X9 Owners & Riders Club
October 23, 2020, 21:53:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New member confirmation emails may not be going out so keep checking back using the log on details you asked for.

Home   Help Website Gallery Login Register Donate  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Latest Purchase X9 Evo 500 2005 reg  (Read 53602 times)
james_death
Cafe Racer

« on: August 12, 2012, 18:01:04 »

Well a couple of weeks back spotting a X9 500 evo for sale near bye i went to view and agreed a price and brought it Back... ::

Few fettling bits to do... No Radio/pics system well bloke said it never worked since he got it. Not Really Bothered about it.

Centre stand bloke said he disconnected due to having issues.

Didnt notice the mudguard had snapped at the front mounts, so got back to a holed mudguard....

Mirror held with bitumen and a long stick worked well till i removed the stick.... ::

Leaking fork seal that had allegedly been done recently...

Intermitent engine management light but seamed ok after a few miles, the temp sensor at the back of the water pump was not connected more on that later.

Seam to have a slow air leak to front tyre shame as pretty much brand new tyres.

A rear lens was glued on and came off in hand when back...

A good deal of overspray it felt on the scoot as felt like sand paper...

But here we are....

Wanted to remove the indicator/mirrors since one a bit pants... so did that awaited fleabay parts, namely indicators.

So got the rear one and then noticed the other side not great as thats separating...

Spent 16 hours saturday doing fork seals changing front mudguard with the old honda engined x9 250... ditto the cebtre fairing to match and the rear centre tail unit to give it a go faster stripe...

Put on the 250,s mirrors and pulled the wiring out the evo mirrors and fitted the old style to lower fairing despite the reset service button having been hard wired in so could not take fairing totally away from the scoot.

Found one indictor not working due to pinched wire, sorted fitted the givi Rack of the honda and put the piaggio one in its place on the 250.

Detailing clayed the scoot to remove overspray and a quick glaze went to set off for scooter crazy openday and scoot would not light up at all was putting the wife's modern vespa 125 away and decided ill take battery off mine and charge it while we go in the car.

Found loose connector so all go again set off with daughter on back of the EVO got about 11 miles and big bang the EVO 500 had blown the waterpump housing to bits and blown out the side panel well unfastened it...

Details and pics on other thread....

But here is the faster stripe..... ::

Other Side...

So having just taxed and insured and now off the road...
nash_wrx

Serial multi vehicle owner

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 19:22:46 »

gutted fella, seems like the poor x9 was an abused one

Serial multi vehicle owner

2001 Piaggio x9 250SL (the new favourite toy)
2001 Subaru impreza wrx/ppp (the money pit)
1997 Mazda mx5 1.8 V-Spec (topless fun)
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (the family hauler)
james_death
Cafe Racer

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 08:55:45 »

Looking at service record it seams to have done 11 K early on and then about 2 to 3k a year till its layup.

25K when i got it and exactly 25050 now..
james_death
Cafe Racer

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 08:57:15 »

How Different and softer the X9 Evo looks when replacing the Evo Fairing Centre and Mirrors with the SL Ones and mounting the old Style indicators in the Fairing again.

Mottza
Administrator
Stunt Rider

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 09:14:42 »

Where did get a set of mirrors from as mine keep going loose.

2014 Honda Forza 300 - Previous: 2003 X9 250SL, 2002 Aprilia Leonardo 250. 2004 Piaggio B125 and 2005 Peugeot Ludix 50
BikeSafe
France 2009 & 2018. Betws-y-Coed 2013, Yorkshire Dales 2014, Forest of Dean 2015,  West Country 2016/2017, Norfolk 2017, Peak District 2018, Telford 2019 & Cornwall 2019! 12 years of Pie and Mash Rides!
julian
Stunt Rider

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 11:49:06 »

Ebay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PIAGGIO-X9-MIRRORS-left-right-black-mirror-PAIR-BRAND-NEW-BARGAIN-/180889964698?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2a1de1d09a
Mottza
Administrator
Stunt Rider

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 11:50:20 »

Cheers, seen them ones. Was hoping I could glue them but that didn't work.

2014 Honda Forza 300 - Previous: 2003 X9 250SL, 2002 Aprilia Leonardo 250. 2004 Piaggio B125 and 2005 Peugeot Ludix 50
BikeSafe
France 2009 & 2018. Betws-y-Coed 2013, Yorkshire Dales 2014, Forest of Dean 2015,  West Country 2016/2017, Norfolk 2017, Peak District 2018, Telford 2019 & Cornwall 2019! 12 years of Pie and Mash Rides!
james_death
Cafe Racer

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 06:48:33 »

Yep they been on flea bay a good while, a darn good set of mirrors period.

However mine came off my 250 sl....
james_death
Cafe Racer

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 22:22:41 »

Set about doing the Pump cover, but when i started cleaning the OCD set in and all the panels started coming off.

Currently have the rusting metal pipe that caries the coolant down the right side wrapped in cling film with some bilt hamber deox gel on it.....

Tooth brush and Autosmart G101 on the engine casings the inside of the air box etc etc etc.... mind had to do a few saw throughs on a few bolts seized in.... ::
james_death
Cafe Racer

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 20:09:33 »

Rad Fan needed drilling out of the bottom bolt, now held with a Landrover captive thread clip and stainless bolt.

Most of the frame hammerited running board frames attached and hoses coupled up still not got fitted pump cover all panels still off including headlight and fairing removed the stand ram as not working and 2 cables not connected anyway to it. few connectors were not attached to stuff one i suspect is a diagnostic connector as has a cap on it.

so weekend taken and still not done the pump cover.... ::

Loads of fins gone on the rad from tar stones by the look, need to get some mesh to stop any more damage.
Dave Milnes
Administrator
TT Racer

Fylde Coast

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 20:15:02 »

The diagnostic plug has a cap and should be clipped to the frame just inside the PICS socket cover panel.
Connect up the power to the stand motor, and clean and check the operation of the relay under the RH footboard support then you can do the bypass mod and get it working again if the controller box has failed, which it probably has.
That coolant pipe does get a bit flaky doesn't it? Lots of coats of hammerite does it for me.

2004 X9 500 Evo in YELLOW - 2016 Maxsym 600i Sport
Anderton 2004, Pen-y-cae 2005, Matlock 2006, Hay on Wye 2007, Minehead 2008, St Florence 2010, Newent 2011, North Kyme 2012, Betsw-y-coed 2013, Hardraw 2014, Parkend 2015, Whitby 2016, Mundesley 2017, Derby 2018, Telford 2019.
james_death
Cafe Racer

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 20:23:28 »

The one i thought was the diagnostic one is actually tucked in a metal clip rear of bottom frame in the gap of the diagonal rail.

So sounds like its the one up near the pics that has no cover and seams more of a regular plug connector, the pics is dead also.

I had one wire over the right side of the rear of the fuel tank, just hanging and another that i thought was connected to a switch on the centre stand much like a rear brake light switch but came away in my hand just seamed to have like a red straight coupler on it like the other side.

Wanted to clean out the airbox hose coupling but the clamp by the engine does not seam to have a slit in it to unscrew it and warry water getting in if i dont remove it to clean it. Other than ramming a sponge up there... ::

A fast scan for mesh revealed this site...A4 should work just fine as the second row up on the plastic cover is angled down so any stones there would still miss the rad and think the top row is uncovered with an A4 sheet on its side it should work very well.

http://www.themeshcompany.com/acatalog/stainless-steel-woven-wire-mesh-A4-sheet-size.html
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 20:35:44 by james_death » Logged
james_death
Cafe Racer

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 21:03:37 »

No Its Not A Benneli NaKed..... ::

Skinny X9 500....

Removed Rusty Pipe...

Parts Drying...

Impeller looks ok... all cleaned up around it...

Should there be a Lambda Senor here or is it supposed to be blanked off?

One job im not touching unless it goes is the Exhaust Header, doubt its ever been off....

Certainly no real need with the exhaust seal on the intermediate pipe, mind that must have leaked at some point as part of the dip stick is melted... ::

De Greased all round the head there and casing after the pic and painted up the frame and stand there.
julian
Stunt Rider

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 11:34:40 »

There is no Lambda sensor.

If it has been run without an exhaust seal hot gases may have damaged the pump cover ...
james_death
Cafe Racer

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 19:51:24 »

Valid Point, but it was just the bottom edge of the dipstick seal was there but must not have been clamped properly until they noticed melted dipstick.... ::
regal raptor
Full Cat A

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2012, 12:01:56 »

Hi mate.....i like your style  you have sorted the bike and it looks cool.....like the way you sorted the indicators nice one  great to see you enjoying your purchase 

x9-250 sl.......royal enfield electra (500).... bsa d7 bantam
julian
Stunt Rider

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2012, 15:39:33 »

There is a replaceable seal between the muffler and the pipe which is sometimes not replaced or is left absent. A lot of exhaust gases will escape if this happens which is almost certainly how the dip stick got damaged.
james_death
Cafe Racer

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2012, 19:14:03 »

As Stated the seal is there just as the new one is with the new exhaust on the sl 250, it must have not been clamped properly in the past as no issues now.
james_death
Cafe Racer

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2013, 21:14:51 »

Well long time coming but back on the road again.

Still have some niggles.

Have the buzzing sound again well squealing like brakes but not the brakes the tone never changes but stops as soon as i stop or just before i stop.
Had it disapear a couple of times but soon comes back and there most of the time.

Engine light on all the time unless i tootle at 2.5k revs max its off as soon as they rise its back on.

If i drop to no more than 2.5k revs again after a bit its off again.

The temp gauge seams to stay around the 2 marks above half way.

Then when i pulled up at home after 30 mile run it was just below the last mark before the red.

Scoot seams to run fine though, bit choppy on the front but i know i need more fork oil in.

Ordered a filter cup wrench for changing oil filter.

Ordered another exhaust seal and clamp just to be sure that no escaping hot air that could contribute to extra heat on the water pump cover.

But seams to be mobile again at least.

Oh still need to stop slow air leak to front tyre.

Want her running all ok before touches like both headlights on etc.

Any ideas folks about the buzzing/ squeal??? Also the engine management light always on over 2.5k revs?

Oh the scoot ticks over at about 1.8k revs.

40 mph is at about 4k revs i think and 70 mph at 6k revs.

Dont know if thats what it should be at?

All the best folks and all help appreciated.

julian
Stunt Rider

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2013, 21:57:38 »

Have the buzzing sound again well squealing like brakes but not the brakes the tone never changes but stops as soon as i stop or just before i stop.
Had it disapear a couple of times but soon comes back and there most of the time.

That is the centre stand alarm. The bike sounds it if it thinks the stand is not up and you are moving.

Engine light on all the time unless i tootle at 2.5k revs max its off as soon as they rise its back on.

If i drop to no more than 2.5k revs again after a bit its off again.

You regulator has died and is frying the battery. The engine light is coming on due to voltage going out of range.

The temp gauge seams to stay around the 2 marks above half way.

About right may just need the needle repositioning but not serious if the fan comes on as the needle goes i nthe red or just after and the fan brings the needle back down

Then when i pulled up at home after 30 mile run it was just below the last mark before the red.

Oh still need to stop slow air leak to front tyre.

Get some Ultraseal/Puncturesafe - it is probably just rusty rims stopping a good seal.

julian
Stunt Rider

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2013, 21:59:01 »

BTW, if it is any consolation, I have had all these occur on both the two X9 500s Jackie and I had.
james_death
Cafe Racer

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2013, 22:11:37 »

Thanks Julian,

Greatly appreciated.

The battery is a concern as just shelled out nearly £60 on new gel one.

How do i sort the stand issue?

Can you bypass the alarm and How?

Thanks again, greta forum.

Dave Milnes
Administrator
TT Racer

Fylde Coast

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2013, 22:21:31 »

With a gel battery do not use the bike again until the regulator has been replaced. They cannot vent and blow off overflow fluid so overcharging bulges them and ruins them PDQ.
Check out the wiring and adjustment of the limit switches on the centre stand. Either a wire has come off, or the switch is stuck or mis-adjusted. Probably the LH switch.
You can disconnect the sounder easily enough but it will then not bleep it's normal fully deployed warning either.
Are your gauge needles sitting fully down on the zero marks when off as it sounds like the temp one is a little high considering the time of year. Idling is also a tad high it should be nearer 1500rpm, a bit more is better than any lower but no more than 1600rpm ideally. Idle setting is a dealer job but unusual to need doing. The throttle isn't just sticking a bit is it?

2004 X9 500 Evo in YELLOW - 2016 Maxsym 600i Sport
Anderton 2004, Pen-y-cae 2005, Matlock 2006, Hay on Wye 2007, Minehead 2008, St Florence 2010, Newent 2011, North Kyme 2012, Betsw-y-coed 2013, Hardraw 2014, Parkend 2015, Whitby 2016, Mundesley 2017, Derby 2018, Telford 2019.
james_death
Cafe Racer

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2013, 22:35:21 »

Ill nip and have a look at needles i do know the fuel one when full reads 3/4 and when off reads 1/4 beyond empty...Doh...

Just had a brief look at rectifier prices... oh bum.

A few posts about the web about using other makes of rectifier a few on the aprillia atlantic etc.
julian
Stunt Rider

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2013, 22:43:44 »

There are plenty that are exactly the same but have different connectors. You will problem find the connectors on your bike will have melted, they nearly always have if the regulator has failed. This means you will need to write the replacement in so it matters not if the connectors are different from the original. Dave knows more.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: