X9 Owners & Riders Club
March 28, 2024, 08:11:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Website Gallery Login Register Donate  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New x8 owner few issues  (Read 56319 times)
sutty86
Full Cat A

« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2016, 23:07:28 »

Don't suppose anyone got a Haynes and can tell me which setup they go with
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Stunt Rider

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2016, 11:34:19 »

When you slid the end pulley half onto the shaft spline, did it feel like a good fit, or a bit sloppy?

Murphy's 4th law of motion states that any small object that is accidentally dropped will immediately hide itself under a larger object.
The Bern
Cafe Racer

« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2016, 12:13:13 »

Don't suppose anyone got a Haynes 

Go here to read an online Piaggio manual for your machine .... https://www.scribd.com/doc/128870316/Piaggio-X8-125-200-EN ... to save you a bit of time, the relevant pages are 91 to 111 inclusive

Virago 535
Innova 125
Telford & beyond
sutty86
Full Cat A

« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2016, 12:28:38 »

Go here to read an online Piaggio manual for your machine .... https://www.scribd.com/doc/128870316/Piaggio-X8-125-200-EN ... to save you a bit of time, the relevant pages are 91 to 111 inclusive
Legend....

Mike was intially a good fit, grooves all fit into place etc
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Stunt Rider

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2016, 15:55:29 »

Curiouser and curiouser said Alice...

Murphy's 4th law of motion states that any small object that is accidentally dropped will immediately hide itself under a larger object.
Noggin the Nog
Cafe Racer

« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2016, 20:51:57 »

Well, Mike, at least you're a good fit .......

2013 Piaggio X10 350: 1999 Moto Guzzi California Special 1100: 2003 VW T4 custom dive bus known as "Turbo Turtle"
sutty86
Full Cat A

« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2016, 22:34:58 »

The sage continues,
Just waiting for washers/bolts to come now,
Managed to bag new indicators ,clutch and variator(used) for £20 which I thought was a bargin

Right another wee question
When I revved my bike on the center stand it pull to the left(rear)
I have also noticed a few mm play in rear tyre.
Any advice surely this is not normal
Dave Milnes
Administrator
Old Timer

Fylde Coast

« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2016, 09:36:37 »

Radial play is not a problem all drop gears have some lash in them. There shouldn't be any lateral movement along the axle or horizontal or vertical 'wobble' though.
The axle is held at the RH end by a bearing in the swing arm that the silencer is bolted to and this can fail.
On the 500 there is a spacer that goes on the axle after the hub and one that goes between the the swing arm and the hub nut and a lot of mechanics both amateur and professional put both spacers on next to each other and this misaligns the rear wheel and wears the bearing. I don't know if the 125 is the same but if it is, check for this. The tapered one goes on first before the arm and the parallel one last before the nut. Also check the wheel bolts for tightness, nipped but not heaved on. The hub nut itself has been known to come loose if the split pin isn't fitted correctly or a spacer is missing so the nut goes on too far missing the split pin completely.
The bearing in the gearbox usually withstands a faulty spacer fit so long as it's not for too long, but the one in the swing arm fails immediately! Cheap and simple to replace, drift and hammer job.

2004 X9 500 Evo in YELLOW - 2016 Maxsym 600i Sport
Anderton 2004, Pen-y-cae 2005, Matlock 2006, Hay on Wye 2007, Minehead 2008, St Florence 2010, Newent 2011, North Kyme 2012, Betsw-y-coed 2013, Hardraw 2014, Parkend 2015, Whitby 2016, Mundesley 2017, Derby 2018, Telford 2019, Loch Doon 2020, Cumbria 2021.
sutty86
Full Cat A

« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2016, 10:27:55 »

Radial play is not a problem all drop gears have some lash in them. There shouldn't be any lateral movement along the axle or horizontal or vertical 'wobble' though.
The axle is held at the RH end by a bearing in the swing arm that the silencer is bolted to and this can fail.
On the 500 there is a spacer that goes on the axle after the hub and one that goes between the the swing arm and the hub nut and a lot of mechanics both amateur and professional put both spacers on next to each other and this misaligns the rear wheel and wears the bearing. I don't know if the 125 is the same but if it is, check for this. The tapered one goes on first before the arm and the parallel one last before the nut. Also check the wheel bolts for tightness, nipped but not heaved on. The hub nut itself has been known to come loose if the split pin isn't fitted correctly or a spacer is missing so the nut goes on too far missing the split pin completely.
The bearing in the gearbox usually withstands a faulty spacer fit so long as it's not for too long, but the one in the swing arm fails immediately! Cheap and simple to replace, drift and hammer job.
Once again cheers dave
sutty86
Full Cat A

« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2016, 21:12:18 »

Getting ready to sort it all out tomorrow
Just thought I would post this up make sure I've got it right

The  washer (thicker) before the nut will be replaced with a castle washer I have at work which is splined also (don't have kick-start)
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Stunt Rider

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2016, 11:49:58 »

Are you sure the new pulley half (bottom right of picture) has got splines in the middle? I had to save it off then zoom in and zoom in and zoom in and still only just about see what might be spline teeth, plus the metal is not very thick. Seems all a bit strange to me.

sutty86
Full Cat A

« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2016, 18:34:05 »

Yeah definitely got spline teeth
sutty86
Full Cat A

« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2016, 19:26:50 »

Can assure you it's splined buddy
RMS pulley

Good to go
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Stunt Rider

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2016, 12:37:36 »

Hmmm! Had some trouble finding it on the net, but is this?

http://www.scooter-attack.com/front-pulley-rms-maxi-r100320150-39.html?___store=sa_en

Still not convinced it's strong enough - the teeth still seem very shallow to me and the metal is not thick. Other makes I've seen have a steel washer which have the actual spline teeth on, which is then keyed to the pulley by tabs that fit in slots in the pulley. The pair are held together by the shaft nut.

The Bern
Cafe Racer

« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2016, 13:16:13 »

^^^ I agree Mike, it does look feeble on the shaft, I wonder if the way they got it made as a pattern part was to reduce the depth of engagement on the splines compared to OEM spec. I THINK that the steel part you mention is only used on models with a kickstarter, is this the sort of thing that you're thinking of bud ..... http://www.myscooterparts.co.uk/auto-scooter-parts-and-accessories/starter-components/scooter/motorcycle/kickstarter-toothed-washer---fits-to-variator-outer-pulley/vb20300/
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 13:38:37 by The Bern » Logged

Virago 535
Innova 125
Telford & beyond
sutty86
Full Cat A

« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2016, 21:42:11 »

Hmmm! Had some trouble finding it on the net, but is this?

http://www.scooter-attack.com/front-pulley-rms-maxi-r100320150-39.html?___store=sa_en

Still not convinced it's strong enough - the teeth still seem very shallow to me and the metal is not thick. Other makes I've seen have a steel washer which have the actual spline teeth on, which is then keyed to the pulley by tabs that fit in slots in the pulley. The pair are held together by the shaft nut.

Mike I don't think they do them for the 125 model.
I've looked high and low , but this is the OEM standard pulley
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Stunt Rider

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #66 on: January 01, 2017, 16:27:33 »

^^^ I agree Mike, it does look feeble on the shaft, I wonder if the way they got it made as a pattern part was to reduce the depth of engagement on the splines compared to OEM spec. I THINK that the steel part you mention is only used on models with a kickstarter, is this the sort of thing that you're thinking of bud ..... http://www.myscooterparts.co.uk/auto-scooter-parts-and-accessories/starter-components/scooter/motorcycle/kickstarter-toothed-washer---fits-to-variator-outer-pulley/vb20300/

No wasn't exactly like that, the steel tabbed washer was completely flat, and locked down with the nut so it doesn't move, of course I can't find it again now as I can't remember what I typed in the search box before. 

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: