X9 Owners & Riders Club
May 22, 2022, 20:15:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Website Gallery Login Register Donate  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: X8 125 Bottom Ache Electrics  (Read 9531 times)
chrisx8125
« on: May 18, 2016, 18:07:53 »

The Mrs came home the other night on her X8 (my ex X8) with a Chinese in the trunk, she managed to spill Vegetarian Curry all over the inside of the rear part of the trunk.
After cleaning it all out the next day she tried to start it and it wouldnt start.
She managed to take the battery out while i was at work and by the afternoon she called me to say that it was ok and had started.
The next day i got another phone call telling me that it was dead again.
When i got home i took the battery out and charged it and noticed that it was all good, stuck it back in and .............. nowt, not a sausage.
Heres what i have noticed.
The front lights work.
The trunk light works.
The 2 lock release modules work.
The horn works.
The rear lights dont work.
The indicators, both front and back, dont work.
The Brake lights dont work.
I've stripped it down and checked all the obvious wiring and stuff but cant find anything out of place.
I thought it may be the brake light swithches but why would they both be gone.
I pondered wether the indicator switch had gone and may be on the same circuit as the brake switches and for some reason the rear lights.
Lately ive pondered wether its the starter relay.

Guys any ideas im baffed here ....... and a stingy beehotch who doesnt want to shell out for an auto electrician or parts i dont need 

Thanks for reading.
Dave Milnes
Administrator
Old Timer

Fylde Coast

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 18:27:34 »

At a guess I'd say the non starting issue is down to the non operational brake lights. There is obviously an intermittent power feed somewhere that feeds one or more fuses when the ignition is on. If she's been chucking buckets of water around inside the trunk it could have soaked a relay or fusebox. There is a possibility that given sunny weather, left to stand could dry it out and the problem go away.

2004 X9 500 Evo in YELLOW - 2016 Maxsym 600i Sport
Anderton 2004, Pen-y-cae 2005, Matlock 2006, Hay on Wye 2007, Minehead 2008, St Florence 2010, Newent 2011, North Kyme 2012, Betsw-y-coed 2013, Hardraw 2014, Parkend 2015, Whitby 2016, Mundesley 2017, Derby 2018, Telford 2019, Loch Doon 2020, Cumbria 2021.
Trickygee
Cafe Racer

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 07:03:14 »

deffo sounds like water has got into something does it have the cover for the battery under the seat fitted? As fuses are a bit exposed there I'd try getting a can of contact spray from toolstation http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Automotive/d60/Lubricants+%26+Sprays/sd2795/Contact+Spray/p81507
It's only £2.50 better still spend a tenner on some spray grease and penetrating oil etc as you wil want this stuff if your gonna play around with the x8 and they will deliver for free next day.
Disconnect the battery pull the fuses one by one give the fuses and slots a good spray to start with then remove the centre bit of the back light by undoing the screws on the inside of the boot (trunk) there you will find a white connector same again pull apart give it a good shot of spray check for any greeny sort of corrosion on the contacts wherever you've opened up anything a little bit of sandpaper will clean it up nicely then spray it
Have a look at this PDF from page 43 onwards http://jeanluc.rigal.free.fr/files/Piaggio-X8-400cc-Workshop-Manual.pdf although for a 400 the wiring is pretty much the same for what your up against let us know how you get on👍
PS add one of these in to the £10 spend might be the best £1.70 you've ever spent 😉http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p78616?searchstr=12v%20tester

MP3 300ie LT
Xevo 125
X9 Evo 125
Runner Sp 125
chrisx8125
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 14:24:32 »

Cheers guys, she didn't go crazy cleaning it out, I think she used those wet wipe things tbh. I stripped the bike down and checked all the lights and stuff. The fuses were all good and the battery cover was on and is elevated from the storage compartment. I think I'll buy a starter relay. And take it from there if that doesn't work. Thanks chaps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: