X9 Owners & Riders Club
December 15, 2017, 19:31:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: NOW BOOKING for 2018 Annual Bash at Holiday Inn Express, Wheelwright Way, Pride Park, Derby for May 18-20th TEL: 0871 902 1607
The DONATE button below isn't working since the server move. To donate use the one on the web pages. Thanks.

Home   Help Website Gallery Login Register Donate  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coolant Bleed Screws x9 500SL  (Read 1436 times)
oldyella
CBT

« on: December 06, 2016, 16:34:38 »

Been looking for the two bleed screws mentioned in the manual. Found the screw in top of cylinder head left hand side but cant find this one on the right

It is meant to be on the "on the pump intake sleeve controlled by thermostat" I was looking at the plastic sleeve that covers the thermostat but nothing there and its just connected to a hose (I think leads to cylinder head?)
Any ideas or can I just bleed system with cap off reservoir and use the left hand side bleed screw?

'Now a 1 x9 owner
"Mustard" 03 x9 500sl Yellow
'99 AN400Y Burgman Silver
'03 600 Hornet Silver
Several "projects"
unchained
Cafe Racer

I seem to be collecting X9s!!!!

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 18:46:53 »

I have only ever used the bleed nipple on the left side. There's another one?

Bob

X9 125cc 51 Reg in red (now sold)
X9 250sl 03 Reg (Given away, it left me in the back of a Micra!!!)
X9 500sl 03 Reg, now in Black
X9 500 Evo 04 in blue
solorider
Provisional

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 22:34:27 »

When I took the water pump cover off I had to bleed my 500sl with both bleed screws, to find the second one look through the inspection hole under the seat and look to the left side of the bike following the water hose and you should see it and it should be at an angle of approx 45 degrees facing forwards, you will also see it if you have the right upper side panel off but it is not that easy to see as the gaps are small, you can get a long screwdriver onto the bleed valve through the gap beside the seat
oldyella
CBT

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 17:10:47 »

I never found the bleed screw supposedly on the left hand side. I also have "issues" with the screw on the right - its seized and the mount into the plastic casing is moving with the bleed screw. That cant be right!! Anyone know what the casing around the bleed screw is called or have a part number?

'Now a 1 x9 owner
"Mustard" 03 x9 500sl Yellow
'99 AN400Y Burgman Silver
'03 600 Hornet Silver
Several "projects"
unchained
Cafe Racer

I seem to be collecting X9s!!!!

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 19:21:42 »

It would appear to just be called "Joint" and is no longer available: Number 11 on this schematic:

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/5682435/x9-500-x9-500-chassis-number-prefix-zapm27000-1998-2005-chassis-number-prefix-zapm27000-all/head-valves

Bob

X9 125cc 51 Reg in red (now sold)
X9 250sl 03 Reg (Given away, it left me in the back of a Micra!!!)
X9 500sl 03 Reg, now in Black
X9 500 Evo 04 in blue
wozatron2
CBT

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 12:39:57 »

Hi,

Thanks for the above, was helpful for me to have a look on my x9 500 evo and try to find them. I think I've found the cylinder head bleed valve. Is it this? If so- how do I remove the panels to get to it!?
(This is looking at the left hand side of the bike)

« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 12:55:03 by wozatron2 » Logged
Dave Milnes
Administrator
Stunt Rider

Fylde Coast

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 13:08:41 »

Yes 8mm ring spanner needed. If it doesn't bleed take it all the way out and clean out the crud from in the nipple. The Evo only has the one bleed point and it works very effectively. If you don't bleed it properly the temp gauge rises rapidly and the fan comes on even though it isn't really overheating. A 10 second bleed until water squirts consistantly is all that is usually needed after a dry fill.
You should be able to do it through the hatch under the seat unless you have very big hands in which case you need to remove the LH footboard panel. To do this you need the rear brake light and lower panel off, then the lower and upper side panels, then the seat, and tunnel top. You can then take off the rubber footmats and undo all the bolts and screws so the footboard panel can be wriggled out. Sounds a lot but once done it is easy when you do it again.

'04 X9 500 Evo in YELLOW - LED's, K&N, twin lights, bleepers...
'12 NC700D Integra in Cherry Red, K&N, panniers, bleepers...
wozatron2
CBT

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 13:13:45 »

Thanks Dave! Very helpful! I'll have a go and feedback.

Just as an aside- it's very difficult to find information on the 500 evo- all of the information I've been able to track down mentions two bleed points (and black and white grainy pictures!). Thanks for the enlightenment 
Dave Milnes
Administrator
Stunt Rider

Fylde Coast

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 10:28:40 »

The SL has more bleeds due to the thermostat being part of the water pump cover, the Evo has a remote thermostat on the head near the bleed screw so only needs the one.
There is a manual for the Evo on the forum help area which you may not have seen until you posted a couple of times.

wozatron2
CBT

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 18:23:25 »

Hey,

So I bled my x9 (attached a transparent tube between the bleed valve and the reservoir) and ran it. Couldn't see any bubbles in the tube so no air in the system. I checked the oil levels too-all good.
The problem I'm having is that during normal riding (bike moving) the temp gauge sits at half a mark over halfway. If I've been riding for say 20-30 mins and stop in traffic it starts to rise quite quickly in my opinion (2-3 marks above halfway). I do a lot of stop-start riding in central London but it can get up to a mark or two below red (fan clicks on for the radiator). This doesn't seem normal? Anything else I can look at? Or is this behaviour par for the course? Thanks in advance!
Dave Milnes
Administrator
Stunt Rider

Fylde Coast

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 10:55:39 »

Normal. A good thermostat should warm up in a very short time to at least the mid point on the gauge. Temp will rise when idling but as long as the fan cuts in it is fine. A hot 500 is a good motor, a cold running one is prone to oil pump failure which is terminal.
You might find after a bit of use it settles slightly. Try removing the filler cap when the engine is cold, check the level as any air not bled out will have evacuated into the bottle and the level will have dropped. The coolant should just be visible down the tube inside the filler neck. Don't overfill it and make sure the cap is nipped.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: