X9 Owners & Riders Club
March 28, 2024, 08:19:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Website Gallery Login Register Donate  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Suspension Rant  (Read 18664 times)
Martin H
ex Lazy Swimmer
Cafe Racer

LSX10

« on: June 07, 2016, 16:12:52 »

I hope someone here can advise.

My suspension failed, it would not adjust so they replaced it, then it failed again, so they replaced it.  It has now failed again and Piaggio are saying to my dealership that they have only ever sold one of the suspension units for the X10 and it must be me going over speed bumps or poor roads!

I'm gobsmacked.

Perhaps the real reason is the mechanic did not fit it correctly on the first and second replacement?  Hard to say as he no longer works there.

I have now done 20k on a 14 plate.

Has anyone here had problems with there suspension?  I need ammunition.
polecat
Cafe Racer

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 18:40:26 »

martin do you mean the shockers or the swing arm contraption when i bought my x7 250 it was pretty rough so i stripped it right down and replaced all of the bearings in the swing arm and plastic seals and fitted grease nipples so i could grease without stripping all down every time going for it's 3rd mot on saturday on the same bearings etc.
the shockers that are fitted are after market ones from a well known tunning scooter shop malossi and are very expensive not fitted by me i/m sure dave the piaggio guru will be along shortly to tell you what's what about your x10
polecat

scooter piaggio x7 125cc 2008
bedlington northumberland
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Stunt Rider

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 19:59:54 »

I'm guessing it's the 500 with the electric suspension adjuster up/down buttons? (edit) which have stopped working?

Murphy's 4th law of motion states that any small object that is accidentally dropped will immediately hide itself under a larger object.
Dave Milnes
Administrator
Old Timer

Fylde Coast

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 20:14:10 »

Are you saying it mechanically failed, or electrically simply no longer adjusts?
If mechanical then does it drop down as if failing to support the bike or seize so there is no movement at all or work normally but no longer adjust the ride height on the buttons?
If one of the two first options then it is a mechanical problem and could be down to poor fitting or a factory misalignment. If the last option and being Italian I would tend to suspect either poor wiring or connectors, possibly corrosion of fuse or relays or a failed control box.
What did they replace previously exactly, a mechanical or electrical component?
Basically if it is only the electrical adjustment, then it's not such a big deal as once you have it set, why change it, you don't with old fashioned shocker pre-load? Maybe if you are constantly playing with it just because you can, you are exposing a flaw that no one else has come across because they leave it alone.
Piaggio are well known to repair or replace once or twice under warranty without a problem but start to get a bit iffy on subsequent claims for the same thing even if it is reasonably common, but especially if it's just one particular bike and owner.

2004 X9 500 Evo in YELLOW - 2016 Maxsym 600i Sport
Anderton 2004, Pen-y-cae 2005, Matlock 2006, Hay on Wye 2007, Minehead 2008, St Florence 2010, Newent 2011, North Kyme 2012, Betsw-y-coed 2013, Hardraw 2014, Parkend 2015, Whitby 2016, Mundesley 2017, Derby 2018, Telford 2019, Loch Doon 2020, Cumbria 2021.
frankiej1949
Cafe Racer

Manchester

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 09:13:33 »

The electric adjuster on my 500 failed in less than 16 months, after waiting 2/3 months for a replacement which did not appear.  I ended up selling the scooter to a chap local to the dealership in Huddersfield who agreed they would repair the suspension for him once the part arrived from Italy. Best thing I did, selling the X10 and buying a 650 Burgman!

Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive in Pearl Racing White on a 14 plate
Piaggio X10 500 Executive in Bianco Perla on a 13 plate
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Stunt Rider

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 12:23:21 »

The 125 / 350 doesn't have this feature, and in hindsight I'm grateful! Like Dave says have never yet needed to alter mine from softest even with luggage & camping gear on, in fact I am reminded I need to keep them oiled and turn the collars occasionally to make sure they are still movable.

Murphy's 4th law of motion states that any small object that is accidentally dropped will immediately hide itself under a larger object.
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Stunt Rider

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 16:37:34 »

Well no sooner threatened than done ~ actually to be honest I'm not sure when was the last time I turned the collars (only ever needed min. preload) or actually if I ever have ~ blimey they were stiff!  Bike is only just 1 year old and they're trying to seize up already.

Note this is the 125 / 350 set-up, twin shocks with 5-way adjusting collars operated by 'C' spanner in toolkit.

I had to soak them repeatedly with WD40, and my oiling can, before the collars would begin to want to move. Important! You have to keep a very firm squeeze on the 'C' spanner to hold it onto the collar with one hand (whilst pulling with the other), because if it slips off it rounds off the castellation so that's bu99ered. Fortunately the 'C' spanner seems to be tougher metal.

Having got it from pos 1 up to pos 2, it didn't want to do much more until I turned it back and forth from 1 to 2 2 or 3 times to loosen it up more, then I could repeat the process for each of pos 3, 4, and 5.

Once up to 5, the area normally hidden beneath the collar at min. preload (pos 1) is fully revealed, so I could put on generous smearings of grease.

The righthand collar is a total s0d because the silencer and parking brake cable are in the way, precisely where you want to get a decent angle on it for the best leverage. Instead I had to pull the 'C' spanner inward toward the rear tyre. Anyway job accomplished at last and desperately needed doing. You have been warned!

Martin H
ex Lazy Swimmer
Cafe Racer

LSX10

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 16:51:33 »

Yes, its the 500 and the buttons no longer adjust the suspension.  The indicator on the dash is just constantly going up and down and the shocker makes an audible squeak when I go over any bumpy surface.
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Stunt Rider

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2016, 18:24:09 »

How old's the bike?

Mine's not a 500 so can't offer the support you asked for I'm afraid.

frankiej1949
Cafe Racer

Manchester

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2016, 11:39:42 »

Hi Martin
Is it still under warrantee? If not an expensive job. Problem is the X100 500's will not be scrapped yet so it will require new parts. I had the 350 and wish I had kept it as it was far less trouble than the 500, hindsight is a wonderful thing. An option maybe trying to find a suitable manually adjustable shock there seems to be a number available for various bikes, maybe one can be grafted on.

Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive in Pearl Racing White on a 14 plate
Piaggio X10 500 Executive in Bianco Perla on a 13 plate
Dave Milnes
Administrator
Old Timer

Fylde Coast

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2016, 14:23:04 »

The actual shocker unit is fairly simple and a failed adjuster shouldn't be anything to worry about unless it has developed a hydraulic leak. The shocker is connected via a pipe to a cylinder which is either an electrically operated pump or piston which pumps oil into the shocker to extend it. Whether this simply pushes out the inner damping tube or whether it moves the spring seat I can't tell from the pictures in the manual. I can't see how it can move the spring seat and considering it works via a bell crank, a small movement makes a much bigger difference on the connectors to the transmission casing.
You could replace the unit with a fixed length one and go back to manual adjustments and pull the fuse for the electrics in some way and it's easy to measure the eye to eye length when the RH rear side plastics are removed and a simple job to swap it.
In the manual it severely warns against disconnecting the pipe between them so if when you had it changed last time they did just that, it may explain why it has failed again.

Anderton 2004, Pen-y-cae 2005, Matlock 2006, Hay on Wye 2007, Minehead 2008, St Florence 2010, Newent 2011, North Kyme 2012, Betsw-y-coed 2013, Hardraw 2014, Parkend 2015, Whitby 2016, Mundesley 2017, Derby 2018, Telford 2019, Loch Doon 2020, Cumbria 2021.
Martin H
ex Lazy Swimmer
Cafe Racer

LSX10

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2016, 22:43:17 »

Well the dealership I bought the bike from were no help, said Piaggio had rejected the claim as I have had it repaired once and replaced once, but a warranty is a warranty, so I took it to another Piaggio dealership and surprise surprise they have no problem getting the work done.  Took the bike in today and pick it up next Saturday, although it will actually be ready on Wednesday.

Bought a new Honda NC750 last week and they said dealers love warranty work, especially big jobs.  My original dealership lost their previous brand franchise and my gut feeling is they won't be doing Piaggios for much longer.
Dave Milnes
Administrator
Old Timer

Fylde Coast

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2016, 08:22:37 »

I thought I had made a connection on the 'other' forum. That's four who have NC's on here now although the rest only have earlier NC700s. Good luck with the sale of the X10, now it's all fettled at a competent dealers it should be a good bike for someone.

Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Stunt Rider

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2016, 17:50:43 »

Just found this:

Had numerous problems with the electrics on my 350 fortunately whilst under warranty. Not as bad on the 500 but the ECU packed in on the rear suspension within 12 months. Did have problems with it cutting out but eventually restarted, unfortunately the problem cleared before i could get it into the dealer. However next time it went in there was nothing showing on the diagnostics. Loving the last 5 months with my Burgman, no such problems.

Expat47
Cafe Racer

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2016, 05:05:03 »

Yes, its the 500 and the buttons no longer adjust the suspension.  The indicator on the dash is just constantly going up and down and the shocker makes an audible squeak when I go over any bumpy surface.

I had that shock squeak on my 350 from day 1 until they replaced the shocks. Every time I went over a speed bump or hit a rough spot in the road.

--
C'you,
Don
chippyzip
Cafe Racer

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2017, 06:48:51 »

What was the outcome, co's mine has started doing exactly the same, after 3 years....

Graham

Piaggio X10 500cc executive
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: