X9 Owners & Riders Club
October 20, 2018, 06:40:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The DONATE button below isn't working since the server move. To donate towards hosting costs please use the one on the web pages.

Home   Help Website Gallery Login Register Donate  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10k service so far..  (Read 2344 times)
chippyzip
Provisional

« on: February 13, 2017, 11:08:41 »

OK, i'm getting down to the first 10k service on the X10 500cc, and I've noticed a few minor differences so far to Mike H service, which I'm following. Maybe it's because I have the 500cc version, I'm not sure...

I started warming the engine up, while removing the cloth cover inside the storage space, and nearly losing a hell of a lot of blood, getting that bloody plastic inspection cover off!

Anyhow, that done, and when the scoot had stood there for 15mins, I started draining the oil. And I noticed that there wasn't a copper washer there with the drain plug. (see pic)Odd,  I thought, and had a closer look at the drain plug. It seems to have a rubber seal around it, rather than using a copper washer!

With the oil drained, It was time for the oil filter. And this is another difference- the oil filter is in a different position, it' mounted vertical and not horizontal as per the 350cc version, nevertheless the oil filter was changed,

I started replacing the spark plugs. I'd always thought that there was a plug at each side of the cylinder, and opened both inspection hatches, each side of the scoot. The tool provided worked well enough, and I was able to replace the plugs. The old ones did look black, and sooty, with some scorching on the side of the plug, but I threw them away.

My next job, once I've thawed out will be the belt compartment filter, I'll see what other differences there could be!

Graham 

Piaggio X10 500cc executive
chippyzip
Provisional

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 13:47:38 »

Ahh, I seem to have hit on a problem.. I tried to get access to the air filter, but there's one screw that you just can't get to, so it would seem that the complete side has to be taken off..

There's no handy thumbscrews to help either, which hampers the problem. I was hoping there would have been some way to access the air filter without all the grief of taking the sides off, but I have no choice.. Still with the panel off, it seems I would also be able to get at the belt compartment filter, if one exists for the 500- The service interval doesn't mention it!

So, I've changed the plugs, changed the oil filter, replaced the oil,checked the fluid levels of both the brakes and water cooling system,checked the parking brake and brakes (all good) and checked tyre pressure and wear ( looks like the rear tyre could do with a change)

It says in the service interval guide that the belt and rollers need changing as well, and for that and the tyre change, I might as well take a trip to see Cheeky Thomas and ask how much a service and rear tyre change would be possible- after all, I've got 2 pairs of Michelin city grips in the garage that could be used!

Graham 

oh, and not forgetting sorting out the light mod as well which went well!!

Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Cafe Racer

X10 350ie Executive & Ural cT

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 12:00:52 »

500cc is a completely different motor and transmission to mine, so comparisons aren't helpful.

Ahh, I seem to have hit on a problem.. I tried to get access to the air filter, but there's one screw that you just can't get to, so it would seem that the complete side has to be taken off..

Same here. I know some people insist that the air filter cover can be removed by accessing the screws through the luggage compartment 'hatch', and without removing the the left rear body panel, but I tried it and one of the plastic 'hand bolt' type headed screws butts up against the body panel before it's finished unscrewing. So not simply a case of it's free, can't remove but doesn't matter, leave it in the cover, cover will still come off. No it's still solid in the filter housing thread.

Murphy's 4th law of motion states that any small object that is accidentally dropped will immediately hide itself under a larger object.
chippyzip
Provisional

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 18:05:27 »

My air filter box hasn't got any of those "thumbscrews" which makes the job a whole of a lot harder. I managed to get all but 1 out.

When, and if I do manage to get to the filter, I might get a couple of "thumbscrews" from a Vespa GTS, and hope they are the same size, which I would think they are!

Graham 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: