X9 Owners & Riders Club
April 16, 2024, 04:37:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Website Gallery Login Register Donate  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Biondi screen for X8/ XEvo  (Read 20223 times)
loonymoon
Stunt Rider

Ex- Xevo pilot

« on: February 21, 2010, 15:35:57 »

I've been looking at this Screen for X8/Xevo found by someone on MM.

It's a Biondi full screen with handguards.

Biondi screen at myscooterparts CLICKY

But I'm totally confused. It looks like it might be as tall as the GIVI DT500 but the Biondi is stated at "85cm x 74cm" and the Givi is stated at "58 x 46 cm-
20cm taller than original screen".

That makes no sense as I know that the GIVI is absolutely huge and only those 6ft 2 or taller can see over it (no chance for me then).

I went and measured the standard X8 screen and it's about 56cm from the top to the bottom of the visible part so there's no way the Givi is 58cm tall. I don't know how they've got that measurement.

I've put up with the horrendous noise from the standard screen, as if I bought the GIVI I'd have to cut it down by an awful lot to be able to see over it. I know people who have the Givi and cut it down, and they say it makes a huge difference to the scooter, but I don't think they have had to cut it down as far as I'd need to. Is it worth it I wonder?

Scooterless now :-(

ex- XEvo 400 owner
Dave Milnes
Administrator
Old Timer

Fylde Coast

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 19:47:32 »

If you could find a second hand screen at reasonable price, then it is worth a go cutting it down a bit at a time until you are happy, then if you spoil it, you haven't binned a brand new screen you paid top dollar for.
Even a badly scratched scrapper for next to nothing just to use as a test bed might be better initially.
I played around at something similar with the Tmax where I cut down a scrap sports screen and tried to use it like the under screen on the X9 with triple supports and a separate upper screen made out of a £5 sheet of 3mm perspex off Ebay. It almost worked but the Tmax screen is quite curved and bending it was the stumbling block.
It would be quite easy to make something for the X9 as the screen is fairly flat.
Perspex bends quite easily when heated but it's getting a former and an evenly spread heat source that's the stumbling block.

2004 X9 500 Evo in YELLOW - 2016 Maxsym 600i Sport
Anderton 2004, Pen-y-cae 2005, Matlock 2006, Hay on Wye 2007, Minehead 2008, St Florence 2010, Newent 2011, North Kyme 2012, Betsw-y-coed 2013, Hardraw 2014, Parkend 2015, Whitby 2016, Mundesley 2017, Derby 2018, Telford 2019, Loch Doon 2020, Cumbria 2021.
loonymoon
Stunt Rider

Ex- Xevo pilot

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 21:50:18 »

Yes the X8 screen is a PITA for things like laminar lips and the like because it's so curved near the top. I tried an aerotrim but couldn't get it near enough to the top of the screen to be very effective.

Secondhand screen may be worth looking out for but I have a feeling there won't be too many around - worth a try though. I'm pretty sure the Piaggio tall screen is pretty similar so I could look out for both.

Any tips on cutting them down if I do find one - I presume there might be a thread somewhere.

EDIT: just found a new GIVI screen ebay.  £81 +P+P or best offer. States measurements as 800mm by 600mm which sounds more like it and means that the Biondi screen might actually be a bit taller!

I'm thinking about making an offer, but I may watch it until after pay-day

ex- XEvo 400 owner
Dave Milnes
Administrator
Old Timer

Fylde Coast

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 23:03:55 »

If you do cut one down, it isn't difficult as they are quite soft. An electric jigsaw with a metal cutting blade on medium speed works fine. Plenty of broad masking tape around where you are cutting both to mark the cut line onto and to protect the screen from being scratched by the shoe of the saw. Support both sides of the cut and let the tool do the work.

Anderton 2004, Pen-y-cae 2005, Matlock 2006, Hay on Wye 2007, Minehead 2008, St Florence 2010, Newent 2011, North Kyme 2012, Betsw-y-coed 2013, Hardraw 2014, Parkend 2015, Whitby 2016, Mundesley 2017, Derby 2018, Telford 2019, Loch Doon 2020, Cumbria 2021.
loonymoon
Stunt Rider

Ex- Xevo pilot

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 23:55:46 »

Cheer's Dave, mine of information as always, we do have a jigsaw and a workbench.

Masking tape both sides of the screen?

ex- XEvo 400 owner
Dave Milnes
Administrator
Old Timer

Fylde Coast

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 09:00:56 »

Yes that way the screen is protected against scratching from what you rest it on.
Depending on the curve, you may find it easier to saw from the outside (front) so the sole of the saw will sit against the plastic around the blade rather than it being bridged away slightly. Rest the screen on some blocks either side of the cut and cut in short segments moving the screen  around as you go. The main thing is that nothing starts flapping up and down with the blade or that's when cracking happens.
Any imperfections in the cut can be sanded off afterwards using any normal woodworking type tools, surform, sandpaper and some wet and dry will put on a nice radiused polished edge.
You can get perspex scratch remover which will get rid of any slight marks, sold generally for aircraft canopies.

loonymoon
Stunt Rider

Ex- Xevo pilot

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 12:13:30 »

I submitted a best offer on the GIVI this morning, I'll see if it's accepted or not. I think I do want to go down that route though, the screen is the X8's worst feature.

ex- XEvo 400 owner
loonymoon
Stunt Rider

Ex- Xevo pilot

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 14:47:23 »

The ebay seller let my best offer expire and as his price was £81 plus £5 shipping, so I just ordered a GIVI screen £84.46 inc shipping from "motorbikes and parts".

I'm gonna cut it down quite considerably..... the jigsaw will be getting an outing! I'll post the results here... as this is a recurring question among X8/Evo owners!

ex- XEvo 400 owner
Dave Milnes
Administrator
Old Timer

Fylde Coast

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 18:43:37 »

Use the top of the old screen as a template for the shape and lop off a bit at a time, and the moment you are happy stop, as sods law will be that if you go one bit further you'll spoil it!

loonymoon
Stunt Rider

Ex- Xevo pilot

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 18:53:45 »

Good idea about using the old screen. I was thinking of ways to do it, like marking it up, attaching a pencil to some string and using the length of the string from the badge on the screen to draw a curve. But your way is much better... . I think I'll put the screenon and go for a short ride first to get a feel for it, then maybe mark out about nose level, and perhaps cut a cm or so higher than that to allow some leeway.

I reckon the standard screen is about 10cm too low, the GIVI is supposed to be 20cm higher so I'll need to cut around 10cm off I think.

ex- XEvo 400 owner
loonymoon
Stunt Rider

Ex- Xevo pilot

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 22:54:34 »

Got the GIVI screen. The box was so HUGE I had to take the seat pads out from the back seats of the car to give it enough headroom to get it in the car! It's certainly a big thing. I'm slightly worried I'm going to have to cut it down so far that it'll look very odd as it'll be wider than it is tall, but we'll see.  I hope to fit it to the scooter this weekend and try the cutting....

ex- XEvo 400 owner
dididowell
dididowell
Stunt Rider

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 23:12:21 »

When you have cut the screen down, you can smooth the cut edge to a beautiful finish using ordinary cardboard from a cardboard box. Dont use wet&dry or sandpaper as that will scratch.
  It involves quite a bit of elbow grease and patience but the end result is well worth it.

650 exec ALO,

Burger
loonymoon
Stunt Rider

Ex- Xevo pilot

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 23:32:58 »

Cheers for the tip dididowell sounds like it'll need a LOT of elbow grease, still I could do with the exercise!

ex- XEvo 400 owner
jimc
Club Elder
Old Timer

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 00:37:28 »

Cut fairly flat as well - make the edge roundings small radius.

Jim Crowther
GT200L (The Hornet), GTS300 (in CA)
loonymoon
Stunt Rider

Ex- Xevo pilot

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 09:28:44 »

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll try to get some pics as I do it and post them up in a new thread as a How to (hopefully not a how not to!).

ex- XEvo 400 owner
dididowell
dididowell
Stunt Rider

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2010, 11:31:47 »

Cheers for the tip dididowell sounds like it'll need a LOT of elbow grease, still I could do with the exercise!

Don't press on too hard, go for a light, fast action to generate a little heat.

650 exec ALO,

Burger
loonymoon
Stunt Rider

Ex- Xevo pilot

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 23:07:44 »

Screen project on hold for a while until I get the new XEvo - I'm hoping (feebly) that the "beak" and slightly different styling at the front end will make a difference to the wind noise. Though I'm pretty sure it won't and the GIVI will be getting cut!

ex- XEvo 400 owner
Dave Milnes
Administrator
Old Timer

Fylde Coast

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010, 23:16:55 »

The Xevo would be quite nice looking if it had a conventional mudguard. Could you not fit one from an X8/9, I bet the mounting lugs are still on the fork legs.
Doesn't the lack of mudguard down the back of the wheel mean a lot of road muck will be thrown up into the radiator or is the grille been redesigned, I've yet to se an Xevo in the flesh?

loonymoon
Stunt Rider

Ex- Xevo pilot

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 23:27:15 »

I was wondering the same myself about the muck spraying up on the radiator (wasn't that an issue with tmaxes sometimes??)

I was never keen on the beaky look, though I have to say it has grown on me a little since I first saw it, the XEvo definitely has sharper looks than the rather lardy X8 styling. The beak doesn't look nearly so bad in the flesh as all the pictures are taken from a low angle which accentuates it and makes it look like a BMW GS!!

I had a look at the XEvo 125 they had in the showroom and from normal angles the mudguard looks fine. I didn't examine the radiator too closely though. I'll keep an eye on that on mine as that thought had occurred to me too. Mind you the rear portion of the mudguard on the X8 didn't extend all that far down either, though it was obviously closer to the wheel so would have probably been more effective.

Ohh just found this piccy of an XEvo and it looks like there's a hugger on the front wheel. Presumably not a standard fit item.. I can't remember seeing it before...?? Actually - the more pics I look at the more I see with the little hugger. I never noticed that before!! 

ex- XEvo 400 owner
nolezmaj
Cafe Racer

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2010, 23:44:32 »

I just don't get one thing - Piaggio designers made beak physicaly, but not visually integral with main body? You expect it to move with wheel, but it doesn't... If it is a part of the main body, than it should look like that - that is the essence of good design. The rest of bike looks very good, it is a very successful redesign (visually).

Piaggio X9 250cc 2001.
loonymoon
Stunt Rider

Ex- Xevo pilot

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2010, 23:49:03 »

I agree there - it looks awkward because of the line separating it from the main body as you say.  I've seen a couple of XEvo's filtering in traffic though and I have to say they cut quite a dash. It is a nice looking scoot really - quite bike-like looking from the front.

ex- XEvo 400 owner
loonymoon
Stunt Rider

Ex- Xevo pilot

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2010, 10:14:15 »

If you do cut one down, it isn't difficult as they are quite soft. An electric jigsaw with a metal cutting blade on medium speed works fine. Plenty of broad masking tape around where you are cutting both to mark the cut line onto and to protect the screen from being scratched by the shoe of the saw. Support both sides of the cut and let the tool do the work.

Finally got round to looking at cutting the HUGE GIVI screen I bought for the X8 down. I took the original screen off hoping I could fit the GIVI and go for a ride to see how it was before marking it off where I need to cut.

However I was foiled by the fact that the GIVI doesn't come with the rubber grommits which presumably have to be removed from the original screen however I couldn't see how to easily do this as they're tightly fitted in the holes. At least with my weak fingers I wasn't able to pull them off.

As I was going to re-fit the original anyway I just roughly masking taped the GIVI into place on the brackets and then sat on the scoot to see how it looked.

The Givi leans back a fair way towards the rider so it got closer to me than the standard screen, but the result was that it wasn't as tall as I feared it'd be. I did however have to look through the top 3-4 inches of the screen which I'd need to remove. The GIVI actually looks quite nice as it has the black bits round the bottom, though the rest isn't smoked, it also protects the hands a lot more than the original.

Just ordered a spare set of grommets to use with the GIVI so that I can more easily swap them back and forth if I feel the need.

I'm just about to have a look at the jigsaw we have and see about possibly cutting the GIVI today. gulp.... I've roughly masked it where I think I need to cut, but I will measure up and try to draw a decent line across before I actually go for it.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 10:29:56 by loonymoon » Logged

ex- XEvo 400 owner
loonymoon
Stunt Rider

Ex- Xevo pilot

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2010, 11:35:11 »

Phew, well I just bit the bullet and did it. There was already an aluminium blade on the Jigsaw when I dug it out so I just went for it. It was easier than I was expecting, though quite difficult not to get a wiggly line.

In the end I think I did a reasonably good job - I finished it off with a hand hacksaw to put curves on the edges and then filed it down.

I hope it does the job when it finally gets fitted!! I did it just in time as just after I'd finished it started raining!

Here's a piccy of my handywork. Not too bad for a first try and my first time ever using a jigsaw!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 11:57:00 by loonymoon » Logged

ex- XEvo 400 owner
Dave Milnes
Administrator
Old Timer

Fylde Coast

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2010, 11:42:51 »

If you have any wobbly bits a surform works wonders at getting the bumps smoothed out. Used lengthways along the cut edge.

loonymoon
Stunt Rider

Ex- Xevo pilot

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2010, 11:49:46 »

I just had to look up what a surform was!! Thanks Dave! I think it's OK though, the cut was reasonably straight, though I did have a raised area on the right hand side which I sorted out with the handsaw, then filed it down so hopefully its not noticible now.

Looking at the bit I cut off, I reckon I could easily make some sort of lip for the original screen using it. When I offered it up it fit pretty well, so I've just ordered a set of the mounting blobs/strips that the Laminar LIP company use to secure their lips to screens.

Lots of options now!! GIVI in the winter and perhaps original plus homemade lip (if it works) in the summer.

ex- XEvo 400 owner
loonymoon
Stunt Rider

Ex- Xevo pilot

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2010, 15:46:03 »

Well there's been some progress with the screen on the XEvo the last few days. I finally fitted the GIVI screen today. I haven't taken it out for a test ride yet as I'm stuck in at the moment. Even though I cut it down by about 4"  I can only just see over it   - but hopefully it won't be an issue...

A chap on Maxi-muppets has fitted the Biondi screen to his XEvo, it's absolutely massive. Bigger than the GIVI as it has more substantial handguards.

ex- XEvo 400 owner
X9-125-Evo
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2010, 16:17:44 »

i think it looks good, and will keep you warm come winter time
loonymoon
Stunt Rider

Ex- Xevo pilot

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2010, 16:20:40 »

Thanks, yes I think it will be warmer, plus the handguard bits will work well with the heated grips. I had neither last year on the X8.

ex- XEvo 400 owner
loonymoon
Stunt Rider

Ex- Xevo pilot

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2010, 19:32:02 »

Just went for a test ride. Ultimate test = no ear plugs and motorway..

What can I say - GREAT!! Obviously the noise was louder the faster I went but what a VAST improvement. It was bearable at all speeds, I wouldn't want to ride for long periods at motorway speeds without earplugs and probably will still wear them but wow, so much better. The noise from the visor rattling at higher speeds was almost the loudest bit!!

In part due to the Lazer being a particularly quiet helmet but still, impressive.

I also felt like the wind was deflected much more from my arms and hands. I was wearing Hein Gericke AIR mesh gloves and could feel no air movement through them. Perhaps not much good for the height of the summer, but I have a feeling the GIVI is going to remain on the scoot now, probably until about May 2011!!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 21:43:41 by loonymoon » Logged

ex- XEvo 400 owner
nolezmaj
Cafe Racer

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2010, 19:40:27 »

Cool! 

Did you notice any difference in bike performance? When I fitted large screen on my Piaggio Liberty, there was considerable drop in max. speed (from almost 100kmh to 90kmh).

Also - do be careful, when driving in windy condition, large screen makes you more unstable... 

Piaggio X9 250cc 2001.
loonymoon
Stunt Rider

Ex- Xevo pilot

« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2010, 20:16:16 »

I didn't notice any difference in top speed, but then I don't get there that often!!  I can imagine it'd catch the wind more though....

ex- XEvo 400 owner
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: