X9 Owners & Riders Club
April 19, 2024, 04:02:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Website Gallery Login Register Donate  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: X10 350 moisture in the headlight.  (Read 8626 times)
APH1967

« on: November 29, 2015, 13:35:44 »

My commute involves a fair amount of main beam use at night. Unfortunately I now have moisture in the centre section and this diffuses the light so much as to make main beam useless. I understand this has been a fairly common issue for those that use main beam frequently.
1. Is there a simple fix ?
2. Buying a new light at £268 I can't imagine is a long term fix ?
3. Has anyone fitted additional lights to supplement dipped beam ?
Look forward to hearing some feedback as always.
Regards.

Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Stunt Rider

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 17:15:35 »

When this has come up on here before answer seems to have been "take it back to dealer get it replaced under warranty", tho that supposes warranty hasn't expired. (?) Don't think I've seen suggestions about how to actually fix it. I would imagine leaving the high beam on would dry it out but can't really do that on the road can you? 

My new X10 doesn't do it (yet!) altho the blue one did. Can't remember tho how much it affected the high beam.

I presume you mean additional lights to help the high beam ~ firstly do the headlight switch mod which leaves the dipped beams on when switched to high beam, then what I did in addition was get a Philips X-treme H1 for the high beam lamp, is almost like doubling the light output, flippin' stonking good lights now, couple of months ago I did a 180 miles trip home at night all on country roads, lit 'em up like a bluddy searchlight. 

« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 17:26:22 by Mike H » Logged

Murphy's 4th law of motion states that any small object that is accidentally dropped will immediately hide itself under a larger object.
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Stunt Rider

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 17:24:34 »

PS: I suppose you could try taking the unit out, bulbs out then blow it through with warm air to dry it out, but I have not actually tried that. Hair drier maybe but not a paint stripper type hot air gun! If 'lens' perspex gets too hot it will go white and opaque then it's screwed.

NB: somebody I know had his do that altho completely different bike, he left a bike cover over the front of it while he started it up and idled it for a while, can't remember why but anyway cos the cover was still over the headlights and the headlights were on (always on if engine running, no light switch) the headlight lenses part melted and developed white patches! A bit like cataracts! 

Murphy's 4th law of motion states that any small object that is accidentally dropped will immediately hide itself under a larger object.
spannerman
Stunt Rider

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 18:34:03 »

Silica Gel could work.

Dave Weller, Chatham VespaGTS250, Royal Enfield 350 HNTR. NC750X
Meldrew
Cafe Racer

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 21:57:27 »

I had this problem with one of the headlights on my 650 Burgman a few years ago when I was over in Northern Ireland and it rained constantly for two days solid.

One headlamp was opaque from moisture droplets, it soon cleared after the bulb warmed the inside of the glass up, then reappeared when the lights were off and everything cooled down again. At first I thought it would remedy itself within a few days but it didn't, then I thought about removing the bulb, blowing warm air in there, placing a silica gel packet inside the reflector to absorb moisture etc. In the end I didn't do anything and it gradually cleared up and then disappeared over the summer months.

Black 2010 Honda FJS 600 Silver Wing
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Stunt Rider

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 22:33:49 »

The trouble is they are not hermetically sealed, so if the air has high humidity... (?)

APH1967

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 23:07:59 »

I have a few days off soon so will get the unit out and see what I can do. 
Thanks for the replies.
😆
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Stunt Rider

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 16:49:12 »

Do you know how to take it out? It is a bit of a faff.

APH1967

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 21:39:46 »

It seems that all of the troublesome headlights have damage just above the central eye allowing moisture in. I acquired a brand new unit which has exactly the same fault as mine. Used some silicone sealant whilst fitting new horn. Hopefully problem solved.
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Stunt Rider

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2016, 23:51:20 »

Any chance of a picture?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: