X9 Owners & Riders Club
December 05, 2019, 19:34:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New member confirmation emails may not be going out so keep checking back using the log on details you asked for.

Home   Help Website Gallery Login Register Donate  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Custom wavy discs on Xevo 400ie.  (Read 2958 times)
loonymoon
Cafe Racer

Ex- Xevo pilot

« on: November 07, 2010, 17:21:22 »

As part of the "premier" service Tom did on my XEvo I got him to fit a set of wavy discs to the scoot. Now normally I wouldn't bother with this sort of mod as it's really just cosmetic, especially the rear disc as it's barely visible on the XEvo. However as Tom was offering these high quality discs for £90 the set of 3 (malossi wavy's are £90 odd EACH) , I decided to go for it and get the scoot upgraded to sintered pads (which these discs are supposed to be better at coping with as well).

So here are pics of the wavy discs on my XEvo. Not the best pics as it was getting dark, I gave it a quick polish with Mr Sheen. Very pleased with them, they look great (though my scoot is really just a workhorse) and seem to eliminate that sort of whistling noise I got braking with the standard discs.

Of course another great job by Tom and an absolute BARGAIN as I now have a full set of spare discs (and part worn pads) in case I should ever need them.

Scooterless now :-(

ex- XEvo 400 owner
macker19
CBT

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 19:35:22 »

Are they better than the stock ones for stopping

09 midnight blue Xevo 400ie
loonymoon
Cafe Racer

Ex- Xevo pilot

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 21:32:36 »

DOn't know yet but I doubt they are at all. The pads might make more difference as they're sintered ones, already riding the 120 miles back from Lowestoft I think the brakes had more feel to them the old ones (especially the rear) were rather wooden feeling.

The discs are supposed to be treated and hardened to make them more resistant to the use of sintered pads, i.e. they shouldn't wear out as quick as the standard ones with the sintered pads. Mainly I think it's for looks though. Must say, they do make the old ones look rather boring...!! As I said I'm not normally one for doing mods just for cosmetic's sake.

ex- XEvo 400 owner
loonymoon
Cafe Racer

Ex- Xevo pilot

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 14:23:48 »

So I've done a few miles now since CT's service (around 1000) and the brake discs /  sintered pads have had a chance to properly bed in.

I'm very happy with them, the braking is now much more progressive, sharper but with more feel (i.e. not tooo sharp) and I now have a lot more confidence in the Xevo's stopping abilities.

Very pleased!

Oh and the poor scoot hasn't looked as clean as those pics since they were taken I don't think - it's currently absolutely filthy having not been properly cleaned but used pretty much daily for the last 2 months!!

The discs do get some rust spots on them - though this is entirely cosmetic and according to CT normal due to the higher iron content which gives them their hardness. This brushes off/ wears off easily but does look a bit disconcerting if the bike is left unused for a few days - especially when there's been salt around.

ex- XEvo 400 owner
julian
Full Cat A

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 22:32:42 »

I thought it was not high iron, but low chrome. Pure cast iron is best but rusts a lot. Cosmetically this is a problem, so a lot of chrome is added to make them shiny (or in the 80's bikes like the Honda CBX550 had shrouded disks to stop you seeing the rust).
loonymoon
Cafe Racer

Ex- Xevo pilot

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 22:33:53 »

Well I can only say what CT told me about the discs. The standard ones don't rust at all I always assumed that was because they were stainless steel... but I don't know.

ex- XEvo 400 owner
julian
Full Cat A

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 06:37:49 »

Stainless steel is 11% Chromium. The lower the Chrome content the more likely it is to rust.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: