X9 Owners & Riders Club
April 26, 2024, 11:33:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Website Gallery Login Register Donate  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Poulet files  (Read 23055 times)
dididowell
dididowell
Stunt Rider

« on: October 13, 2012, 19:35:52 »

Day 1, Spannerman's Bantam arrives in France. I can't believe how lucky I am. All ready to work on on the portable work bench.
A little later in the day,

A little later still, frame stripped to bare metal and sprayed with primer,

That's it for today, as the primer needs a couple of days to harden.
A very big thank you to Spannerman.

650 exec ALO,

Burger
dididowell
dididowell
Stunt Rider

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 20:43:58 »

These photo's refer to earlier post, hopefully right size now.

650 exec ALO,

Burger
cranky

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 10:58:39 »

I like the portable workstand. Trust that the wheels / castors lock into place !!!

Piaggio X9 250
Lambretta Jet 200
Vespa PX 210
Lambretta GP cutdown (slowly evolving....!)
dididowell
dididowell
Stunt Rider

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 22:00:51 »

It's been one step forward and two steps back today. I sprayed the frame black this morning and as I finished I noticed that the paint was starting to wrinkle. I think the two paints were not compatible and it gave off a really strange smell which made me feel a little unwell. I opened the windows and used a rag soaked in petrol to get as much of the black paint off as I could, then rub it down again with wet & dry
 I did manage to unblock the grease nipples for the rear swinging arm bushes (blocked with paint) I was then able to grease the swing arm bushes and force out all traces of the old dried grease. The swing arm bushes are in very good condition with no sign of wear. The Boyer electronic ignition stipulated positive earth which precludes the use of normal LED bulbs (they are negative earth) the other option open to me is to make my own bulbs from single LED's with the positive to earth. I've been on ebay and ordered 3 cans of Tetrosyl mid blue spray paint, some red LED's and a new throttle cable.
 Tomorrow will be a visit to the DIY store to get some black enamel spray paint to have another shot at the frame. Then I shall prepare all the brackets and fittings ready for priming.
 Jan says I should treat the job as a hobby and do an hour or so each day and make it a winter project. Unfortunately I get very involved and time just fly's by.

650 exec ALO,

Burger
spannerman
Stunt Rider

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 13:11:28 »

Brian, I did think that someone had used some household paint on the frame at some time, it was peeling off, and I know that different paints react with each other, Jan's right to say to treat it as a hobby, but I know we all get engrossed in this work.
Restorations, involves all skills, metalwork, painting, mechanics, electricals and updating designs. Which can make it good fun and a learning curve, and you have something worthwhile at the end of it.
Just take time out when you can, I'm already looking at what my next project will be, either a big single road bike, Yamaha SR600 or my friends 1981 Kawasaki Z650, 4 cylinder, I need to tidy up the garage first. If anyone knows of a basket case (other than me) let me know.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 13:24:08 by spannerman » Logged

Dave Weller, Chatham VespaGTS250, Royal Enfield 350 HNTR. NC750X
dididowell
dididowell
Stunt Rider

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 22:46:57 »

Today I primed most of the painted parts after rubbing everything down to the metal, stripped the forks removed the rear wheel bearings and the speedo drive unit, cleaned everything replaced and re-greased (all good, bearings in excellent condition) which was rather surprising as the grease was like candle wax). The rear wheel had a badly worn 46 tooth sprocket which I replaced with a 47 tooth sprocket which was in better nick. The rear wheel is now ready for final assembly.
I never managed to get to the DIY store, maybe tomorrow.
 The new single phase silicon bridge rectifier KBPC35-04, is giving me a bit of a headache. There are four connections and an earth through the mounting, three of the connections are set horizontally and the other is on a vertical plain. The problem I have is trying to decipher which lead should be connected to which terminal. I've downloaded the information but all it gives is the ratings and characteristic curves, but no information as to which wire goes where. Any ideas anyone?
 I've also downloaded info about the Boyer ignition system, which is easy to understand.
I've re-primer the frame again ready for a coat or two of black gloss.

How about this for a project Spannerman? It's a photo I took at a classic vehicle display at Malestroit last Sunday (yesterday)............. Photo in next post, I hope.

650 exec ALO,

Burger
dididowell
dididowell
Stunt Rider

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 22:56:31 »

Your next project Spannerman? and we think paddock stands are a new invention.

650 exec ALO,

Burger
dididowell
dididowell
Stunt Rider

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 23:05:32 »

650 exec ALO,

Burger
Big Ears
Administrator
Old Timer

I'm older than I think!

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 06:24:26 »

Brian

You are pasting the thumbnail picture from the front page of your gallery. If you left click the thumbnail, it will open the full sized picture. Right click that and select "copy image location". Paste that, with the img tags either side.

eg this is the thumbnail link....
http://www.x9gallery.co.uk/home/albums/userpics/10032/thumb_Bikes_016.jpg

this is the full picture link....
http://www.x9gallery.co.uk/home/albums/userpics/10032/normal_Bikes_016.jpg

Spot the difference? The result....

Colin
Silverwing Black Honda Silverwing 2013       IAM logo

Money may not make me happy, but it'll make being miserable more comfortable.
dididowell
dididowell
Stunt Rider

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 17:02:21 »

Thanks Big Ears, that's exactly what I was trying to achieve. Maybe next time I'll get it right. tumbleweed

650 exec ALO,

Burger
spannerman
Stunt Rider

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 17:11:34 »

Brian
I have found this, http://www.classicmotorcycles.org.uk/technical/technical_12v_rectifier.htm
I phoned up the supplier when I got that one, it was easy when he explained it, you have 2 wires from the alternator, 1 earth wire, that terminal is 90 degrees to the others and one output wire.  the other 2 are the ac wires and can go on either way round,
That bike looks like an M21, an older model with girder forks
http://www.mistgreen.com/TonysM21.htm  Misty green is the original Bantam site I found.
Have you decided which way to go with the electrics?
Regards, Dave
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 18:40:39 by spannerman » Logged

Big Ears
Administrator
Old Timer

I'm older than I think!

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 17:14:41 »

Thanks Big Ears

Any time squire, knock yourself out. 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 17:44:12 by Big Ears » Logged

Colin

Big Ears
Administrator
Old Timer

I'm older than I think!

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 17:43:11 »

BTW Brian, do you still welcome guests?  Some of us had hoped to visit you this year, but sadly, it didn't happen. 

A couple of us are making plans for next year.

Colin

spannerman
Stunt Rider

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 17:55:06 »

Please count me in, if anything is arranged, I may use the Van with another bike inside, (you never know)
Brian, had time to think what man said about the rectifier, one terminal is turned 90 degrees to the others, that's the earth,  other one, on that side is the output, the other 2 are the AC inputs, simple!
Can now go to pub tonight and enjoy the Guinness.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 18:05:35 by spannerman » Logged

Big Ears
Administrator
Old Timer

I'm older than I think!

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 18:13:43 »

Please count me in, if anything is arranged

Friends (old and new) always welcome.     If Brian's happy. 

Colin

dididowell
dididowell
Stunt Rider

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2012, 12:52:30 »

I've been informed that I require a rectifier/regulator for the Bantam if I am to convert it to 12v otherwise the battery will get fried. The Bantam works of a single phase alternator. In short would this
 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261029969772?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619 be what I need?
I'm assuming it must be single phase as there are only four wires, or could I be wrong?
I don't know if it is relevant but I am going to use positive earth.
Thanks didi

650 exec ALO,

Burger
Derek
Old Fart
Old Timer

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2012, 21:59:25 »

Got an X9 one in the garage somewhere.

When I was a kid and wanted to be older, this $hit was not what I expected

FuocoRider.co.uk
dididowell
dididowell
Stunt Rider

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2012, 09:20:52 »

Thank you very much for your kind offer Derek, but I think the X9 has a three phase alternator and because the Bantam is single phase, I am not certain that it would suit it. Perhaps Spannerman or Dave Milne could advise.
Again thank you.

650 exec ALO,

Burger
spannerman
Stunt Rider

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2012, 13:10:48 »

Brian, I came to the conclusion to stay with 6v positive earth, I was not going night riding on it, as standard the Bantam uses the Wypac lighting switch to adjust the output of the stator, and the battery smooths out the current and voltage. You can convert to 12volts by altering the alternator wires, which would give a bit more than 12volts, I don't think a Zenor diode is needed as the output is not really high and the battery copes with it .The new rectifier in the box will be fine for it wheather 6 or 12volts.
Try this for a bit of light reading.....   http://www.nortonownersclub.org/support/technical-support-electrical/6v-to-12v-alternator-conversion  
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 15:24:06 by spannerman » Logged

dididowell
dididowell
Stunt Rider

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2012, 14:50:01 »

It's funny you suggested that Dave, as that is the conclusion I am rapidly approaching. I thought of the 12 volt system because I could have (borrowed ?) the battery from Jan's bike and saved myself the price of a 6 volt battery, which would only be used very infrequently. Ironically to save £15 for a battery I was going to have to buy a new 12v coil and other stuff which was going to cost a lot more than the £15 I was trying to save
It started as a snowball and I was turning it into an avalanche.
I've had my medication now and thinking straight again

The frame is now sprayed black and looking resplendent in the lounge in front of the fire to cure the paint. That has caused a bit of trouble for me as it was only yesterday that Jan asked me to light a fire, and I said we didn't need one. She thinks I care more about the Poulet than I care about her. I guess I'll never understand women. All the tinware has been rubbed down to bare metal and primed ready for the Tetrosyl  blue  topcoat. The wheel bearings removed and cleaned and replaced (all good) The front forks completely stripped and cleaned internally, there is a little play in the bushes but still quite serviceable for a while yet. I took the head off to check the bore and everything is in excellent order, it's been bored out to +60thou. very recently as the piston crown looks new. I checked the clutch (all good) I didn't split the crankcase halves as you (Spannerman) said you had checked the crankshaft endfloat.
 I have a list of parts I need, which is going to slow the job down while I try and source them.
  I have really enjoyed every second I have spent with the Poulet, and it's all thanks to the generosity of Spannerman.

650 exec ALO,

Burger
dididowell
dididowell
Stunt Rider

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2012, 20:57:54 »

The Bantam project is now complete. It starts quite easily and ticks over very steadily and it looks very nice too
Many many thanks to Spannerman who made it all possible.

EDIT by Big Ears to correct format error
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 21:12:16 by Big Ears » Logged

650 exec ALO,

Burger
Baldrick
Stunt Rider

I can remember the X9, can you?

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2012, 22:37:12 »

Looks good.

Reborn Big Mac with extra relish 
poldark
Stunt Rider

St Albans, Herts

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2012, 22:55:11 »

Looking good, so what's the top speed?   

Honda NC750X DCT ('17)
Derek
Old Fart
Old Timer

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2012, 23:12:58 »

Very nice 

When I was a kid and wanted to be older, this $hit was not what I expected

FuocoRider.co.uk
nowun
Cafe Racer

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2013, 16:28:25 »

Great looking Bantam! Well done with the resto! My '67 D14/4 was in black - she was only 3 years old then!

2014 Honda NC750X
2012 Honda Silver Wing - 'Rhapsody in blue'
2000 Suzuki Burman 400, 2007 Suzuki GS500F
Part of the SW England Chapter
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: