X9 Owners & Riders Club
March 29, 2024, 05:24:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Website Gallery Login Register Donate  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: rear suspension no longer works  (Read 15046 times)
chippyzip
Cafe Racer

« on: May 24, 2017, 13:45:53 »

Hi,

Just noticed this morning that my suspention icon is going up and down on it's own, and I can no longer ajust the rear suspention using the up/down buttons near the front toolbox. I've checked the fuses, and they seem in order, but has anyone else had this problem, and are there things to check?

Graham   

Piaggio X10 500cc executive
chippyzip
Cafe Racer

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 16:05:28 »

mmmm, I've just noticed the "mode" switch isn't working either! I wonder if it could be because of the hot weather?? 

Graham

Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Stunt Rider

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 20:15:47 »

The electric rear suspension adjusters on the 500 ALWAYS go wrong, as far as I know. Was one reason why I opted for the 350 instead. (There are others.)

Hopefully the mode switch might just be a bad contact.

Murphy's 4th law of motion states that any small object that is accidentally dropped will immediately hide itself under a larger object.
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Stunt Rider

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 20:43:32 »

Eventually found the other topic about this: "Suspension Rant"

http://www.x9ownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=25647.0

Murphy's 4th law of motion states that any small object that is accidentally dropped will immediately hide itself under a larger object.
chippyzip
Cafe Racer

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 06:50:34 »

Yeah, I read about that, but the suspension was working normally in the past- it's strange that the "mode" switch went to, I'm wondering if the two are connected in some way. I've been thinking about trading the scoot in and getting a 650 burgman instead, but I saw one at the MCN show in Peterborough the other week, and for the cost of the thing, it certainly doesn't look as good as the X10, for instance the dash looks awful!

Graham

Mr.Chips
Administrator
Old Timer

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 09:03:06 »

New Honda Silverwings are still available and are, by and large, trouble-free.
I know they are not everyone's cup-of-tea but they are good all round.

Mike.
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU GT - HAL
When did you last read the Highway Code?
Now part of the NE England Chapter.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
Edmund Burke
Expat47
Cafe Racer

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 13:48:52 »

@Graham

Before I bought my X10 I was riding a SYM 250i and was ready to buy the new MaxiSYM 400 but it didn't have ABS at the time. The 1st year with the X10 was hell as the shocks were defective and the electronics kept leaving me on the side of the road inventing new words to fully express my ire.

By that time SYM had brought in the ABS models and the 600i. I had another look at them and was amazed at how smooth that 600cc engine ran! You might want to have a peek at them. 

--
C'you,
Don
chippyzip
Cafe Racer

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 15:43:27 »

fixed the "mode" switch, a liberal spraying of WD40 inside the switch.. Boy does these Italian scooters hate the rain! still no improvement of the rear suspension though, although looking around the scoot, i'm surprised by the amount of wiring exposed to the elements- major problem methinks!

graham

Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Stunt Rider

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 17:29:32 »

Main thing, get the fusebox underside covered in. And treatment with WD40/ACF50 also advisable. I agree I don't think the designers expected anyone would ride them in the rain!

Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Stunt Rider

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 17:33:54 »

Yeah, I read about that, but the suspension was working normally in the past-

So were my manually adjustable preload collars, until I thought I better check them at the last service, (have never needed to use other than minimum preload) blimey just managed to rescue them from being completely seized up. At only 1 year old.

Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Stunt Rider

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 17:35:18 »

Don't know if anyone has posted a fix for seized up 500 suspension . . .

chippyzip
Cafe Racer

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 14:40:56 »

Sorted!!

I must be some lucky bugger, as the generous application of WD40 the night before, on all things connected to the rear suspension, as somehow sorted it! I checked the fuses, cleaned the blades, sprayed WD40 as near as the shocks as possible, and made a mental note to myself to cover up that bloody gap underneath the fusebox- I mean what melon, decided that would be good enough when designing the X10?? sprayed the up/down switches, and gave it a run today, and somehow, that sorted it out!

graham 

Mr.Chips
Administrator
Old Timer

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2017, 18:05:18 »

Mike.
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU GT - HAL
When did you last read the Highway Code?
Now part of the NE England Chapter.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
Edmund Burke
Noggin the Nog
Cafe Racer

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2017, 09:15:40 »

I'd assumed the rear suspension on my 350 was basically fine, just a bit rusty & with seized collars. Well, it is only 3 years old. I bought replacements from that nice man on ebay who's selling off Fowlers excess stock & got around to replacing them a couple of weeks ago. I've waited 'til now just to be sure that I could tell the new ones were performing so much better as it may have just been a misleading perception. Nope, The ride is definitely much better. Doesn't say much for the longevity of the suspension though (on any model).

2013 Piaggio X10 350: 1999 Moto Guzzi California Special 1100: 2003 VW T4 custom dive bus known as "Turbo Turtle"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: