the UK or northern Europe.

As a regular vehicle the X10 is just too big. I don’t see many here, and I look as an owner! Big motorcycles are something else - Harleys, Ducati etc. but they are for pleasure not utility.

My X10 spent most time in the garage, the Fly 125 out every day.

My X10 is now on sale at the local dealer. Very little mileage and never used. Various reasons - health and the above - the dealer tells me she doesn’t sell many new because they are too big!

So inappropriate design plus Euro 4 signals the death knell of the X10?

I liked the design - and still do - and at full pelt on an autoroute, simply stunning and great fun. Pity really…

John

Ex X10 - now Piaggio shopping trolly - 2012 model 4T Fly 125
Expat47
Provisional

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 04:24:15 »

John's got the right of it... well, mostly. There are fewer bigger scooters around than the 250's and below and 150's are like gnats when the weather is good. That said, I don't have any problems getting around town on the X10. Just yesterday I went into the belly of the beast and even found parking.

I'd like to add price to their demise. By the time I got the top box on her she cost over €6,500 back in 2012 and the 500 was around €8,000. There are motorcycles out there for less than that and they're way cooler than a scooter.

--
C'you,
Don
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Cafe Racer

X10 350ie Executive & Ural cT

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 15:48:44 »

Maybe it's time to change your medication. Comparing an X10 to a Ford Scorpio?

I make no distinctions. 

But also I owned one, if that helps. (?)

Murphy's 4th law of motion states that any small object that is accidentally dropped will immediately hide itself under a larger object.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: