X9 Owners & Riders Club
October 20, 2018, 07:04:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The DONATE button below isn't working since the server move. To donate towards hosting costs please use the one on the web pages.

Home   Help Website Gallery Login Register Donate  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New X10  (Read 10789 times)
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Cafe Racer

X10 350ie Executive & Ural cT

« on: June 05, 2015, 18:14:37 »

Received a phone call this morning that the new X10 is ready to be collected!

Only one small bijou problem-ette, I'm not insured until the 11th...

BUT it does take some pressure off of mending other bikes.

Don't want to spend the Summer mending, want to be riding!!

Murphy's 4th law of motion states that any small object that is accidentally dropped will immediately hide itself under a larger object.
Martin H
ex Lazy Swimmer
Provisional

LSX10

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 21:38:48 »

New shiny bike mmmmmm
Dave Milnes
Administrator
Stunt Rider

Fylde Coast

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 09:28:32 »

Pick up the phone and change the insurance start. You should be able to change it to any time you like. I wouldn't leave the X10 at the dealers for too long as he might sell it to a chap called ScooterDude who is apparently looking for one.

'04 X9 500 Evo in YELLOW - LED's, K&N, twin lights, bleepers...
'68 NSS300 Forza in Crescent Blue
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Cafe Racer

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 19:58:45 »

I'm tied up next couple of days so really too much aggro just for 2 days

Murphy's 4th law of motion states that any small object that is accidentally dropped will immediately hide itself under a larger object.
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Cafe Racer

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 08:53:14 »

Pick up the phone and change the insurance start. You should be able to change it to any time you like.

Eau contraire...

"Ah, one of the things we can't change is the start and end dates"

Didn't want to go out today anyway 

ScootDude
CBT

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 20:46:20 »

Someone mention my name?

Dealer rang, and told me they have one ready for immediate delivery if I was ready to buy now...  

Best regards,
ScootDude.
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Cafe Racer

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 08:21:32 »

Excellent. 

Actually I did go yesterday, just to drool over look at it. And finalise the paperwork.

Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Cafe Racer

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 19:52:50 »

OK well can do all my drooling at home now.

Past experience has taught me to take PDI's with a pinch of salt. So as soon as I got it home did some basic maintenance checks / adjustments:

Tyres: both > 40 psi!!

Transmission oil: OK is somewhat over-full.

Engine oil: halfway between max. and min. Needed nearly 100cc to top-up.

Coolant: well off the bottom of min.! Needed maybe 200cc(?) of distilled water (all i'd got) to bring it up to what handbook says it should be.

All else appears OK so far.

Now got a busy weekend ahead doing all the mods .. 

Dave Milnes
Administrator
Stunt Rider

Fylde Coast

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 19:56:15 »

Dealers and PDI eh! 
No wonder Piaggio have a poor reputation. It's not the products but the dealers that sell them and prepare them badly that harm the reputation.

Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Cafe Racer

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 14:17:46 »

Probably just make sure there's actual fluids and stuff present. (?)

Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Cafe Racer

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2015, 14:37:31 »

I can confirm the latest owner's handbook is up to date and correct re the headlight bulbs.

The dip bulbs are H 8  35W (as photo) NOT H7 55W!

So if like me you previously bought H7 as spares you've wasted your money!

On the plus side, the H 8's are relatively easy to remove and install (I've tried) as they have a socket base so are just twist and pull out, insert and twist to put in.

The (single) main beam bulb is indeed an H1, I wanted to exchange it for a Philips X-treme ... which was a total complete barsteward job ... got it out OK, BUT the retaining wire spring clip then comes away free.

Trying to put the Philips in, I can't get the bottom end of the clip back into its slot. Also I'm holding a small mirror to see into the back of the bulb holder, so then of course the bulb dropped out and lost itself in the lamp housing!

So had to take the whole headlight unit out to find it and get it out! But at least it's much much easier to put the bulb in while light unit is face down on the floor.

Also the loom female blade connector for the H1 was very loose, had to squeeze it with pliers until it had a more sensible grip.

Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Cafe Racer

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2015, 17:40:39 »

This past weekend's 'To Do' list, in no particular order ~

1. Fit Datatool alarm. Requires RHS rear half fairing off.

2. Do the headlight modification (keeps dip lights on with high beam). (Barsteward job #2, there's one tiny screw still holding the h/bar switch housing together after the two main screws are removed, but brake lever mount won't allow a screwdriver to get at it! Had to take half the h/bar apart!

3. Replace main beam bulb (H1) with Philips X-tremeVision. (Barsteward job #1 see my previous post above!)

4. Check/adjust all headlight beams heights. (NB: needs both screen and instrument panel cover off to get access to main beam adjuster screw.)

5. Block hole under fusebox.

6. Ditto blank off number plate lamp against spray.

7. Secure bottom edge of number plate (needed 2 extra screws). As per the previous blue X10, only 2 screws were fitted for the top edge, BUT vibration at idle causes the bottom edge of number plate to rattle against the mounting plate beneath, and as a result blue's number plate had cracks in it!

8. Fit rear carrier with base for Givi topbox.

9. Connect up the ancillary extra rear red LED DRL / brake flasher tail light. (This is mounted under rear end of carrier.) Requires LHS rear half fairing off.

10. While doing 1 & 9 above, since various trim and body panels are off grease/WD40 all the spring clips.

11. Replace the black plastic bar ends with the chrome bar end weights and stainless steel screws.

12. Add extra locking nut to end of mainstand pivot bolt.

Martin H
ex Lazy Swimmer
Provisional

LSX10

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2015, 22:18:16 »

You have way to much free time.......
spannerman
Full Cat A

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2015, 12:42:18 »

After doing all those worthwhile jobs, sell it to me.

Dave Weller, Chatham
FJS600 Silverwing 2010.
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Cafe Racer

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2015, 14:40:06 »

Item 10 on the To-Do list, done today ~ Brembo grease on all the brake caliper pistons. (Plus copper slip on various threads etc.)

While I was at it have a go at undoing the wheel spindle nuts for when I will need to do it in ernest, God almighty the front was so tight the spindle was turning around in the (factory tightened!) fork clamps. Was using one of those metre long extendable socket wrenches for car wheel nuts; to stop spindle turning Allen key (10mm) in the other end with a steel tube over it and braced against the ground, with me holding it all down with one foot on the wheel rim. The rear one wasn't so recalcitrant fortunately, the parking brake could hold the wheel still.

Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Cafe Racer

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2016, 11:45:48 »

Before I forget again, item 11 ~ inspired by "Suspension Rant" topic (see also) ...

For the 125 / 250 versions (non-electric rear suspension, these are 5-way adjuster collar rear shox) ...

Soon as poss wind up to max preload and liberally grease under where the collars normally sit at min preload, also oil around the top of collar / base of spring with an oiling can. Else collars will seize up!

PS: when turning hold 'C' spanner tightly onto collar to stop it slipping off.

Dave Milnes
Administrator
Stunt Rider

Fylde Coast

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2016, 12:11:34 »

Are you going to ride it any time soon?

Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Cafe Racer

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2016, 14:46:25 »

Wot yer torking about rode only this Tuesday just gone. And before that came back from a quickie 5-days tour into Herefordshire and Wales on it.  ::

roadster
Provisional

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2016, 07:54:58 »

Just to give you one other thing to think about now that your going to have slack in your maintenance schedule!
Check lubricate and adjust ( usually slacken ) the steering head bearings.
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Cafe Racer

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2017, 14:29:36 »

Looking at this again I am reminded of something. The Datatool failed about 6 months later. That made it just 3 years old, or so - it came from the 2012 blue X10 I had previously.

The Datatool has an internal rechargable 9V battery, PP3 size, or according to one source, and this had packed up albeit in just 3 years. Common problem with Datatools. EVERYTHING it does is run off the internal battery, only exception being flashing the indicators, where the current is directly from the bike's battery.

First clue was randomly going off, immediately followed by won't respond to keyfob remote more than 2 or 3 button presses. Leave it a few minutes, then you can do another couple of button presses, but that's all. When finally I was able to put it in shutdown mode, left it like that until I could sort something out.

I deemed it scrap, took it off and replaced it with a NCS (Nick Cook Security) Compact. See on eBay, also his own web site. Around £18 (at time of writing. Formerly known as 'Cyclone', but he had to stop using that name cos of copyright[!]). Also has radio remote keyfobs, shock sensing with 5 levels of sensitivity, hot wire detect etc. The immobiliser part I didn't need but I modified the hot wire sense wire (ignition circuit) into two wires separated by diodes, the other 'input' going to the underseat compartment lamp, i.e. seat open detect.

Datatools you can't just buy and fit yourself, have to pay hundreds for it to be fitted by an approved dealer. (!)

I wouldn't be surprised that's how most of the broken plastic tabs happened on blue's body panels. 

chippyzip
Provisional

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2017, 16:03:08 »

This past weekend's 'To Do' list, in no particular order ~

2. Do the headlight modification (keeps dip lights on with high beam). (Barsteward job #2, there's one tiny screw still holding the h/bar switch housing together after the two main screws are removed, but brake lever mount won't allow a screwdriver to get at it! Had to take half the h/bar apart!

3. Replace main beam bulb (H1) with Philips X-tremeVision. (Barsteward job #1 see my previous post above!)

4. Check/adjust all headlight beams heights. (NB: needs both screen and instrument panel cover off to get access to main beam adjuster screw.)

5. Block hole under fusebox.

6. Ditto blank off number plate lamp against spray.

7. Secure bottom edge of number plate (needed 2 extra screws). As per the previous blue X10, only 2 screws were fitted for the top edge, BUT vibration at idle causes the bottom edge of number plate to rattle against the mounting plate beneath, and as a result blue's number plate had cracks in it!

8. Fit rear carrier with base for Givi topbox.

9. Connect up the ancillary extra rear red LED DRL / brake flasher tail light. (This is mounted under rear end of carrier.) Requires LHS rear half fairing off.

10. While doing 1 & 9 above, since various trim and body panels are off grease/WD40 all the spring clips.

11. Replace the black plastic bar ends with the chrome bar end weights and stainless steel screws.

12. Add extra locking nut to end of mainstand pivot bolt.

I need to do a few of those mine's only three years old, done 5,400 miles, and it's bout time I got on the thing and really gave it a good run, only I've got two tyres to replace, and maybe a service, or is it still early to do one? I've got the gear, just waiting for some decent weather to get a start on it!

Graham

Piaggio X10 500cc executive
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Cafe Racer

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2017, 23:03:16 »

I know what you mean! Getting cabin fever, me.

ChloesDad
CBT

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2017, 17:43:10 »

Thanks to this thread, I just bought an NCS V2. I looked at it a while ago, but never pulled the trigger.

Gav
Provisional

Dovercourt Essex

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2017, 16:51:05 »

OK well can do all my drooling at home now.

Looking very sleek and droolable, nice one.

Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Cafe Racer

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2017, 23:53:00 »

Thanks to this thread, I just bought an NCS V2. I looked at it a while ago, but never pulled the trigger.

Unfortunately X10 is not unique in needing improving/fixing what the factory/designer did, as soon as you get it home.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: