X9 Owners & Riders Club
March 28, 2024, 08:10:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Website Gallery Login Register Donate  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New XEvo 400ie  (Read 106213 times)
loonymoon
Stunt Rider

Ex- Xevo pilot

« on: March 18, 2010, 16:09:14 »

It arrived in the crate at the dealers today and I'm picking it up on Monday afternoon... Woo Hoo....  (sorry it's not a burger  )

My first ever new vehicle, can't wait to get her home and give her her first treatment with Collinite wax and see that midnight blue bodywork shine.

Scooterless now :-(

ex- XEvo 400 owner
johnp
Old Timer

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 16:15:02 »

It's gonna be a long weekend as you will be thinking of the bike.

I.A.M member:
Barnfields Plumbing & Property Services

poldark
Stunt Rider

St Albans, Herts

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 16:36:41 »

It must be like Xmas was when you were 7 years old!   

However please don't look at the forecast for Monday.   

Honda NC750X DCT ('17)
spannerman
Stunt Rider

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 18:09:34 »

I should ask the dealer about polishing it so early. leaving paint to fully cure is best, or I'm I just lazy.
 Having said that crap, I've polished my black Burger already.
Anyway, enjoy the new one, it's better all-rounder than the big burger, I brought a small bike for some journey's.

Dave Weller, Chatham VespaGTS250, Royal Enfield 350 HNTR. NC750X
Mr.Chips
Administrator
Old Timer

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 18:29:41 »

I agree with Dave. Lay off the polish for a little while.

There's enough in most car-shampoos to do the business at first.

Mike.
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU GT - HAL
When did you last read the Highway Code?
Now part of the NE England Chapter.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
Edmund Burke
loonymoon
Stunt Rider

Ex- Xevo pilot

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 20:23:17 »

OK fair enough on the polish - I've never really thought of it being THAT new... :: I'm sure it'll be shiny anyhow.

Yes, John, it's going to be a  loooooooong weekend...

ex- XEvo 400 owner
loonymoon
Stunt Rider

Ex- Xevo pilot

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 18:10:08 »

Typical it would rain when I picked up my new bike. Still at least it wasn't torrential like it was when I got the X8 - brand new tyres and brand new brakes wouldn't have been much fun in torrential rain 

It had 0.4 miles on it when I rode away (very short test ride then...) and 32 miles on it when I got home. In fairness when I got there they were still fitting the hotgrips so I think I rushed them a bit. The sales guy had to clean it up while I was there waiting.

She feels quieter (at least engine noise), and smoother than the X8 - probably due to 18,600 less miles. A bit more comfy too which I put down to the slightly redesigned seat which feels squidgier and that the rear suspension was set on the softest setting where as it was on 3 on the X8. Nice to ride though. I did let rip once on the motorway, but didn't go too mad.

Some not so good photos - dodging rain drops. LOVE the colour and the fact that the mirror backs are painted not just black plastic like the X8.

Like the digital display and dash which looks much more modern than the X8 - plus allows you to have trip/odo in miles.

BUT - what's this - no remote for boot /seat   Note a fairly neat job of the Hotgrips controller.

The remote is not even mentioned in the manual so Piaggio must have stopped doing them. It doesn't seem to be an option either.
 This XEvo does get handlebar buttons for both seat and boot like the X8 though - plus also the Hazard warning switch. The courtesy XEvo I rode didn't have a seat button - as that's where the Hazards button was placed, so thats what I thought it'd be like. No biggie really as I was very used to using the buttons on the handlebars and only used the remote occasionally or if I wanted to be flash. Plus without the remote it won't be as easy to lock the keys under the seat like I have done, or accidentally open the seat/boot with the sensitive remote and not realise!

The other thing was that there's supposed to be a seat cover under the seat but the place where it's meant to be was empty. The chap said they haven't had them on any new Piaggio's recently. A bit weird, but no big loss as I never used the X8 one as it was USELESS because it wasn't waterproof!!  ::  Having the space does mean if I could be arsed I could find a seat cover that would work and store it in there I guess though!

Overall I like the XEvo - the plastics on the front panels feel softer and nicer to the touch than the X8's did, the dash looks much better and I quite like the backrest - not that I've ever had a pillion. I also like the new seat which feels more comfy to me. Other than that it's pretty much the same as the X8 - which is a good thing.

I've gone over all the screws I could get to with ACF-50 already, but it's kind of weird seeing all the bolts and nuts pristine clean. Won't be for long I'm sure.

I Like it a lot. 

ex- XEvo 400 owner
Mr.Chips
Administrator
Old Timer

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 18:15:09 »

It's luverly!

I hope you have lots of very happy miles riding it.

Are you coming on the Kent Ride so we can all drool over it?

Mike.
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU GT - HAL
When did you last read the Highway Code?
Now part of the NE England Chapter.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
Edmund Burke
loonymoon
Stunt Rider

Ex- Xevo pilot

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 18:33:02 »

Thanks Mike, to be honest I've not looked at the thread. I'll have a look now.

ex- XEvo 400 owner
johnp
Old Timer

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 18:50:05 »

Very nice Carmen, will you be taking it to the Ace on Sunday for scooter day.

I.A.M member:

loonymoon
Stunt Rider

Ex- Xevo pilot

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 18:58:56 »

Not sure yet. If I'm there I'm there.

ex- XEvo 400 owner
johnp
Old Timer

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 19:01:44 »

The wing mirrors look the same as the mirrors of a X9 sl.

I.A.M member:

Dave Milnes
Administrator
Old Timer

Fylde Coast

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 19:49:08 »

Looks nice and from the front quite sleek, but I think when the steering is turned and the mudguard still points forward still looks odd. There is another smaller mudguard lurking under there as well.
It would look really good in yellow.

2004 X9 500 Evo in YELLOW - 2016 Maxsym 600i Sport
Anderton 2004, Pen-y-cae 2005, Matlock 2006, Hay on Wye 2007, Minehead 2008, St Florence 2010, Newent 2011, North Kyme 2012, Betsw-y-coed 2013, Hardraw 2014, Parkend 2015, Whitby 2016, Mundesley 2017, Derby 2018, Telford 2019, Loch Doon 2020, Cumbria 2021.
nolezmaj
Cafe Racer

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 23:28:44 »

Nice bike, all shiny and new - you have to put on lots of miles quickly!

Maybe too soon to ask, but have you noticed any change in aerodynamics? Front mudguard is supposed to give less air-drag, perhaps change could be noticeable...

Piaggio X9 250cc 2001.
loonymoon
Stunt Rider

Ex- Xevo pilot

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 00:06:54 »

Well the windnoise is the same from the screen.. so I will be fixing the aerotrim to the edge of the screen. I did notice that the bike seemed smoother, I'm not sure how much of that may be due to less buffetting and sleeker aerodynamics - of course most of that is probably because it's quite a few thousand miles newer than the X8!

I'll be interested to see whether the difference in aerodynamics is noticible in the fuel consumption. The XEvo does look sleeker as Dave said, so may cut through the air a bit better. I know XEvo owners who seem to get high 70's fuel consumption as an average. Mine on the X8 was about 65mpg average which I thought was good but not as good as the XEvo's of course my commute might also be more fuel consuming than their normal rides... I'm looking forward to finding out!

ex- XEvo 400 owner
loonymoon
Stunt Rider

Ex- Xevo pilot

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 11:04:15 »

Had a lovely ride into work today. She feels SOooooo smooth, I thought I was taking it easy but looked at the clock to see an indicated 80mph... not really supposed to be pushing it yet. Though it didn't really feel like it was pushing it at all. Felt like a queen riding it, it's soooooo comfy. The X8 was comfy too but the seat on the XEvo is very luxurious, it feels like a favourite sofa... LUUUUURVELY!

EDIT : after ride home:

I'm officially in LUUUUURRVE. She's beautiful, lovely to ride, like the X8 but more comfy, though I do think I'll up the back suspension to the second setting as it's perhaps a little too soft for me. The X8's was on 3 which I think was a bit to hard really.

25% setting on the hotgrips tonight was just right - not that I really needed it, but heck if you've got it, flaunt it!

For some reason the side stand on the XEvo is a lot better than on the X8, I think it might be slightly longer and more angled, the XEvo feels much more secure on it than the X8 ever did.

I think that Piaggio have done it right with the XEvo, they've taken the best bit of the X8 (which was basically the engine and running gear/practicality) and just made it that bit plusher and nicer looking. Great stuff, and brilliant VFM too in my book.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 18:33:57 by loonymoon » Logged

ex- XEvo 400 owner
macker19
Full Cat A

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2010, 00:45:56 »

you sud have got a key with the remote for the boot lock. i only got mine a few months ago and got 1 with mine  its the same colour as yours

09 midnight blue Xevo 400ie
loonymoon
Stunt Rider

Ex- Xevo pilot

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2010, 08:15:59 »

I think Piaggio have literally just changed the range. When I ordered mine the dealer said that they'd just started making black ones and had dropped the grey (which I thought wasn't too nice anyway), he said the first black XEvo's were being produced that week.

My manual does not show a remote control at all, and it shows the key looking exactly like the one I've got. The manual I got with the X8 does show a remote, so it looks like they've dropped it from the range.

I rode a courtesy XEvo 400ie when I had my X8 in for a service at Thompsons, that one had a remote, but it didn't have a seat button on the handlebars, the button on the left bar which does the seat on the X8 and on my new XEvo was the hazard warning switch. I expected my new XEvo to be like the courtesy one  I rode, so I was training myself to use the remote rather than the handlebar seat switch. As it turns out I needn't have! I used the seat button on the handlebar all the time on the X8 so I thought I would miss it.

My  Xevo has the hazard button on the right handlebar where there was a have a blank space on my X8 and the courtesy XEvo, where the light switch might have been on earlier X8 models.

ex- XEvo 400 owner
julian
Stunt Rider

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2010, 08:38:54 »

The later MP3s don't have the remote either that earlier ones had.
loonymoon
Stunt Rider

Ex- Xevo pilot

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2010, 17:53:09 »

Got it muddy a bit today, as I took the "blue machine" to High Beech and sat on my own for a bit. It was all muddy so I messed up the footboards with muddy footprints. But I had a nice ride round and round Epping, Broxbourne, Hoddesdon, Dobbs Weir etc just following my nose.

She's beautiful to ride, we did about another 35-40 miles. I don't know how much of the lovely feel is because she's brand new or how much is due to the re-design, but I certainly feel like she cuts through the air a bit better than the X8 so there may be  better aerodynamics there, the beak probably helps - though might not in cross wind! Still haven't got through a full tank of petrol yet so haven't got a clue what mpg but I'd say judging by running so far it's on course to equal/better the X8 on this first tankful.

Very, very happy.  

ex- XEvo 400 owner
spannerman
Stunt Rider

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2010, 18:05:31 »

Shame I missed you, I was there at 10.00BST

Dave Weller, Chatham VespaGTS250, Royal Enfield 350 HNTR. NC750X
loonymoon
Stunt Rider

Ex- Xevo pilot

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2010, 18:19:37 »

I didn't get there until after 4pm. I would have gone on the Ace ride with MM but I had someone coming to visit today.

ex- XEvo 400 owner
dididowell
dididowell
Stunt Rider

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2010, 18:45:40 »

I am still very satisfied with the 250evo, but if I were to consider anything to replace it, I think that it would be for one like yours. I hope you get lots of pleasure from it

650 exec ALO,

Burger
loonymoon
Stunt Rider

Ex- Xevo pilot

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2010, 19:34:40 »

So do I Dididowell. Early days but I love my blue machine!

ex- XEvo 400 owner
loonymoon
Stunt Rider

Ex- Xevo pilot

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2010, 13:15:54 »

Just got back from Palmers where they fitted a new numberplate as they'd drilled the old one wrong so it had a hole in the wrong place.

The petrol light has just come on at about 140 miles and I wondered what was going on as the trip meter reset itself, but I think it's actually now counting up from when the light came on - very handy, I think the trip with the mileage since I filled up is still there so I can see how many miles I do to the very first tankful. It's looking OK though as I usually did around 150 on a normal tank on the X8, nearer 200 on a long cruise.

I bought an oxford Lifetime Deluxe sports expandable tail pack while I was at Palmers, as they had one there that had been lightly used (just put on twice) by the owners son. It's worth about £80 but they let me have it for £30! BARGAIN. It's huge when it's expanded, and I won't use it often, but as I'm not intending to get a top box for the XEvo it'll be useful if I decide to go down to Swanage on it to visit my parents.

Rode back from Hemel in fairly heavy rain, but didn't get too wet.

Still V. happy with the XEvo, she feels like I'm riding a magic carpet, so smooth and comfortable - more comfortable than the X8 was, largely due to the lovely redesigned seat, and that the rear suspension is still set on it's softest setting. I might whack it up a notch at some point as it's possibly a little too soft with my hefty lump on it!

ex- XEvo 400 owner
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: