X9 Owners & Riders Club
December 09, 2021, 11:11:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Website Gallery Login Register Donate  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Disc brake problem  (Read 6017 times)
onedrum
« on: October 26, 2007, 07:40:45 »

The front disc on my CG is a little ill.  95% of the time it's fine, but occasionally when braking at low speed to a stop it rasps, shudders and sounds like it's grinding metal.

The pads are fine, about 2mm on them.

I bought disc brake cleaner (MucOff stuff) and gave it a good cleaning, as well as discovering the brake disc cleaner is really good at cleaning other metal bits.    After this the brake was much more smooth and less snaggy (after it settled in after a few miles), but now a week later the noise and rasping is back.

When the dealer looked at it, he said it looked fine and to give it another few 100 miles and see if it beds in, it might be that the pads were not bed in properly or that they have tarnished with the bike being off the road for a few months.  If it persists he would change the pads from me.

Any thoughts?
Dave Milnes
Administrator
Old Timer

Fylde Coast

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 12:24:48 »

Is the disc getting ridged slightly on the outer edge?
If so the dirt that the leading edge of the pad sweeps off the disc cannot get spun off but dries out and hardens, and maybe even some gets down onto the face of the pads. As long as they work it's not a problem and a blast on the pad area with a hosepipe occasionally should keep it from building up too much.

2004 X9 500 Evo in YELLOW - 2016 Maxsym 600i Sport
Anderton 2004, Pen-y-cae 2005, Matlock 2006, Hay on Wye 2007, Minehead 2008, St Florence 2010, Newent 2011, North Kyme 2012, Betsw-y-coed 2013, Hardraw 2014, Parkend 2015, Whitby 2016, Mundesley 2017, Derby 2018, Telford 2019, Loch Doon 2020.
onedrum
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 18:45:04 »

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner Dave.

It seems the inner edge of the disc is 'spoking' there are criss-cross marking like spokes for about half an inch of the inner brake area on the rotor.

I suppose I'll just keep cleaning it every week or too (as soon as it p***ses me off) until I can get new pads in it and see if they help.

Thanks again.
enter4prise
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 19:38:45 »

When you say it shudders when braking do you mean the front end feels like its shakes. mine does that and is due i think to a slight bend int he front right disk ( riding off with disk lock on ).

Have you checked to see if the disk is perfecly round and stright when you spin the wheel ?

From X9er-solo
onedrum
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 22:03:11 »

I mentioned the brake problem, when about to do an emergence stop, to my new bike driving instructor, who runs 8 CG125's for training day in day out he said,

"Yea, it will do that.  Take a billo pad to it and score the hell out of it running round the disc.  It will clean it up for a month or two."

I think it's something to do with the brake being a single cylinder type.  So only one side is active.

So it looks like I just have to live with it and clean it fairly often and fairly well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: