X9 Owners & Riders Club
April 22, 2018, 08:28:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NOW BOOKING for 2018 Annual Bash at Holiday Inn Express, Wheelwright Way, Pride Park, Derby for May 18-20th TEL: 0871 902 1607
The DONATE button below isn't working since the server move. To donate use the one on the web pages. Thanks.

Home   Help Website Gallery Login Register Donate  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: X10 Light Mod (Hi and Low beam together)  (Read 11933 times)
dado099
CBT

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2015, 12:48:49 »

Hi Sekem,
If you connect GR and BR the result is to blow up a fuse 
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Cafe Racer

X10 350ie Executive & Ural cT

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2015, 14:36:24 »

Yes because is not rated for the total current for 3 lamps. And increasing the rating to make it so is not a good idea as fuses are generally employed to protect wiring.

Murphy's 4th law of motion states that any small object that is accidentally dropped will immediately hide itself under a larger object.
Sekem
CBT

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2015, 19:35:38 »

Hello Mike

the thickness is a very strong argument!

Best wishes from Lake Constance

Jürgen
jk@sekem.de

8/10 - 8/13 Hexagon 125 EX
8/13 - 4/15 X8 400
since 5/15 X10 350 and finally happy again!
German Workshopmanuals: http://www.piaggio-x8-forum.de/forum/showthread.php?tid=3376
mikeX10
CBT

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2015, 19:35:26 »

Sorted mine yesterday. Straightforward job & now great lights.
Thanks Dado for the tip.
Mike
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Cafe Racer

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2015, 01:08:01 »

Did I mention a few weeks ago I did a 150 odd miles trip home starting just before dusk and going on into nighttime all on country roads, I had changed the main beam H1 for a Philips X-treme, all in all the lighting was bluddy excellent all the way. 

Murphy's 4th law of motion states that any small object that is accidentally dropped will immediately hide itself under a larger object.
jwoolf
CBT

« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2015, 18:11:05 »

Many thanks for the tip Dado  

It was just like you said, fiddly but straight forward. The hardest part for me was finding a screwdriver small enough to reach the small "3rd" screw holding the switch block together, I ended up using a jewellers screwdriver!

I took a before photo, but forgot to do an after  
Hopefully it will give some insight though...

Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Cafe Racer

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2015, 21:53:19 »

The 3rd small screw is a barsteward. Did I mention I had to take the handlebar top cover off to get at and loosen the left brake lever clamp... (?)

chippyzip
Provisional

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2017, 09:43:57 »

Hi all,
If it can be useful to someone, I also made light modification for x10 (I have no schematic).

First remove three screews from below left switch block (2 large and 1 small),
then remove other 3 screws fixing the two switches inside and free them.
Now you have access to the contacts (you need a soldering tool).
Apply modifications as per schematic below:

http://digilander.libero.it/gsottile/light_mod.jpg

Reassemble in reverse order the switch block.

Now when you switch to Hi beam also Low beam remains lit, giving a very bright solid beam.
I love this mod.
If you need explanations please ask.

Happy riding ! 

Dado

Buggered at the start! I found and removed the large screws, but where on earth is the small screw! is it behind the brake lever perhaps?

Graham

Piaggio X10 500cc executive
Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Cafe Racer

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2017, 11:59:16 »

Yes it's a sod. I had to loosen the brake lever & master cylinder so I could rotate it to get access. Think that also meant taking off the upper half of the plastic handlebar cover, but can't remember.

The screw is underneath, at the front inside corner, right up by the master cylinder so is why need to rotate the brake lever mount out of the way to get a screwdriver in. On reassembly, I left the screw out.

On the blue X10, at 2 years old, this screw was a bit manky so I was able to just lever it out of it's hole by brute force. The white X10's tho wasn't having any of that, so a bit more disassembly was required to get access to it for a screwdriver.

HTH

Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Cafe Racer

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2017, 12:12:29 »

The 3rd small screw is a barsteward. Did I mention I had to take the handlebar top cover off to get at and loosen the left brake lever clamp... (?)

So yes I did...

chippyzip
Provisional

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2017, 12:48:44 »

Righto, I'd better crack on!

Graham 

chippyzip
Provisional

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2017, 15:06:48 »

After a age, soldering the wires G/W to grey I ended up with a scoot that had the dashboard lit up and nothing else! what's the score here?? according to the diagram the new wire is connected to the G/W to grey. Nothing else... what a pain..

Graham

chippyzip
Provisional

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2017, 10:38:53 »

Bugger I give up, better to give in than to mess around and produce a expensive mistake!

Graham

Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Cafe Racer

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2017, 23:35:22 »

Unsolder brown and grey from dipswitch.

Leave the white wire where it is.

Solder the ends of brown and grey together, and tape up with insulation tape.

Do not remove any wires from the flasher button switch.

With a suitably short thin wire, connect the terminal on the flasher switch, having the green/white wire, to the now free terminal on the dip switch that the grey wire used to connect to. (Obviously requires memory or keeping notes.)

HTH

chippyzip
Provisional

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2017, 13:24:23 »

"With a suitably short thin wire, connect the terminal on the flasher switch, having the green/white wire, to the now free terminal on the dip switch that the grey wire used to connect to. (Obviously requires memory or keeping notes.)"

eh?

Graham

Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Cafe Racer

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2017, 17:28:11 »

Remember which terminal the grey wire came from. Sorry I also didn't take an 'after' photo either. I'll try to sort something out...
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 17:38:46 by Mike H » Logged

Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Cafe Racer

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2017, 17:44:14 »

A. disconnect and solder together, tape up.

B. join together with a new short piece of wire of same thickness.

HTH

chippyzip
Provisional

« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2017, 12:00:32 »

Ah Ha!!! Now I got it! I'm off to find my soldering iron again, and strip the light assembly again, Still, plenty of practice for the service! BTW, is getting at the spark plugs a bitch??

Graham

Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Cafe Racer

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2017, 18:55:56 »

Hi, it's quite deep but the toolkit socket will reach. However the provided funny leverage bar with the two 'L' shaped ends (WTF?) just bent, but I had a tommy bar that would go through the socket holes.

Previously I had bought this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00L8REYYC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Because the blue X10's toolkit was missing. Haven't needed the box spanner yet though, but this was the tommy bar I used.

In case you don't know, remove the carpet from the luggage compartment, then remove the humped cover (4 x torx?) to get access to the engine.

HTH

PS: make sure you push the plug cap back on so it clicks - needs a bit of a firm push - else it'll be loose. Guess how I know.  (Rode it to Ross-on-Wye then up to Snowdonia like that and back home all the while wondering why it was misfiring.)

chippyzip
Provisional

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2017, 19:42:16 »

Cheers for the advice Mike, I'll remember this when I do the service! Just finished the switch mod, and it works a treat!

The main beam is much much stronger, and better for the country lanes around here- Thanks!

Graham

Mike H
Rider for the Ride
Cafe Racer

« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2017, 19:50:20 »

Way-hay! 

Yes works much more sensibly this way.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: