X9 Owners & Riders Club
May 01, 2024, 21:58:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Website Gallery Login Register Donate  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10k Service  (Read 17075 times)
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Stunt Rider

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« on: July 03, 2016, 18:59:37 »

Or in reality, annual service... it now being 1 year old.

Subtract 830 from the below, which was the so-called 1,000 km service ~ OK it went a bit over that time.

From my 'to do' list:

1. Engine oil and filter change, + drain the 'mayonnaise' trap hose. Fit new sump drain washer. I can now see a possible reason why this is copper not aluminium, as there's quite a bit of ally corrosion in the area.

Albeit not at full mileage yet, nevertheless oil was quite a bit dirty looking...

Refilling technique... funnel with a long Honda crankcase breather hose attached... as it happens, or any suchlike thin-walled 10mm tubing...

Note manual is wrong (or mine is), says 1.5 litres, if you try to do that it ends up on the floor, which is what happened to me the first time!  Most I can get in is 1.2 litres then it's right up to max. on the dipstick. Can check again after running engine (new filter) but hasn't gone down.

Oil filter is easily removed with a chain wrench, and if the new one is the Hi-Flo brand it can be tightened with the handle of the suspension 'C' spanner in the slot in the end of the cartridge. Do not need to remove the footboard under panel to do this, just lie on the floor then it's all accessible.

2. Renew sparking plug. First time it's been out since factory, and quite tight. The provided toolkit leverage tool for the toolkit plug spanner socket thingy just bent. Fortunately I also had a tommy bar and that worked, in conjunction with its long box spanner over it (both were bought as a set) as a 'handle' and for extra leverage. However the toolkit plug spanner/socket itself is good, making a firm grip on the plug plus internal protective rubber grommet. This makes it easy to unscrew and replace, if the plug is inserted in the socket first. The plug has two earth electrodes, and wear on the centre electrode was evident in that it was becoming oval, i.e. eroding where adjacent to the earth electrodes.

3. Oil centre stand pivots. Also some of the swing arm too. WD40 on springs, electrics and so on. (Other brands are available!)

4. Clean belt compartment filter... release the rear end of footboard under panel and pull it back as shown below, to get access to the lower front M-8 bolt. The upper front M-8 bolt is accessible through the engine 'hatch' opening (pic above), using a small open-ended M-8 spanner, if a bit fiddly. Otherwise I could use my cordless power driver on all the others. There is also a long bolt in the middle of the plastic cover that needs an Allen key. Can't remember the exact size, 5 or 6mm, -ish.

^ Hardly dirty at all really, but went through the motions anyway, and gave it a going over with the vacuum cleaner.

5. Inspect coolant, brake fluid, brake pads. Coolant was down to min. To be honest I hadn't checked it for some while! Brakes pads thickness can be seen fairly easily by squinting along the plane of each brake disc. Elsewhere I've posted about cleaning and greasing the caliper pistons (with Brembo grease) to prevent them seizing and causing the pads to bind on the disc(s). On my blue X10, 2 years old, ALL were affected; binding was so bad wheels could not be turned by hand when raised off the floor! For the white X10, when it was new (last year), I did this as a preventative measure. Seems to be working... all pads still equal thickness and wheels revolve freely. Ditto parking brake.

6. Check / adjust parking brake. I had need to adjust it up previously, so already done so to speak. The blue X10's I had to strip it down to clean and regrease, as it was seizing up, problee have to do same to this one at some point eventually...

7. Clean air filter? Couldn't be asked in the end, can't get good access without taking rear body panel off. So can wait until another day, as I doubt very much that it's urgent, I was only going to look at it anyway.

8. Inspect throttle control. Not sure what this means, unless yes, works OK, and cables look good. (?) Previously I had already taken out a lot of cable slack, which had made slow riding very "lurchy", i.e. lots of "kangaroo-ing" on small roundabouts etc.

9. Check tyre pressures and wear.

10. Check suspension and steering. See my post(s) in "Suspension Rant" (not my topic), re the 350 adjuster collars, these can seize up if not moved if so need lots of lube to free off, "exercise" them (wind up and down a few times) then wind up to max. preload to get access to the area beneath that's normally covered up at min. preload, and coat with grease. I have already done this so in perfick condition at the mo.

11. Check fasteners for tightness.

Murphy's 4th law of motion states that any small object that is accidentally dropped will immediately hide itself under a larger object.
poldark
Stunt Rider

St Albans, Herts

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 10:32:33 »

Sounds fishy only getting 1.2 litres in, does the manual say 1.5 litres for standard filter/oil change, could there be a second drain plug location perhaps?

Honda NC750X DCT ('17)
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Stunt Rider

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 12:12:44 »

Only one drain plug. Yes plus filter change. Not be at all surprised if manual is wrong, it's wrong about other things. All I know is only 1.2 comes out and only 1.2 goes back in. Tho it's possible a couple of hundred cc's are still left lurking somewhere.

Murphy's 4th law of motion states that any small object that is accidentally dropped will immediately hide itself under a larger object.
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Stunt Rider

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 13:53:55 »

A-HA!!

Found this in the Beverley BV350 service manual:

Engine oil change (03_05, 03_06, 03_07, 03_08)

Have oil changed and cartridge filter 'C' replaced as indicated in the scheduled maintenance table at an Authorised Service Centre.

Empty the engine by draining the oil through drainage cap 'C'. (<< Mistake! Is actually 'B' in the adjacent photo!) In order to facilitate oil drainage, loosen the cap/dipstick. Since a certain quantity of oil still remains in the circuit, (my red) add approx. 1100 to 1200 cc (my red) of oil through the cap 'A'. Then start the engine, leave it running for a few minutes and shut it off: after 10 minutes check the level and, if necessary top it up without exceeding the MAX level. The cartridge filter must be replaced every time the oil is changed. For top-ups and changes, use new oil of the recommended type.

So there you go ... IS correct... 

poldark
Stunt Rider

St Albans, Herts

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 15:43:43 »

Just thought that's not much oil for a 350cc engine, my 125cc uses around 900cc and my X9 250cc Evo around 1.2/1.3ltr I guess the newer 350 design manages to not require any more oil?

Honda NC750X DCT ('17)
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Stunt Rider

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 22:43:00 »

You're asking the wrong person, I didn't design it!  ::::

BUT if quoted capacity is 1.5, then implies 300cc -ish is still left in there after draining.

Dave Milnes
Administrator
Old Timer

Fylde Coast

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 08:28:55 »

Italian owners manuals are notorious for inconsistencies in technical specifications. They aren't even consistent in having the wrong data as if they copy mistakes from one to another, but seem to have unique ones for each model... go figure!

2004 X9 500 Evo in YELLOW - 2016 Maxsym 600i Sport
Anderton 2004, Pen-y-cae 2005, Matlock 2006, Hay on Wye 2007, Minehead 2008, St Florence 2010, Newent 2011, North Kyme 2012, Betsw-y-coed 2013, Hardraw 2014, Parkend 2015, Whitby 2016, Mundesley 2017, Derby 2018, Telford 2019, Loch Doon 2020, Cumbria 2021.
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Stunt Rider

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 16:42:08 »

Quick ride out on it today, nothing fell off and no big oil slick underneath when parked so fink I've problee done it alright.  ::

Short shopping trip to Sibsey village shop for a few larder essentials (bread milk wine beer naan breads crisps cake, )

Then stopped into the Trader Mill Tearooms for lunch, which is like something straight out of a Moomintroll book, in particular The Village Stores in "Comet In Moominland" springs readily to mind, basically a timber shed whose walls are crowded with many ticking and chiming clocks and twee to the power of 2...

chippyzip
Cafe Racer

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 14:29:59 »

Great read, and a good guide! - might have to tackle this pretty soon!

Graham

Piaggio X10 500cc executive
Expat47
Cafe Racer

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 14:57:27 »

Thanks but now I have to go translate all those tool names into American.  ::

--
C'you,
Don
Derek
Old Fart
Old Timer

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 03:19:07 »

Just rename them Trump, the biggest tool around

When I was a kid and wanted to be older, this $hit was not what I expected

FuocoRider.co.uk
Expat47
Cafe Racer

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 06:09:03 »

I'm going to respond just this once.

Over the decades I've noticed that when an American president was well liked by other countries it was a safe bet that his interests weren't totally focused on his people and responsibilities. Obama is a prime example - one of his last acts, which he tried to slip past notice, was to send $221,000,000 to the Palestinians when that same amount was/is needed to fix the fresh water system in Flint, Michigan.

So far President Trump as done EXACTLY what he said he was going to do if elected - that's a 1st in the political area of any country! You'll also want to take note that President Trump is an accomplished executive and is the head of the EXECUTIVE branch of our government which, also, may well be an historical precedent.

So, if President Trump isn't your cup of tea, or if you think he's too aggressive in wanting to defend America's borders that's just fine. In America, most of us still believe that a person has a right to his or her opinions. In fact, I served my country (and by extension through NATO) your country back in the 60's in part to guarantee that that belief and right would live on.

Now, I'm on this forum to talk about scooters and not politics so, this is the last time I'm going to respond to mindless drivel like this.

--
C'you,
Don
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Stunt Rider

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2017, 16:38:48 »

So far President Trump as done EXACTLY what he said he was going to do if elected -

I noticed that too, and, everyone else acting so surprised! But, he said he was going to do that... (?)

Sancho
Cafe Racer

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 03:52:21 »

Let us hope that his voters thought that he would act like most politicians and ignore his manifesto.

And of course overall Clinton got more votes than Trump.

What surprises many is that his ridiculous and/or dangerous policies are still considered reasonable by many others.

#Expat47, A strangely long post for someone who doesn't want to talk politics. Which country are you an expat in?

...does a DCT AT count?   NO! (admin)
Expat47
Cafe Racer

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2017, 06:01:09 »

Which country are you an expat in?

I live in Greece. I've been here since 1972. I met my wife (the local) while I was in the US Navy. We lived in the US for a few years then returned to Athens where I went to work for a series of credit unions that serviced the American military folks in the region.

--
C'you,
Don
Noggin the Nog
Cafe Racer

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2017, 09:09:56 »

So, based on the above, I called DT and he confirmed that the X10 does indeed hold a riduculously small amount of oil.

2013 Piaggio X10 350: 1999 Moto Guzzi California Special 1100: 2003 VW T4 custom dive bus known as "Turbo Turtle"
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Stunt Rider

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2017, 13:44:44 »

Engine oil you mean?

Noggin the Nog
Cafe Racer

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2017, 16:33:21 »

Engine oil you mean?

could've been hair oil, I suppose.

2013 Piaggio X10 350: 1999 Moto Guzzi California Special 1100: 2003 VW T4 custom dive bus known as "Turbo Turtle"
Expat47
Cafe Racer

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2017, 04:51:46 »

could've been hair oil, I suppose.

--
C'you,
Don
chippyzip
Cafe Racer

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2017, 17:46:31 »

According to the workshop manual, mine takes 1.7 litres of motor oil. I put in 1.2, but that hardly touched the bottom of the dipstick!

Graham 

Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Stunt Rider

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2017, 15:28:21 »

How much is it then?

As I said elsewhere, 500cc and 125/350 motors are completely different.

chippyzip
Cafe Racer

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2017, 23:19:33 »

I put in a total of 1.7 litres, and nothing spilt on the floor!!!

Graham 

Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Stunt Rider

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2017, 12:54:45 »

Ah so your instructions are accurate. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: