X9 Owners & Riders Club
March 05, 2021, 01:40:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Now on the latest version server everything seems to be working OK, further investigation is needed to resolve what failed when trying to upgrade the forum before another attempt is made, so for now it will be left as it is.

Home   Help Website Gallery Login Register Donate  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Belt change.  (Read 2100 times)
allen m
Cafe Racer

« on: May 17, 2018, 14:18:57 »

Hi all
As stated in another topic I am likely to sell the X9 Evo 125.
To be fair to a new owner I will change the transmission belt.
Question.
Is it as simple as the info on this site and the Haynes manual state? It look as if it is not necessary to remove body panels or would it be better to remove them?
Note, I have worked on motor bikes and changed primary chains and manual clutches so it's just the 'catch' I might run into. Good tool selection available and engineering background before retiring.
Thanks in anticipation.
Regards
Allen Morgan

Allen Morgan. First time scooter rider (X9 Evo 125cc Imperial Blue 2006 reg) since January 2014 after being on Bikes from 50cc to 650cc since 1958 (and cars since 1962).
polecat
Cafe Racer

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 14:23:51 »

allen i think with your experience it will be a doddle impact driver is needed though good luck
polecat

scooter piaggio x7 125cc 2008
bedlington northumberland
roadster
Cafe Racer

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 07:40:23 »

You will also need the tool for holding the variator when tightening the variator nut to the correct torque as its unwise to use the impact driver to do this. ( Although you might get away with it if you mark the position of the nut before you loosen it). You might be able to make this tool if you can't get access to one, but beware of damaging the outer pulley and fan blades. Another common issue is getting the belt trapped too low in the front pulley so that even when the nut is correctly torqued the assembly is not fully home. It then comes loose once you start to run and can wreck everything. A certain amount of brute force is needed on the back pulley halves to twist and pull them apart to get the belt down enough to give you some slack at the front. ( twisting is needed because the rear pulley moving half is on a worm drive). Once everything is back in place and looking right turn the engine by hand or run it briefly before double checking the variator nut.
Dave Milnes
Administrator
Old Timer

Fylde Coast

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 08:21:51 »

Solo can do it blindfolded at the side of the road in the dark and when it's snowing...so you should be able to do it without any problems. A holding tool is better on a 125 as it helps support the shaft from bending forces as well as stopping it turning. The Buzetti ones are cheap enough on Ebay.
Note the belt may have direction markings, the 500 ones do.

2004 X9 500 Evo in YELLOW - 2016 Maxsym 600i Sport
Anderton 2004, Pen-y-cae 2005, Matlock 2006, Hay on Wye 2007, Minehead 2008, St Florence 2010, Newent 2011, North Kyme 2012, Betsw-y-coed 2013, Hardraw 2014, Parkend 2015, Whitby 2016, Mundesley 2017, Derby 2018, Telford 2019, Loch Doon 2020.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: