X9 Owners & Riders Club
March 29, 2024, 10:36:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Website Gallery Login Register Donate  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Laboured start, EM light after a few mins  (Read 16598 times)
newboy

« on: August 28, 2015, 17:03:29 »

Hi all

Last few weeks my Xevo has struggled on it's first start. I have to keep hold of the start
button for at least 4/5secs, and after that it's alright and fires up straight away.
It now brings up the engine management light after a couple of minutes riding.

Has anyone else had this problem or maybe just know that it's a certain part I can simply replace?

"More importantly"...If say it is just a starting component, would I still be alright to ride with the EM light on, considering it's not an engine running problem?

Starter motor or pinion would be my "un" educated guess!

New irridium spark plug fitted also.

Thanks for reading
Piaggio Xevo 125 UK2010 model

Regards
Paul

Piaggio Xevo 125 (2010)
Dave Milnes
Administrator
Old Timer

Fylde Coast

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 17:18:01 »

The Xevo is fuel injected so the EM light is monitoring the sensors that the ECU needs to fire and control the engine.

I have no knowledge of the later FI 125's but if it was a 500 the cause of a lit ECU lamp is either the TDC sensor, coolant temp sensor, TPS sensor or air intake temp/pressure sensor but on a fully closed loop FI system it could also be the lambda O2 sensor on the exhaust.
TDC sensors tend to work 100% or die totally so probably not that, temp sensors shouldn't affect engine starting but could cause later lighting of the lamp as the engine warms.
The lambda sensor shouldn't affect starting but will light the lamp afterwards. TPS and air sensors would affect starting and light the lamp. Does opening the throttle at all while cranking fire it up any quicker?
A final reason for the EM lamp to come on is a failure of the voltage reg causing the battery system voltage to rise over the maximum 14.6V but this shouldn't affect starting.

The quickest and most accurate way of finding out the problem is to use a diagnostic tester to see what error codes the ECU has stored. A dealer is needed for this but all but the TPS sensor are easy DIY replacements so not necessarily needing the dealer to do the repair.

Finally one further issue with dud fuel pumps has been reported of late but IIRC it was 250cc not 125 models, but if the same pump is used this could be a vague possibility as low fuel pressure could light the EM lamp if it is monitored. I'm not sure if it is or not.

2004 X9 500 Evo in YELLOW - 2016 Maxsym 600i Sport
Anderton 2004, Pen-y-cae 2005, Matlock 2006, Hay on Wye 2007, Minehead 2008, St Florence 2010, Newent 2011, North Kyme 2012, Betsw-y-coed 2013, Hardraw 2014, Parkend 2015, Whitby 2016, Mundesley 2017, Derby 2018, Telford 2019, Loch Doon 2020, Cumbria 2021.
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Stunt Rider

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 19:32:55 »

Unwillingness to start up may be caused by low fuel pressure. First thing I thought of reading this was injector problem.

Murphy's 4th law of motion states that any small object that is accidentally dropped will immediately hide itself under a larger object.
newboy

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 19:37:49 »

Thanks Dave

Yes I used to open up the throttle fully a few times and leave it full open when starting to get it to fire up.
Funnily enough it started ok now!

Checked the charging system, which I've recently had a new battery, regulator and stator fitted 3 months ago.

At rest = 12.9v
Idle = (Crept up to 14.4v whilst idling.)
6000rpm = 14.32v ? (going backwards!)

Took the transmition cover off and all loooks well. Plus fiddled with the pinion which springs back after extending it out.
Not sure if it still does that when the cover is back on and seated in it's bearing!
EM light still comes on, but the engine sounded good when I took it around the block!

As you say Dave, best to take it to someone with a diagnostic tester and see what it reports.

Do you think It would be ok to ride it to the garage (approx 8 miles) Dave?

Note!...Must remember to apply loctite to the clutch nut again, as I had it off undoing the cover.

Thanks for reading
Piaggio Xevo 125 UK2010 model

Regards
Paul

Piaggio Xevo 125 (2010)
newboy

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 19:40:45 »

Unwillingness to start up may be caused by low fuel pressure. First thing I thought of reading this was injector problem.

Thanks Mike

Is that a big costly jobby?

Regards
Paul

Regards
Paul

Piaggio Xevo 125 (2010)
newboy

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 14:02:08 »

Just wondering if these values could be the cause, as I thought more revs equaled more volts?

At rest on bike = 12.43v (Happy)
Started not too bad. 2 secs labour
Idling = 14.42v (Quite a big jump, or normal?)

3000RPM = 14.39v
6000RPM = 14.43v (voltage decreasing with revs!!!)

Had a supposedly brand new stator and regulator fitted 3 months back, the guy said the voltages weren't great when I picked it up, but couldn't be sure till a new battery was installed.
Bought new battery, but after 11 days the bike wouldn't start as the system wasn't putting enough back into the battery.
Guy changed the new stator, as he said it was a bad one, and the bike has run ok up till the sluggish starts.

Could these values be the culprit?
Valve clearance was mentioned as due the MOT before last. Maybe this is the problem.

Regards
Paul
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 15:43:31 by newboy » Logged

Regards
Paul

Piaggio Xevo 125 (2010)
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Stunt Rider

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 17:15:15 »

Umm, 14.43 is not less than 14.39?

I think this is barking up the wrong tree battery and charging is not the problem. Around 14V charging is good and healthy.

Murphy's 4th law of motion states that any small object that is accidentally dropped will immediately hide itself under a larger object.
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Stunt Rider

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 17:21:42 »

Have just seen this:

"New irridium spark plug fitted also."

Try a 'normal' spark plug instead? Not sure about these fancy plugs or in what circumstances they're really needed. (?)

Only say this cos spark plug was another thing that occurred to me.

newboy

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 18:03:04 »

Umm, 14.43 is not less than 14.39?

I think this is barking up the wrong tree battery and charging is not the problem. Around 14V charging is good and healthy.

Oops!...Meant to put that next to the 3000RPM

Regards
Paul

Piaggio Xevo 125 (2010)
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Stunt Rider

Ural cT sidecar outfit

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 11:47:34 »

Even so difference is negligible, and would not be unusual.

Still say nothing appears to be wrong with charging system going by that. Bad running problem must be due to something else. Get rid of the iridium plug for a start.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: