X9 Owners & Riders Club
March 29, 2024, 12:18:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Website Gallery Login Register Donate  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The great WD40 debate!  (Read 15110 times)
Alan
Stunt Rider

« on: February 22, 2009, 16:56:36 »

Elsewhere I stated my dislike of WD40 on electrical connectors, so I thought it may be good for us to discuss the pros and cons of this much-used product.

If I'm correct, WD40 is effectively a lubricant which can add resistance to electrical connections, maybe not such a big deal on power hungry ones but damaging on electronic circuits where a few ohms can make a lot of difference. A proper contact cleaner would be much better suited.

I agree WD40 is a great general purpose cleaner / lubricant for cleaning and freeing up things (although I prefer Plug Gas for seized threads).

Similar theory applies to grease in connectors. An proper electrical contact grease will prevent damp and corrosion but still allow electrical continuity where ordinary grease may well keep out the elements but have an insulating effect on the contacts.

Pre SL 250 and 500evo (both now gone), Royal Enfield Bullet 500
julian
Stunt Rider

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 17:30:01 »

I tend to use products from places like Maplins for cleaning and lubricating electrical connectors, switches etc, and Holtz polyurethane sealant for keeping the damp out. That doesn't mean I wouldn't use WD40 as an emergency solution to a problem i nthe absence of the right products.
JJ
Resident Forum Rain God
Rider for the Ride
Old Timer

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 22:33:27 »

I use electrical contact cleaner for electrics and white spray grease to keep connectors dry.

On stiff and seized bolts/nuts I use penetrating fluid.

On everything else I use WD40

JJ Over 70k total X9 Miles -
Follow that with over 90k on Burgmans

2014 Blue Triumph Bonneville America
USR, FBOS,

A survivor of :Isle of Wight, Shropshire, France '04&05, Wales,Wessex, Hay on Wye and Minehead..it rained! Germany 08..we got lost!!! Kings Lynn 09 ...it rained on the way back !!! Kent 8 - they ran away!!!! About to get lost in France '11

Smoke me a Kipper...
Dave Milnes
Administrator
Old Timer

Fylde Coast

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 23:10:23 »

The problem with other alternatives is that they are not as universally 'safe' as WD-40. They have a narrow range of usage and materials they are safe to be used on. WD-40 can be sprayed on just about anything as it evaporates fairly quickly leaving only a very slightly oily deposit.

When greasing electrical connectors to keep out damp, the main concern is that petroleum based greases will soften and even rot plastic and rubber connectors. You need an inert grease either silicone based or one of the greases approved for use in lubricating food production equipment. Some of these are water soluble, but need a good pressure flush to remove and act quite well enough as a water proofer against general damp and weather penetration. White brake grease works well as it's designed to be used on rubber seals.
Red diesel is the best rusty nut penetrating oil thinned with a bit of paraffin. Coppaslip prevents then seizing in the first place.

2004 X9 500 Evo in YELLOW - 2016 Maxsym 600i Sport
Anderton 2004, Pen-y-cae 2005, Matlock 2006, Hay on Wye 2007, Minehead 2008, St Florence 2010, Newent 2011, North Kyme 2012, Betsw-y-coed 2013, Hardraw 2014, Parkend 2015, Whitby 2016, Mundesley 2017, Derby 2018, Telford 2019, Loch Doon 2020, Cumbria 2021.
ShaunA
Cafe Racer

Bond - The Pride of Preston

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 11:35:37 »

Red diesel is the best rusty nut penetrating oil thinned with a bit of paraffin.
Good stuff for freeing seized engines.

Tinkerbell Blue 500 EVO
ET4, PX200, Cosa 200 sold, LML NV150, LML Star 150, MotoVespa 125, Bond P3x2, (Triumph Tigress 250 & T10 - SOLD), Zundapp Bella sold, IWL Berlin sold, Raleigh Roma.
Derek
Old Fart
Old Timer

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 11:55:05 »

It has other uses too.

When I was a kid and wanted to be older, this $hit was not what I expected

FuocoRider.co.uk
creamcrackered
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 19:54:35 »

with WD40 it's not 'across the board' imo.

depends on the connection type, if a bolt and eye washer type as found on batteries and earth points or heavy spade connectors then as long as the connection is made prior, and sprayed afterwards it will act as a protective and anti corrosion agent, but the 'red jelly' bttey grease id far better.

i'd be wary of using it on fuse holders and the like. it is popular to spay it on HT caps in wet weather to disperse water, but i've seen it sprayed on so thick it actually causes the spark to leak down the casing and prevent the engine running.
gravyonmychin
Cafe Racer

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 23:46:04 »

Supposedly its made from ..fish oils, apparently some folk..older ones, have found great relief from painful joints by spraying it on them.....or is it all a mind trick

X9 500 EVO  '06' Smoke Grey
Ferrit
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 12:10:18 »

I did try this, but all it did was make a mess of my clothing and sheets.  Might work better if it could be injected into my joint to stop all the bone rubbing.  As it is, I will stick to taking my fish oil orally, nothing like a nice fried mackeral for tea
julian
Stunt Rider

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 12:57:08 »

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/wd-40.asp
Texan
Cafe Racer

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 21:15:35 »

If it moves and its not supposed to, use duct tape. If its supposed to move and doesn't, use WD-40 : ) Check this out!!

More About WD-40 Well, Who Knew...? I heard a story about a guy who had bought a new pickup that someone had spray painted red all around the sides of this beige truck. He just got out his WD-40 and cleaned it off. It removed the unwanted paint beautifully and did not harm his paint job that was on the truck.

WD-40 who knew? Water Displacement #40. The product began from a search for a rust preventative solvent and degreaser to protect missile parts. W D-40 was created in 1953 by three technicians at the San Diego Rocket Chemical Company. Its name comes from the project that was to find a "water displacement" compound. They were successful with the fortieth formulation, thus WD-40. The Corvair Company bought it in bulk to protect their atlas missile parts. Ken East (one of the original founders) says there is nothing in WD-40 that would hurt you. When you read the "shower door" part, try it. It's the first thing that has ever cleaned that spotty shower door. If yours is plastic, it works just as well as glass. It's a miracle! Then try it on your stovetop... Voila! It's now shinier than it's ever been. You'll be amazed.

Here are some of the uses:
1) Protects silver from tarnishing.
2) Removes road tar and grime from cars.
3) Cleans and lubricates guitar strings.
4) Gives floors that 'just-waxed' sheen without making it slippery.
5) Keeps flies off cows.
6) Restores and cleans chalkboards.
7) Removes lipstick stains.
8) Loosens stubborn zippers.
9) Untangles jewelry chains.
10) Removes stains from stainless steel sinks.
11) Removes dirt and grime from the barbecue grill.
12) Keeps ceramic/terra cotta garden pots from oxidizing.
13) Removes tomato stains from clothing.
14) Keeps glass shower doors free of water spots.
15) Camouflages scratches in ceramic and marble floors.
16) Keeps scissors working smoothly.
17) Lubricates noisy door hinges on vehicles and doors in homes!
18) It removes black scuff marks from the kitchen floor! Use WD-40 for those nasty tar and scuff marks on flooring. It doesn't seem to harm the finish and you won't have to scrub nearly as hard to get them off. Just remember to open some windows if you have a lot of marks.
19) Bug guts will eat away the finish on your car if not removed quickly! Use WD-40!
20) Gives a childrens play gym slide a shine for a super fast slide.
21) Lubricates gear shift and mower deck lever for ease of handling on riding mowers.
22) Rids kids rocking chairs and swings of squeaky noises.
23) Lubricates tracks in sticking home windows and makes them easier to open.
24) Spraying an umbrella stem makes it easier to open and close.
25) Restores and cleans padded leather dashboards in vehicles, as well as vinyl bumpers.
26) Restores and cleans roof racks on vehicles.
27) Lubricates and stops squeaks in electric fans.
28) Lubricates wheel sprockets on tricycles, wagons, and bicycles for easy handling.
29) Lubricates fan belts on washers and dryers and keeps them running smoothly.
30) Keeps rust from forming on saws and saw blades, and other tools.
31) Removes splattered grease on stove.
32) Keeps bathroom mirror from fogging.
33) Lubricates prosthetic limbs.
34) Keeps pigeons off the balcony (they hate the smell).
35) Removes all traces of duct tape.
36) Folks even spray it on their arms, hands, and knees to relieve arthritis pain.
37)  Florida's favorite use is: "cleans and removes love bugs from grills and bumpers."
38) The favorite use in the state of  New York WD-40 protects the Statue of  Liberty from the elements.
39) WD-40 attracts fish. Spray a LITTLE on live bait or lures and you will be catching the big one in no time. Also, it's a lot cheaper than the chemical attractants that are made for just that purpose. Keep in mind though, using some chemical laced baits or lures for fishing are not allowed in some states.
40) Use it for fire ant bites. It takes the sting away immediately and stops the itch.
41) WD-40 is great for removing crayon from walls. Spray on the mark and wipe with a clean rag.
42) Also, if you've discovered that your teenage daughter has washed and dried a tube of lipstick with a load of laundry, saturate the lipstick spots with WD-40 and re-wash. Presto! Lipstick is gone!
43) If you sprayed WD-40 on the distributor cap, it would displace the moisture and allow the car to start. P. S. The basic ingredient is FISH OIL. P. P. S.You can keep a can of WD-40 in the kitchen cabinet over the stove. It is good for oven burns or any other type of burn. It takes the burned feeling away and heals with NO scarring.

Let's hear it for WD-40!

Texan
creamcrackered
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 10:22:44 »

great as it is, and as a blue blooded bloke, i love the smell of WD40, just as i do of petrol and oil on a hot day not forgetting Red X and Plus Gas - but i'm married and her indoors would not appreciate it if i buffed up the wooden lounge floor with a can of WD40, her having just had replacement knee surgery to both legs. i also think she might kick off if i used it on the stove tops and tainted the food even though i can't see anything wrong with that kind of seasoning.

as for the shower paritions it would really score as it might overcome the smell of her carbolic soap.
Texan
Cafe Racer

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 23:29:25 »

Just tell the wife you untangled (#9) all her jewelry chains, that will account for the smell in the house...

Texan
Rocketman
Old Timer

Northampton Honda Forza 350

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 08:12:38 »

Hi.....nowhere near sure if i am about to do the proper thing.........but i intend to take the Quad out in to the mud for a bit of fun,what i propse to do is give the Quad a good soaking with the WD40 can before i go off-road,spraying the engine etc,then when i am done for the day give it a good blast with the karcher or the local jet wash(remembering not to get to close)then when its completely dry give the engine another thin coat of WD40,until i go off-road again when i will repeat the earlier process.

Good idea YES/NO

Steve

Steve
Ride Safe Ride Upright
Toastmaker general at Craig Y Nos castle 2005
 ISLE OF WIGHT 2004,  WALES 2005,  MATLOCK 2006,  HAY ON WYE 2007. MINEHEAD 2008. NORFOLK 2009. PEMBROKESHIRE 2010. NEWENT 2011. NTH KYME LINCS 2012. SNOWDONIA 2013. YORKSHIRE DALES 2014. FOREST OF DEAN 2015. WHITBY 2016.MUNDESLEY 2017.DERBY 2018.TELFORD 2019.
SCOTLAND 2015 SCOTLAND 2023

Honda Forza 350

Texan
Cafe Racer

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2009, 15:32:39 »

A coating of WD-40 never hurt any engine, make sure it's cooled down first.  If you spray it on the exhaust pipe or other parts that get really hot and then start the engine later it may smoke a bit but nothing negative happens.

I would use a sticky chain lube on the chain though, WD-40 isn't going to provide enough lube for the chain/sprockets.

Texan
Rocketman
Old Timer

Northampton Honda Forza 350

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2009, 17:38:03 »

A coating of WD-40 never hurt any engine, make sure it's cooled down first.  If you spray it on the exhaust pipe or other parts that get really hot and then start the engine later it may smoke a bit but nothing negative happens.

I would use a sticky chain lube on the chain though, WD-40 isn't going to provide enough lube for the chain/sprockets.

Thanks for that Tex.....no need to worry about the chain,its a shaft drive 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive with a diff lock in case i get reall y stuck.

Steve

Steve
Ride Safe Ride Upright
Toastmaker general at Craig Y Nos castle 2005
 ISLE OF WIGHT 2004,  WALES 2005,  MATLOCK 2006,  HAY ON WYE 2007. MINEHEAD 2008. NORFOLK 2009. PEMBROKESHIRE 2010. NEWENT 2011. NTH KYME LINCS 2012. SNOWDONIA 2013. YORKSHIRE DALES 2014. FOREST OF DEAN 2015. WHITBY 2016.MUNDESLEY 2017.DERBY 2018.TELFORD 2019.
SCOTLAND 2015 SCOTLAND 2023

Honda Forza 350

Red Dragon
Full Cat A

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 12:18:50 »

Hi, I have used WD-40 on fishing bait, But am I right in thinking it is NOT!  a lubricant,but a Water Dispersant.
Dave Milnes
Administrator
Old Timer

Fylde Coast

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2009, 21:03:44 »

Poor fish! The base component is petroleum naptha based and definitely not to be ingested although it probably won't kill you.

2004 X9 500 Evo in YELLOW - 2016 Maxsym 600i Sport
Anderton 2004, Pen-y-cae 2005, Matlock 2006, Hay on Wye 2007, Minehead 2008, St Florence 2010, Newent 2011, North Kyme 2012, Betsw-y-coed 2013, Hardraw 2014, Parkend 2015, Whitby 2016, Mundesley 2017, Derby 2018, Telford 2019, Loch Doon 2020, Cumbria 2021.
julian
Stunt Rider

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2009, 21:33:53 »

Just because it is a water dispersant doesn't stop it being a lubricant, it is just a very light lubricant, but that can be a good thing.
bpfh

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2014, 10:48:26 »

Just a quick update on this, yonks later, I don't recommend spraying a chain with WD-40... It's fair-to-average penetrating oil, and is designed to displace water... but on a (at least a bicycle) chain, it will also penetrate, dilute, dissolve and finally wash away grease in the links and reduce chain life - just remember that it's not really a lubricant!

I also find that it is the best for removing boot scuff marks from the paint on my motorbike as I keep hitting the "trunk" (pannier) of my Pacific Coast with my riding boots when dismounting and it leavs black marks on the paint. A quick spray and a mild amount of effort and the marks come right off!

Honda PC800 Pacific Coast - Piaggio X9 500SL - Volkswagen Bora
julian
Stunt Rider

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2014, 21:55:05 »

It has other uses too.

GT85 smells much better. I am considering marketing a GT85 air freshener.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: