X9 Owners & Riders Club
December 09, 2021, 11:22:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Website Gallery Login Register Donate  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying used bike from Jersey C.I , NEED HELP WITH VAT AND CUSTUM  (Read 5243 times)
alexcheff
« on: September 26, 2016, 16:37:56 »

Hi all
I`m Buying used bike 680cc  from Jersey C.I , NEED HELP WITH VAT AND CUSTUM
Dose someone now how to avoid or lowered vat to pay when import bike from Jersey channel inland?
its 2012 bike done 3400miles , first owner bought at local Jersey shop new and then sold to person on Jersey inland who is selling now to me.

1Whats the way to avoid pay shipping/couier company ,
2How the drive legally back home
3whats the process  of re-registered in DVLA and get new number plate
4 Very important ? how to lower or avoid pay vat of 20%
thanks a lot Alex
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Stunt Rider

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 17:48:05 »

All the poop here:

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/overview

See section 3, Paying VAT and duty, about importing second-hand.

Think you might be screwed tho, one of the conditions for avoidung VAT is that the vehicle has done > 6,000 km, and 3,400 miles does not quite make it. Might be able to swing it tho on the basis of it being 2012. But will need to ask them.

Murphy's 4th law of motion states that any small object that is accidentally dropped will immediately hide itself under a larger object.
alexcheff
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 18:10:02 »

Yes , alredy read those info and called to HM Revenue and Custum
dont have to pay import , but still 20%vat
now trying find out how to lower vat
somewhere on forums found i can booked in my home town MOT by sassy number and if buy a day insurance can ride  back home from Portsmouth , not sure if its true? 
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Stunt Rider

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 18:42:53 »

Yes the first page says that, in effect, "can be prosecuted if you use your vehicle on a public road before you complete these steps, unless you’re driving it to a pre-booked MOT or vehicle approval test". Also you have to be insured so you can do that even, which may itself be a problem if it's not yet registered. But at the end of the day you still have to register it, and can't do that until you've followed all the steps including telling HMRC within 14 days etc. etc.

Page two:

"HMRC will tell you: if you have to pay VAT and duty; when your NOVA application is processed - you can’t register your vehicle with DVLA until it is"

Note you also need the original foreign registration certificate as proof of the manufacture date, the seller must provide this. If not it'll be on a 'Q' plate.

Murphy's 4th law of motion states that any small object that is accidentally dropped will immediately hide itself under a larger object.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: